• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 19 gen 5 unusual wear pattern?

Beretta92FS

NES Member
Just noticed what seem like unusual or excessive wear pattern on my Glock 19 gen 5. See pictures. I estimate the gun has less than 1000 rounds through it. I always keep it clean and well oiled. It is 100% reliable and a great shooter.

Yes I realize that it's a machine with parts moving around, but I don't recall my previous Glock 19 gen 4 had wear patterns like this. Maybe the Gen 5 just have tighter tolerances than the Gen 4, so such wear patterns are to be expected.

What say the experts?

IMG_0724.JPEG

IMG_0723.JPEG

IMG_0722.JPEG

IMG_0721.JPEG

IMG_0720.JPEG

I'll be lurking on this thread. It doesn't look 'bad' to me, just the finish worn off of a moving part.

That said, if it is an issue, I'm interested to see.

^^^

It indicates that you have fired more than 1 box (50 rounds) of ammo through your pistol and can no longer claim "Low Round Count" status in the Classifieds... [rofl]
This for sure.

I don't see it being an issue but I'm no Glock guy. My CZ pistol barrels have more wear than that but they've got thousands upon thousands of rounds through them.

^^^

It indicates that you have fired more than 1 box (50 rounds) of ammo through your pistol and can no longer claim "Low Round Count" status in the Classifieds... [rofl]
it - the wear - kinda stabilizes after first 1000. :)
if it does not - it means the gun has flaws. mine are fine. :)

Wow the new Glock top coat finish sucks compared to their older Gen4 and Gen3 shiny style. My Gen 4 Glock 19 just had a very light line mark on the hood of the ejection part of the barrel after 2500 rounds. They changed their tenifer original metal treatment to an alternate melonite method but it shouldn't affect the protective qualities. Do you run this thing bone dry? Might be worth putting a bit more of TW25b grease on the worn out bits to slow the wearing.

Wow the new Glock top coat finish sucks compared to their older Gen4 and Gen3 shiny style.
Yeah, but on the plus side... pizza sauce won't stick to it...

Wow the new Glock top coat finish sucks compared to their older Gen4 and Gen3 shiny style. My Gen 4 Glock 19 just had a very light line mark on the hood of the ejection part of the barrel after 2500 rounds. They changed their tenifer original metal treatment to an alternate melonite method but it shouldn't affect the protective qualities. Do you run this thing bone dry? Might be worth putting a bit more of TW25b grease on the worn out bits to slow the wearing.
I agree with this. I fired 200 rounds out of my Gen 5 and already notice finish wear much more than my older Gen 4's that have almost 800-1K or more rounds thru. I lube both the same....its not the lube, it the topcoat

My Gen 5 looked like the OPs after the first box of ammo. 5,000 rounds later, it is exactly the same and hasn't changed. Definitely different coating on the Gen 5 vs Gen 3

"DLC" = Diamond-Like Coating.

I remember when diamonds were harder... [rofl]

Just noticed what seem like unusual or excessive wear pattern on my Glock 19 gen 5. See pictures. I estimate the gun has less than 1000 rounds through it. I always keep it clean and well oiled. It is 100% reliable and a great shooter.
Did you remember to follow a proper break-in period?
  • Don't use CLP - use a proper break-in lubricant.
  • No +P ammo for the first 500-1000 rounds.
  • Load the magazines with varying boolit weights - never more than five rounds in a row with the same weight.

• Load the magazines with varying boolit weights - never more than five rounds in a row with the same weight.
jeazus fecking christ. it is a glock. spit on it and shoot it.

on a serious note - do it any way you want. i always rub all oil off new gun dry clean, put a tiny amount of AR high viscous oil on the finger and apply a very little of it on the barrel where it contacts the slide. then run a pack of 50 rounds - then take it all apart, wipe it clean, look for wear, then apply a thin layer or none of oil and run 100 rounds more.
you need to make metal wear where it is in contact so it would start cycling well on light loads. excessive lubrication will only extend the struggle.

ps. my gen5 g34 did not 'like' 115gr lite ammo for quite a while, until rings started to form and upper part of the barrel edge worked out a bit. both g17 were much less of a pita.

Last edited:
Man, I've heard conflicting guidance. One winning shop said they just run it hard for 50 rounds, clean and lube, flog it for 450 more, clean and lube, then never think about it again.

Another said just drop it in the gravel, pick it up and live your life, comfortable in the knowledge it's already scratched.

Others give this whole shuck and jive about babying it.

I don't know what to believe any more

I don't know what to believe any more
and when people start discussing the 'how to brake in a new AK' i am just losing it. :)

of glocks - only glocks i ever saw that consistently refused to cycle well were all p80 frames with some odd slides on them. on a factory glock once the coating evened up and sharp edges smoothed - usually - it is the end. the faster you get there the easier it is.

Back
Top Bottom