Glock 19 Gen 4 issue with magazines

Alex9661

NES Member
Ok, ladies and gents, I just got a brand new G19 Gen4 and I have a question re magazine compatibility. I have a bunch of G17 and G19 magazines in all flavors, FML and NFML, 10-rounders and normal capacity. All of my NFML magazines are difficult to insert, it appears that they have to overcome the mag catch, and then they have to be pulled with considerable effort from the magwell after the mag release is pressed. None of my FML magazines exhibit that. All of my G17 mags, both FML and NFML, insert and drop free just fine in my beater G17 Gen2. It looks like the Gen4's mag catch doesn't like my NFML magazines. Has anyone else encountered that issue and what's the solution?

This is what I found from a Glock parts website.
Please note: Gen 4 magazines must be used in Gen 4 guns only if the magazine release is switched from the left side to the right side (for left-handed shooters). In any other case all previous generation magazines will fit the Gen4 and all Gen 4 magazines will fit all guns from previous generations.

i noticed a very slight difference in feed lips on the magazines to feed ramp of the barrel, when using the older preban mags between the two generations.

it also could be a difference in the feed ramp cut out ..

Glock_barrels1.jpg

Last edited:
I had feeding issues with U notch NFML in my Gen 4 19. It was easily solved by adding a new magazine spring and the latest follower.

I tested both a new glock spring out of a new standard capacity mag and a Wolff spring and both work well (gunsprings.com)
It was startling how much shorter the free length of the old spring was than either the OEM or Wolff spring.

I tested the new follower out of my standard capacity mag and it worked, so I bought a 3 pack on Amazon prime.

With the new follower the slide does not lock back. This is fine for me because I do not carry a spare mag. Also since I'm left handed and on rare occasions have had the mag release triggered by my trigger finger under recoil, a non drop free mag is preferred for everything except for competition.

The U notch mags also tend to crack if left loaded outside of the gun. In the gun they are find since the round pushes up against the bottom of the slide and relieves pressure on the lips. If outside the gun, fully loaded, the spring pushes the rounds in a way that tries to spread the tapered end of the mag.

Don

Old smelly U notch mags are poop and need to be refurbed most of the time to make them useable.

-Mike

yeh that is what i hate about this pre ban mag crap.. spend 50+ dollars on a preban, then spend another 15 dollars plus shipping to get a spring and follower for it ...

yeh that is what i hate about this pre ban mag crap.. spend 50+ dollars on a preban, then spend another 15 dollars plus shipping to get a spring and follower for it ...

I wouldn't spend nearly that much on a preban. Look in junk boxes in gun shops in free state gun shops and gun shows. People just about throw the things away everywhere else.

-Mike

I got my U notch ones for less than $20 ea on gunbroker. I bought 5 or 6.

For me, the non-drop free and lack of slide lock are benefits. So I'm willing to refurb them with a new follower and spring.

Don

Thank you for your contribution. I'm also anticipating a request to provide pictures of my wife and GF.

wife AND GF??? You are a brave man.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend nearly that much on a preban. Look in junk boxes in gun shops in free state gun shops and gun shows. People just about throw the things away everywhere else.

-Mike

mike always knows best .. and now i don't even want to think about how much i overspent on preban glock mags...

mike always knows best .. and now i don't even want to think about how much i overspent on preban glock mags...

Yes, I realize its not as convenient, and you can pick up the easy to find ones for $50 or whatever they try to sell them for in MA... but I'd rather forage or go without than overpay for a mag.

-Mike

I'm aware of feeding and slide lock issues with NFML magazines. My question was about hard insertion and pull out even when empty that I'm positive have nothing to do with mag springs and followers. It looks like the Gen4 mag catch is the culprit, and no, I'm not a lefty, the button is on the left side.

I have some 15 round mags(NFML) for my Gen 4 19, they tend to swell when fully loaded. I leave it one round short and it is much better. The follower/spring issue came into play with feeding hollow points. The kept jamming on the ramp, changing the internals helped that also.

I'm aware of feeding and slide lock issues with NFML magazines. My question was about hard insertion and pull out even when empty that I'm positive have nothing to do with mag springs and followers. It looks like the Gen4 mag catch is the culprit, and no, I'm not a lefty, the button is on the left side.

My button is on the left side also. that has nothing to do with it. (I don't actually know a single LH glock shooter who reverses the mag release. We get used to using our trigger or middle finger and just go with it. ) My reference to being a lefty is with a gun with the mag release left in the standard location.

Re insertion and removal. This is the first I've ever heard of this problem when using a Gen4 gun with an old mag.

Are there any burrs on the mags?

All of mine insert fine. All of mine release fine with the only friction being the mag body against the inside of the grip. i.e. not drop free, but smooth

If the non drop free mags don't have burrs on the catch, I'd give take teh mag release out and see what it looks like. I'd probably just order another mag release for comparison, since they're under $10.

Or you could just buy a later model NFML mag.

OP-

i have mentioned this exact issue w a glock 26 gen 4 on NES and twice been told i was "doing something wrong".

IMO the NFML mags are crap and I am donw dealing w them. if i want a preban mag then its a P226 or 92.

OP-

i have mentioned this exact issue w a glock 26 gen 4 on NES and twice been told i was "doing something wrong".

IMO the NFML mags are crap and I am donw dealing w them. if i want a preban mag then its a P226 or 92.

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't like the NFML mags, then just buy a FML preban glock mag.
Issues with the NFML are no reason to give up on the platform if you like or shoot it better than a Sig or Beretta.

My NFML U-notch mags don't give me any issues in my Gen 3 or Gen 4.
I replaced all the internals, and no more jams or feeding issues.
Like someone else said, the mag bodies swell up pretty good when fully loaded, and they'll almost always need help falling from the magwell.

I'm curious if the mag catch was your culprit, no issues with my gen 4 though.
I have an extended one on my G17 (gen 3) and really like it.

EDIT: Have you ever inserted these mags into another gen 4 gun? To find out if it's actually the mag release OR if thats just how it feels?

That doesn't make any sense. If you don't like the NFML mags, then just buy a FML preban glock mag.
Issues with the NFML are no reason to give up on the platform if you like or shoot it better than a Sig or Beretta.

IMO = in my opinion

the going price for FML preban mags is ridiculous. No thx. Again this is personal preference...hence "IMO".

Again, we are still at the OP's question which goes unanswered. My personal fix was to bevel the mag catch to allow insertion of NFML mag, otherwise the mag release had to be depressed to insert. Ultimately I said screw it not worth all the bullshit to make NFML mags run properly.

cant remember last time I heard Glock doing any recent limited runs of NFML mags for the dedicated glock-heads....the reason is they blow.

IMO = in my opinion

the going price for FML preban mags is ridiculous. No thx. Again this is personal preference...hence "IMO".

Again, we are still at the OP's question which goes unanswered. My personal fix was to bevel the mag catch to allow insertion of NFML mag, otherwise the mag release had to be depressed to insert. Ultimately I said screw it not worth all the bullshit to make NFML mags run properly.

cant remember last time I heard Glock doing any recent limited runs of NFML mags for the dedicated glock-heads....the reason is they blow.

I understand its your opinion. That's fine. That's what we do here. Discuss and debate our opinions along with fact.

You say that the Glock FML mags are ridiculous. But have you seen the price of a Sig 226 pre-ban mag?? I haven't. Because I went on gunbroker and could not find a single one for sale.

When you consider that a post ban 226 mag is $50. I'm guessing its not cheap.

In My Opinion - if you like the Glock, then buy a few preban mags for the Glock. If you like the Sig, then get the sig and some mags. Etc. You get my point. It seems ridiculous to buy something other than what you want for a $50 difference in cost.

One other thing. If you like the Glock, there are devices you can put into the mag to limit them to 10 rounds. Which gets around using the horrible pseudo single stack 10 round glock cripplemags. Drive to NH, VT, ME, or RI with your mag blocks, buy a bunch of standard capacity mags and bring them back to MA. I'd not have any problem using these for the range. I'd only carry pre-bans or keep pre-bans for HD.

I don't want to debate the legality of the limiters. I just wanted to throw it out there.

I had this exact same problem. I finally read somewhere that NFMLs were designed to expand when full. This was actually the desired effect. If you insert an empty mag, you will likely find much less (or no) resistance. Not that it's a solution, but I have the exact same issue with my g19. I do have one mag that has a bit more give than others, but none of them will drop when full. They do however drop free with a shaking motion when dropping spent mag as they're not expanded. I can't recall now where I read it. Sorry for not being able to send you to the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand its your opinion. That's fine. That's what we do here. Discuss and debate our opinions along with fact.

You say that the Glock FML mags are ridiculous. But have you seen the price of a Sig 226 pre-ban mag?? I haven't. Because I went on gunbroker and could not find a single one for sale.

Not all that long ago I used to buy shitloads of them in NOS condition for like $30 a pop or less. Same with P228 mags. Not nearly as common as 92 series mags but still relatively common. My guess is Squib308 probably has a stash of them laid in at this point like I did.

As far as the limiters go, if they're not permanent IMHO they're pretty much worthless. It would be a triviality for an anti gun cop to make the limiter part disappear into the trash and be missing when it shows up in court as evidence. About the only worth for them is a dog and pony show for that LEO on the side of the road, but chances are if an anti cop wants to shake someone down, they're not going to let the victim "plead their case on the side of the road" or what have you, anyways.

I agree with the "buy whatever gun works best" philosophy, though. I mean I ****ing hate cripplemags, but if I was backed into a corner WRT the mags/law/etc, I'd still take a gun I shot well with cripplemags over a gun I didn't shoot well that held more ammunition.

-Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

One thought on the limiters is to glue the base plate on when installed. Then if anyone tries to mess with them, there will be obvious signs. Re cleaning, you can still clean a glock mag with a bottle brush under the faucet, then pop it in my convection oven for an hour at 120 degrees. They are such a pain in the butt to get apart, that that's how I clean my unaltered standard capacity mags. Its just easier. And even then, I usually only clean a given mag every 5 years. Hardly worth worrying about.

Don

Back
Top Bottom