• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock 19 gen 3 build

Hey guys, I was thinking about purchasing a glock 19 frame from a user on this site in MA. (Specifically this one WTS - Brand New Glock 19 Gen3 Black Complete Frame. )
I found these parts and was just wondering if I'll have any trouble doing this build. It seems fairly easy and I was just curious, once I purchase a frame similar to the thread link posted, is it as simple as completing my build and than registering? This seems like the way to go to save some money AND get a brand new firearm opposed to used. If anyone has done this before I'd really appreciate some info/advice, maybe I'm underestimating this project.

Swenson Slide with Vortex Venom, Burris Fastfire 3 Red Dot Sight Cut Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm Luger Stainless Steel Melonite

Swenson Barrel Glock 19 9mm Luger 1 in 16" Twist 4.56" Steel Melonite 1/2" - 28 Threaded Muzzle with Thread Protector

Lone Wolf Guide Rod Assembly Glock 19, 23, 32, 38 Stainless Steel

Trijicon Bright & Tough Night Sight Set Glock 17, 17L, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38 and 39 Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Steel Matte 3-Dot Tritium Green

I have done it and am happy I did. Build, then register on the portal. The slide you picked out is stripped with no internals. Make sure you buy all the parts- there’s more than a barrel and guide rod assembly. It might be easier to find a complete oem slide but I don’t know what the current market is like for them. They’re usually somewhere around $300-400 online. A lot of people like to ask absolutely insane prices for glocks in MA on the used market. When you do it this way, it’s usually around $600. Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention this is a great route if you plan to customize. That’s what originally directed me to going this route because I could get what I wanted the first time with custom parts instead of using a donor gun.

Last edited:
Yah I know I left out some stuff for the slide but included the most expensive portions. I figured if I'm going to end up spending $700 on a glock I may as well get a new one that I built instead of buy someone's used gun.

I have done it and am happy I did. Build, then register on the portal. The slide you picked out is stripped with no internals. Make sure you buy all the parts- there’s more than a barrel and guide rod assembly. It might be easier to find a complete oem slide but I don’t know what the current market is like for them. They’re usually somewhere around $300-400 online. A lot of people like to ask absolutely insane prices for glocks in MA on the used market. When you do it this way, it’s usually around $600. Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention this is a great route if you plan to customize. That’s what originally directed me to going this route because I could get what I wanted the first time with custom parts instead of using a donor gun.

I found this link Glock Gen 4 OEM Slides (Stripped & Complete) G17, 19, 26, 34, 43, 43X & 48

A complete slide from the runs about $389 which is what I had on midway for charge. If I were to purchase this package on that website I'd imagine it would be an incredibly easy build, correct?

Also that's a great point as I wouldn't have any plans to sell and would probably love to upgrade in the near future.

I just went through their page and it looks like most of their inventory for Glock 19’s is out of stock. You’re probably going to run into that problem a lot now given the current climate.

For any firearms enthusiast the lower and upper should be fairly straight forward to complete by yourself. Especially with Glock, there’s a ton of literature and videos showing the process. I’d check gun broker if you don’t want to wait for items to be in stock. Sometimes you can find a deal from someone who’s selling a used slide.

I found this link Glock Gen 4 OEM Slides (Stripped & Complete) G17, 19, 26, 34, 43, 43X & 48

A complete slide from the runs about $389 which is what I had on midway for charge. If I were to purchase this package on that website I'd imagine it would be an incredibly easy build, correct?

Also that's a great point as I wouldn't have any plans to sell and would probably love to upgrade in the near future.

Make sure a Gen4 frame will work on the frame you get.

Example: a P80 build only works with up to Gen3 slides
I don't know if you can slap a Gen4 Slide on a previous gen Glock

PS the other thing you have to watch out for in a Frankenbuild, with slides that are cut out, optics added and such is that Glocks are kind of fussy about the recoil spring, so if you start adding or subtracting weight from the slide, you may have cycling issues and you'll wind up having to chase recoil springs to get one that works

Make sure a Gen4 frame will work on the frame you get.

Example: a P80 build only works with up to Gen3 slides
I don't know if you can slap a Gen4 Slide on a previous gen Glock

This^^^ very good point. Various gen slides are compatible but require modifications to do so. For example, gen 4 and 5 can be interchangeable with different back plates. (I’m citing this from memory so don’t quote me on it, but it’s something to that effect).

Great information, thanks guys. Literally every site I've found with a complete slide is out of stock. $250 isn't much to spend on a frame for me but I'm hesitant if I have to wait X amount of time to finesse a purchase for the slide..

I definitely want to stick with OEM parts for sure. To me, it just doesn't sound great to go ahead and buy a nice new frame and start putting aftermarket stuff on it. I'd probably have the same experience buying a used gun (in MY opinion).

Great information, thanks guys. Literally every site I've found with a complete slide is out of stock. $250 isn't much to spend on a frame for me but I'm hesitant if I have to wait X amount of time to finesse a purchase for the slide..

You are competing with everyone that is trying to do a P80 or other 80% kit, so parts are REALLY hard to find due to panic buying

Some good sources for parts and ideas:

Glockstore.com
Glockparts.com
Glockmeister.com

Build based on your intended use. If it’s primarily for carry or HD you want fairly standard and reliable parts. You don’t want a super light trigger or a lot of the competition parts on your carry gun. If it’s primarily for range or competition that’s a different story.

I'd imagine it would be most wise to just wait till after this panic situation is over...much better luck buying stuff then I'd imagine, right?

I just don't want to let this new frame go as I'd imagine those are pretty hard to come by in MA, specifically G19 frames.

Thanks again for the replies,

from what I've researched/read via this thread/other information I'm going to stick with complete OEM slides and just wait till their back in stock...if ever.

I'd imagine it would be most wise to just wait till after this panic situation is over...much better luck buying stuff then I'd imagine, right?

I just don't want to let this new frame go as I'd imagine those are pretty hard to come by in MA, specifically G19 frames.

Thanks again for the replies,

from what I've researched/read via this thread/other information I'm going to stick with complete OEM slides and just wait till their back in stock...if ever.

They'll definitely come back in stock. Just have to be patient and wait for the panic buying to die down and stores to get their inventory back up.

The only thing that has any difficulty with regard installing slide parts is the striker
channel liner. It gets pressed in and is easy to deform. Easy to do if care is taken but is just as easy to f up. Just something to keep in mind if going the build route. Also, you don’t have to fear frames becoming unobtainable in MA. If you want that frame for that price then have at it but don’t start jonesing thinking “I gotta get it before it’s gone.” I ordered gen3 19 and 17 frames online and had my dealer take them in and transfer to me. The 19 is
complete for under $250 with oem parts. The 17 is still stripped in safe. Granted there is a run on parts right now but the stock will build back up. If this build is needed now then disregard most of this post 👍

What barrel do you all recommend for a G34?
Preferably threaded.

I see a lot of Silencerco, I did some Googling and found some forums where people say they are pretty good. What do you think?

The only thing that has any difficulty with regard installing slide parts is the striker
channel liner. It gets pressed in and is easy to deform. Easy to do if care is taken but is just as easy to f up. Just something to keep in mind if going the build route. Also, you don’t have to fear frames becoming unobtainable in MA. If you want that frame for that price then have at it but don’t start jonesing thinking “I gotta get it before it’s gone.” I ordered gen3 19 and 17 frames online and had my dealer take them in and transfer to me. The 19 is
complete for under $250 with oem parts. The 17 is still stripped in safe. Granted there is a run on parts right now but the stock will build back up. If this build is needed now then disregard most of this post 👍

Great information & advice, I hope they become more available fairly soon as I definitely want to stick with oem even though this will not replace my current EDC and will mostly be used at the range. I'm just glad when all is said & done I'll be paying fair prices for new materials opposed to unfair prices for used materials.

Decided to move further with the purchase as I've received some info from a lot of oem product sites saying they dont expect restock for some time.

Am I forgetting anything, not realizing something, any recommendations? $475 when all is said in done for slide, barrel, sights, internals.

Slide

Sights

Barrel

Internals

Decided to move further with the purchase as I've received some info from a lot of oem product sites saying they dont expect restock for some time.

Am I forgetting anything, not realizing something, any recommendations? $475 when all is said in done for slide, barrel, sights, internals.

Slide

Sights

Barrel

Internals
Do you already have the frame parts kit?

Slide

Sights

Barrel

Internals

Not a bad price. If you plan to put a Burris FF3 red dot on the slide you'll need suppressor height iron sights or you won't be able to see them. If you aren't planning to put a red dot on it it will look odd unless it comes with a blank cover, like the MOS Glocks do.

Not a bad price. If you plan to put a Burris FF3 red dot on the slide you'll need suppressor height iron sights or you won't be able to see them. If you aren't planning to put a red dot on it it will look odd unless it comes with a blank cover, like the MOS Glocks do.

I'd like to put that red dot on for sure, what sights or sight height do I need for the Burris FF3?

If you are considering mostly OEM parts you should just buy a complete pistol. I just bought a new G19 gen4 for $640. MOS models are a bit more expensive.

Problem is, I don't want to buy used if I'm paying the same as if I would be building brand new. I'd really like OEM parts, however not a single dealer/site has any in stock and none have any idea as to when they'll be back in stock. The frame I'm buying is complete which is very nice, if it wasn't a complete frame absolutely I would buy a complete used as I have no desire to build the frame (I'd imagine it's harder than putting the slide together). I watched 1 video on installing the slide insides/parts and more or less looks like putting legos together except for the liner.

I'd like to put that red dot on for sure, what sights would you recommend?
With the slide you are considering, I think Burris FF3 is your only option.

I just put a Trijicon RMR on my G19. They are rugged as hell but the field of view is very small. I prefer Shield RMS and Holosun.

With the slide you are considering, I think Burris FF3 is your only option.

I just put a Trijicon RMR on my G19. They are rugged as hell but the field of view is very small. I prefer Shield RMS and Holosun.

Great feed back, and the burris ff3 is a nice price, not too expensive so I have no problem with that optic, they look nice.
I'll check out the shield rms & holosun.

I'm not 100% stuck on that slide, just looks like a very reliable & commonly purchased after market slide. Like I said I'd MUCH rather pay for the OEM slide...and may end up just selling the aftermarket slide eventually if the stock OEM is sold anytime soon.

Problem is, I don't want to buy used if I'm paying the same as if I would be building brand new. I'd really like OEM parts, however not a single dealer/site has any in stock and none have any idea as to when they'll be back in stock. The frame I'm buying is complete which is very nice, if it wasn't a complete frame absolutely I would buy a complete used as I have no desire to build the frame (I'd imagine it's harder than putting the slide together). I watched 1 video on installing the slide insides/parts and more or less looks like putting legos together except for the liner.

Have you checked with any of the many FFLs in Littleton? If not, you should.

Also, if I plan to just stick with the red dot, and it's mainly going to be a range gun, is it a terrible idea to just not put sights on it at all?

Back
Top Bottom