Glock 17 vs. Glock 22 with 9mm conversion.

I've been considering buying a Glock 17. However, I currently have no guns in .40 and given how common the caliber is, it occurred to me that it might make some sense to own a gun in that caliber (though I'll admit that I can't come up with a detailed reason as to why).

So, while I have no real intention of buying .40 ammo, I figured it might make sense to get a G22 with the Lone Wolf conversion instead of a G17. Does anyone have one of these conversions and if so, how well does it work?

I suppose this also begs the question of, do any of you have a handgun in a particular caliber for the reasons I stated above?

I have always read that there were differences in the extractor too.

With a G22 you can slide a 357sig barrel in it and have a fun to shoot (albeit expensive) gun.

I have the Lonewolf conversion and it has run flawlessly in my G22. All .40 internals will work with the 9mm. Other than the barrel you will need G17 mags and you are good to go.

The extractor and ejector are different for sure, also the weight and balance of the slide. if you just add a conversion barrel it might or might not work reliably, depend on your luck!. The setup would work for range time, but I would not recommend the pistol with the conversion barrel even with the extractor and ejector for self defense.

Last edited:
I have the Lonewolf conversion and it has run flawlessly in my G22. All .40 internals will work with the 9mm. Other than the barrel you will need G17 mags and you are good to go.

+1 on this. I've used Lonewolf 9mm bbls in both G27 and G22 with no other changes other than the magazine. No issues. FWIW, the G27 owner carries with the 9mm barrel. Not sure I'd go that far, but I'd have no concerns about taking one to an IDPA or similar.

I've been considering buying a Glock 17. However, I currently have no guns in .40 and given how common the caliber is, it occurred to me that it might make some sense to own a gun in that caliber (though I'll admit that I can't come up with a detailed reason as to why).

So, while I have no real intention of buying .40 ammo, I figured it might make sense to get a G22 with the Lone Wolf conversion instead of a G17. Does anyone have one of these conversions and if so, how well does it work?

I suppose this also begs the question of, do any of you have a handgun in a particular caliber for the reasons I stated above?

I've gone the other way. I have a few in 9 already, so ideally any additions will be available in 9. I don't feel like having boxes of different ammo types for a single gun. I'd rather be able to use one type for many guns. YMMV

I have a factory Glock 22 with a 9mm CCF/Storm Lake set up and just aquired a Tactical Solutions .22 cal. conversion. I may sell the CCF/Storm Lake 9mm upper as I intended on using it for comp. shooting, but have since got to busy.

IMHO unless your getting the 22 for dirt cheap ( there out there ) than go with the 17. Otherwise the cost of the 22, new barrel, and new mags would never be worth the price of having a gun chambered in a rounds you have no intentions of shooting

I picked up a G22 for decent money and then bought a Lone Wolf 9mm bbl over on a Glock forum. I must be one of the lucky ones as well as I've put several thousand rounds through the 9mm bbl without any issue. Did have to get some G17 mags for it.

Also have a Sig 229 that came in 40. I've picked up a Barsto 9mm conversion bbl for it as well as a Sig 357 Sig bbl for it as well. All three were drop in and work great. Best part is that the 40 mags feed all three calibers without any issues.

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread. I saw the Lone Wolf G22 40-9 threaded conversion barrel. I'm wondering how tight the chambers are cut on these barrels (I reload lead)?

The lone wolf barrels are tight as stated. I bought 3 of the same 40-9 barrels from lonewolf for the g22 and all 3 chambers were slightly different sizes I had 1 that did not like my 9mm lead 125gr rn reloads the chamber was too tight

I just bought an AIM SURPLUS brand conversion barrel for my G22 "Fish Gill". The barrel fitment is perfect, no wobble or gaps. I am very impressed with it actually.

Barrel is accurate for what it is, finish was great and best of all for $90 it was a win. I did not swap any parts, just changed out the barrel, threw in a 9mm magazine and it runs like a top.

I just bought an AIM SURPLUS brand conversion barrel for my G22 "Fish Gill". The barrel fitment is perfect, no wobble or gaps. I am very impressed with it actually.

Barrel is accurate for what it is, finish was great and best of all for $90 it was a win. I did not swap any parts, just changed out the barrel, threw in a 9mm magazine and it runs like a top.
you may develop issues with an ejector, it is usually recommended to swap it also. it is not a lot of work nor $.

Back
Top Bottom