Glock 17 Survives 18-Year, 250,000-Round Torture Test Including 6 Months in Ocean

The report is from 2007 and is an "18 year torture test" - which fits with the authors statement that the pistol was purchased in 1988. So the photos are what, stock pictures of a Gen3 rather than the actual pistol in question? I'd love an explanation of why/how this guy submerged his weapon in "the ocean" for 6 months and recovered it. Lobster trap, or something?

The report is from 2007 and is an "18 year torture test" - which fits with the authors statement that the pistol was purchased in 1988. So the photos are what, stock pictures of a Gen3 rather than the actual pistol in question? I'd love an explanation of why/how this guy submerged his weapon in "the ocean" for 6 months and recovered it. Lobster trap, or something?

Closest body of water for a 'canoe accident '?

It does say

The following Glock 17 torture test piece was written in 2007. It’s been sitting in our archives and we thought it was ripe for the Ballistic Magazine audience. So without further ado, enjoy:

So they've had it shelved for whatever reason

It does say

I can't seem to find it.

He says he "left it" then recovered it "when he came back to that area" six months later. I'm not sure how he'd recover it - at ten meters there's a lot of movement on "the ocean floor" in six months. Unless he anchored a cage of some kind. Maybe. Otherwise he'd be pinning a grid and sifting/detecting for quite some time to find it. RF chip or GPS might help, but the former would be a question of range and the latter a matter of battery life. I guess I'm looking for something a little more than "I left it" like "I placed it in a heavy steel box with holes, painted fluorescent so I could find it again" or "I affixed it to an anchor with a buoy as a marker" or something.

If true... He abandoned a firearm somewhere other than a shallow grave on his own property? Smart fellow. Definitely gives gun owners a good name.

Sorry - without pictures of the testing, or even the firearm, this whole thing seems suspect to me. Possibly to the editors in 2007, too.

The good news is that after you lose your guns in a boating accident, you can sneak back in a few months to retrieve your Glocks.

I can't seem to find it.

He says he "left it" then recovered it "when he came back to that area" six months later. I'm not sure how he'd recover it - at ten meters there's a lot of movement on "the ocean floor" in six months. Unless he anchored a cage of some kind. Maybe. Otherwise he'd be pinning a grid and sifting/detecting for quite some time to find it. RF chip or GPS might help, but the former would be a question of range and the latter a matter of battery life. I guess I'm looking for something a little more than "I left it" like "I placed it in a heavy steel box with holes, painted fluorescent so I could find it again" or "I affixed it to an anchor with a buoy as a marker" or something.

If true... He abandoned a firearm somewhere other than a shallow grave on his own property? Smart fellow. Definitely gives gun owners a good name.

Sorry - without pictures of the testing, or even the firearm, this whole thing seems suspect to me. Possibly to the editors in 2007, too.

Sorry, I should have put a : it was for the beginning part of your comment, as to the rest, no idea

Unless the Glock was in a plastic bag /case or packed with cosomlone /N1 axel grease ... Not sure if I believe the 6 months in salt water thing.

If properly gummed to the gills with goo? Sure!

As soon as I read the title of this post I was going to say I know I've read this before. I think you're right that it gets republished or reworked every so often.

If that's the case, and he's updating it, that's def a long term test lol

"Glock's underwater kit"? where do I get one? as I've always wanted to target shoot in the north Atlantic, and it beats a hook and bait. do they also market a space kit?

Last edited:
"Glock's underwater kit"? where do I get one? as I've always wanted to target shoot in the north Atlantic, and it beats a hook and bait. do they also market a space kit?
The underwater kit is real. It's a set of firing pin spring cups that are scalloped so that water can slide by them rather than having they form a pistol like seal in the firing pin channel when the gun is fired. They are recommended for use only with 9x19, and are a restricted part that Glock will not sell to civilian Glock armorers. An X-acto knife can easily make a pair out of the regular cups.

Back
Top Bottom