Glock 17 or VP 9 ? Owners

Buy both if you don’t mind having 2 striker fired 9mm. I own the HK but have shot both firearms and like them both. I like the HK mag release but I don’t mind the traditional mag release either.
So if you can afford both then buy both.

VP 9 though Gluck is easier to change out parts. Paddle release is faster once your used to it one, of my favorite parts of the vp 9

As a lefty I like the paddle release.

Also note that the 2020 VP9s are now shipping with 17rd mags and milled from the factory for RMRs/optics.
I plan on picking one up once I save a bit, need a VR80 for 3-gun first.

Fellow lefty i also love the paddle release i have a Beretta and the vp9 ill have to add a glock to my collection :)

I have both too and the VP9 is overall a much better gun. I like the paddle release and the grip feels much better. Trigger is nicer out of the box too.

With that said though... if I could only ever have 1... I'd probably take the G17 just because of all the options for mags, parts, accessories.

if you don't like the grip angle but like the availability of parts and cheap mags for glock platform, you could go the p80 frame route. they even have one that is basically 19 length grip but takes 17 length slides... so like a reverse 19x...

VP9. I have both and prefer the paddle as a righty. Once use to it, you can hit it quicker with your middle finger on your dominant hand.
But the VP is a TANK and not a good carry gun. A lot of extra steel.
It's 4.5 ounces heavier than a G19?
And between size of G19 and G17?

I guess it depends on what form factor one likes to carry. I've carried things anywhere from an LCP II to a P226. I know some people that say a G19 is "too big" but plenty of people carry 1911s.

I loved the release on my old 45C. I’m also still pissed that I got rid of that gun. That aside, I have a Gen5 G19 that I really like, but I like the longer sight plane of the VP9. I‘ve thought about picking one up and the long slide to go with it, but I want more .45ACP and 10mm, not 9mm.

I don't own either, but have shot the VP9 and like it. However, I don't care for the mag release. The VP9B model with push button release is not Mass compliant,
and when I spoke to H&K last summer, they said they would not submit it for testing.

It's 4.5 ounces heavier than a G19?
And between size of G19 and G17?

I guess it depends on what form factor one likes to carry. I've carried things anywhere from an LCP II to a P226. I know some people that say a G19 is "too big" but plenty of people carry 1911s.
IWB. Width is a factor. A good belt and you can carry a heavy gun. Too long (Target 1911 / G17) or too wide (VP9) gets harder to conceal and buy pants for...

IWB. Width is a factor. A good belt and you can carry a heavy gun. Too long (Target 1911 / G17) or too wide (VP9) gets harder to conceal and buy pants for...
I IWB'd a P226 for 18 months and the VP9 is thinner, so I don't think I'd have a problem.
But yes, it depends on the person. I know some people that think anything bigger than a G26 is "much too big."
The VP9 is 0.14'' wider than a G19; less than a quarter of an inch.

I have owned both. The grip of the VP9 is more adaptable. But I do fine with Glocks.

If you plan to carry it, the fact that the VP9's slide is about 50% wider than the Glock's will come into play.
get
If I was really interested in the VP9, I'd seriously consider the Walther PPQ. Its not as tacticool , but a better trigger and a generally better shooter.

Well,

I abandoned both of these and I opted for a 2.0 Compact 4". It is used but has an aluminum Apex trigger and night sights.

I LOVED my M&P 9mm with Apex FSS.... except it suffered from barrel unlocking early issue or whatever they suffered from. I got rid of it because it pissed be off being inconsistent. Great trigger ergonomics and recoil impulse though

I had the VP9, its a fine Gun. How ever its to big for me to CC. But your also comparing it to the G17 wich is also big.
I recommend going to a range that has both for you to try out. If you are in MA, on target in Dracut has both those firearms for rental.
Good luck!

I had the VP9, its a fine Gun. How ever its to big for me to CC. But your also comparing it to the G17 wich is also big.
I recommend going to a range that has both for you to try out. If you are in MA, on target in Dracut has both those firearms for rental.
Good luck!

Oh, I've owned both at one time. I guess the WOW factor just isn't there but needed a range gun.

I LOVED my M&P 9mm with Apex FSS.... except it suffered from barrel unlocking early issue or whatever they suffered from. I got rid of it because it pissed be off being inconsistent. Great trigger ergonomics and recoil impulse though

I don't need to worry, my FFL worked for S&W, so if anything goes wrong, he'll fix it.

Resurrecting this thread.

I own both. I find that my G19 has a better natural point of aim for me, whereas I need to hold my VP9 about 2 inches over where I want to hit. Im guessing this is a training issue, but has anyone else had this issue?

I own both. I find that my G19 has a better natural point of aim for me, whereas I need to hold my VP9 about 2 inches over where I want to hit. Im guessing this is a training issue, but has anyone else had this issue?

My natural point of aim with someones VP9, P30, etc, is like 10-15 degrees at the ground. If I shoot guns like that, sight acquisition time sucks as I have to like, sort of roll my wrists backwards slightly to bring the front sight up to where it's supposed to be. If that's the only gun I owned my brain would probably get used to it but it's not. I point Glock/1911/Sig P320/CZ P10s etc just fine... but those newer HKs are on another f***ing planet. Even with the big hump strap installed it still doesn't bring the sights up much. For some reason, I didn't find the USPs I owned that difficult, not sure why.

Same here. I got rid of my VP9 even though it was more comfortable, ergonomic, had the best striker trigger I've ever felt, and I liked it better than the Gen3 G19 I have. I'm not a Glock fan by any stretch. It's not nearly as comfortable, not lefty friendly, the trigger isn't even close to great, it's ugly, I just happen shoot it really well even though I've even had it for less time than I had the VP9. Training? Maybe. But I'm with you on natural point of aim being a part of the equation. I put 1000's of rounds through the VP9 (first handgun) and within a solid range trip I could shoot the G19 better. Oh well. I do miss having an HK in the safe.

I don’t like the complexity of the VP9 internals compared to my Glocks. I will say the big thing for me is the paddle mag release. I love them. I have two PPQ M1s and a VP9 just because I like the mag release better. It is way easier and faster for me to change mags with a paddle than a button. Most buttons cause me to break my grip to get a release. The VP9 is even better then the PPQ in this respect. I am consistently fast and smooth with VP9 mag changes. I have shorter fingers so that may have something to do with it.

I owned a VP9 for a short while. I've owned Glocks since 1997.

VP9
1) highly adjustable grip ergonomics
2) better stock trigger
3) slide is noticeably fatter.
4) no pre-ban high cap mags. limited to 10 rounds

G17
1) Gen 4 and 5 have adjustable back strap, but other than that, no adjustments.
2) You can buy a couple of pre-ban mags so you can carry it full if you want to.
3) Stock trigger is inferior - but with the addition of a $15 - G34 connector, trigger is nearly as good as HK. With a $50 trigger, its better.
4) more slender overall.

A couple more thoughts. Just because a gun "feels better" doesn't mean you will shoot it better. Glocks feel like you are holding a 1x3 piece of lumber in your hand, but I consistently shoot them better than other guns.

If you are buying this for range or home defense use. Then in most cases the G34 is a better choice than the G17.

No g17 experience but fwiw, I have a vp9 with many thousands down the pipe...primarily fiochi 115, 124 grain fmj and have had ZERO problems. ZERO. Every click gets a bang from round 1. Rock solid.

If it's a range toy, my only advice is to get something you can eventually use for competition or something other than just range time.

Everyone is different. The way I am, when it comes to handguns, unless it is a ridiculous gun like a 45/70 BFR revolver, I want to use it, or have the option to use it, for more than just range time.

Besides that, I think everything else was covered.

The Glock you can literally do anything you want to it, longerslide, shorter slide, Gucci slide, Gucci barrel, plain slide and barrel, caliber change, trigger work .... It's the 10/22 of handguns, you can buy it, throw everything away and replace it with after market parts. A G17, you can buy a longer slide and use it in competition.

But if the VP9 fits you better ...

Back
Top Bottom