Glock 17 or VP 9 ? Owners

I searched the threads and didn't find too much on the 17 up against the VP 9 by owners of these. For those who own both, if you had to choose one, which would you keep or buy?
Thanks

Lol I doubt you are going to find people that own both. (although you might find some that have owned both in the same window, for awhile)

Glocks are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more common and user serviceable.

That said I think the VP9 is a fine gun. I don't own a VP9, P30, etc, because my NPOA with most HK pistols is like 15 degrees down at the ground. It sounds retarded but I cannot "naturally" hold those guns correctly. If I pick up a Glock, 1911, or a Sig P320, the muzzle will be not too far off depending on the gun. On a VP9 or P30 I practically have to roll my wrists back slightly to bring the front sight up. This is "f***ey" and 'weird" to me. It would be fine if it was the only gun I ran, then I would just do it subconciously.... but it's not.

-Mike

Range , not carry

If you're never going to carry it then I would suggest opening your options a bit, to something that's going to be way more satisfying to shoot.... something like this Legion P226-SAO....

legion.jpg

or something else like that, that is heavier and has a trigger that breaks nicely. Yes I realize guns in this class cost more, but if you're not carrying them, stuff like this is way more enjoyable to shoot....

I had both up until last week.

I sold my G17 and kept the VP9. For me it points better and the option to change out panels instead of those dumb backstraps was a big factor also.

I don’t mind the mag release. I have no problem bouncing between the two types.

And for the record, I have nothing against Glocks, I love my 26. The VP9 for me is just a better gun.

G19x is more like a gen 4.5

G45 is the greatest pistol Glock ever made 😍

What do you see with the G45 vs a 17? just ease of transitions, or is it just better suited for concealment because you don't have the muzzle making your junk go to sleep or hitting a chair,
etc because it's shorter?

-Mike

What do you see with the G45 vs a 17? just ease of transitions, or is it just better suited for concealment because you don't have the muzzle making your junk go to sleep or hitting a chair,
etc because it's shorter?

-Mike

Exactly. Full grip, slide cycles like 19, more comfortable iwb. I could care less about the grip size. Modern appendix holsters mitigate that. I just love this model.

That front lip is a fair point.....if you're using the gen5 mags

All the rest are G2G.....and to be fair nothing 20 seconds with a dremel tool on the mag base wont fix

It's still dumb, because no other Glock has that bullshit on it. It might even interfere with other basepads as well. Every other glock is just "open" there.

I'm guessing it was part of the mil contract they were trying to hit with that gun..... otherwise they never would have put it on there.

-Mike

I have a G17 for 3-gun because its easy enough to find prebans. I have no experience with VP 9 or its capacity.

Like Mike said, I also find the dot on presentation and don`t have to adjust to find it.

Glocks are like the AR in terms of customability.

Try them both out before you decide. If you are near Andover Id be happy to take you to my club to try it out.

Don't have a Glock 17, but have a G19 and a VP9, like them both. Carry them both at times in a phlster floodlight. The VP9 is more comparable to the G19X than either of the two prior though. It has Glock 17 size frame with a Glock 19 size slide/barrel. If you plan on keeping it 100% stock then I'd just get the VP9 and call it a day. If you wanna have fun personalizing everything just get the Glock. Obviously can rent them both and try them both. Really can't go wrong with either as well especially if you get one used in terms of pricing.

Depends on what you want to use them for. I have both, different platforms. Feel completely different. Shoot differently. For me I carry Glocks because I’ve always felt, don’t carry something you can’t lose forever. I consider glocks utterly dependable and disposable. I still love my HK’s. But really I’d say whichever you shoot better instinctively.

Lol I doubt you are going to find people that own both. (although you might find some that have owned both in the same window, for awhile)

Glocks are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more common and user serviceable.

That said I think the VP9 is a fine gun. I don't own a VP9, P30, etc, because my NPOA with most HK pistols is like 15 degrees down at the ground. It sounds retarded but I cannot "naturally" hold those guns correctly. If I pick up a Glock, 1911, or a Sig P320, the muzzle will be not too far off depending on the gun. On a VP9 or P30 I practically have to roll my wrists back slightly to bring the front sight up. This is "f***ey" and 'weird" to me. It would be fine if it was the only gun I ran, then I would just do it subconciously.... but it's not.

-Mike

OK, I own both. Both are very nice firearms. VP9 is closer to G19 in size, though.
VP9 trigger is better. Mag release lever surprisingly not a problem. Slightly different angle and shape of thd grip, feels a bit odd after Glock. I like Glock more than VP9, but am keeping both.

Glock are more servicessble, more aftermarkrt parts, etc.

I have both. I prefer the vp9 in just about every aspect. Specifically the ergos, the more customizable grip, way better factory trigger, overall build quality and aesthetics. I like that the 17 has pre bans and a million more aftermarket options (although aftermarket support for the vp9 isn’t bad). I prefer the paddle mag release on the vp9, but you can get the button mag release now if that’s your preference. Also, all the 2020 vp9 models will come optics ready from the factory. Since you’re lookin for a range gun, I’d definitely say the vp9. If carry or HD is an option, the Glock is hard to beat in MA because of the pre bans.

Range , not carry

I wouldn't buy either for lazy days at the range.

A bone stock G17 or VP9 is a pretty boring f*ck around gun. A heavier gun with a metal frame like a 1911 or a SIG or a Beretta 92 or a BHP or a CZ 75 is going to be more pleasant to blow 200-400 rounds through in a range session. A stock G17 or VP9 isn't really focused on anything like USPSA or bowling pin shoots or multigun to be particularly good at any sport.

The G17 MOS is a better option and now the VP9 is going to come with all slides milled for red dots. Why not get either with a milled slide?

The HK paddle release is a non-issue if the gun isn't going to be used for competition or self-defense, or any situation where you're stressed enough to start pushing the grip and wondering "why is the mag not dropping? Oh, HK..."

The HK is a better pistol overall assuming the paddle release is a non-issue. If you care about aftermarket support, the Glock is the way to go.

I wouldn't buy either for lazy days at the range.

A bone stock G17 or VP9 is a pretty boring f*ck around gun. A heavier gun with a metal frame like a 1911 or a SIG or a Beretta 92 or a BHP or a CZ 75 is going to be more pleasant to blow 200-400 rounds through in a range session. A stock G17 or VP9 isn't really focused on anything like USPSA or bowling pin shoots or multigun to be particularly good at any sport.

The G17 MOS is a better option and now the VP9 is going to come with all slides milled for red dots. Why not get either with a milled slide

Agree with all of the above. I'm getting older and my eyes cant compete with irons any more. Moving to red dots on all my pistols. Carry and range toys included.

I own both and don't carry either of them (prefer to carry my P30 over both). The fit and finish quality on them are pretty close but the VP9 trigger is "crispier" than the G17, maybe because the trigger safety mechanism on the VP9 is designed closer to *bang* readiness than the Glock striker action when cocked. On a more practical note, when handing off either of the two pistols to inexperienced shooters at the range, limp wristing didn't seem to stovepipe the VP9 nearly as much as the G17, when almost every single followup shot failed.

my boring two cents.....both fine guns, both handle differently, after a couple of mags I feel comfortable switching between the two even with the h&k paddle mag release....I have never had a failure with either gun but I am not an operator or a competitor....both are stock.....I carry the glock and the h&k is a nightstand gun......good luck in your search!

I own both (if we’re counting G19’s).
VP9 feels better in the hand, trigger is better, paddle mag release is better (mags come flying out) and doesn’t bite my hand like the glock (lefty) and they’re metal mags as well, the $45 price tag reflects that. Glock is a glock. It just works. It also has far more pre-ban options for non-neutered mags (15 or 17 rounds is considerably more than 10) and far more customization options. Parts are easy to source for both.

You can’t really go wrong with either. I prefer shooting the VP9 because it feels better in my hands (the interchangeable grips and back straps make this possible) but everyone’s different. There’s a reason I and others own both, because they’re both great.

Great replies thank you.
If this helps, The G17 is a Gen 4 Summer special, steel night sights, front serrations, extended slide and mag releases and 3 mags
The VP9 is LE with night sights and 3 mags

As a lefty I like the paddle release.

Also note that the 2020 VP9s are now shipping with 17rd mags and milled from the factory for RMRs/optics.
I plan on picking one up once I save a bit, need a VR80 for 3-gun first.

For what it's worth, I too would have to say the Glock 45 is probably the best shooting Glock to come out of the factory. Just feels good in the hand and points naturally. Incredibly accurate.

Back
Top Bottom