1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Globe disparages NES about photos

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by yanici, Apr 1, 2010.

1. theGringo

theGringo

Enough self-flagellation. Time to move on. Dot org. [wink]

2. Snapshot

Snapshot

We've had more then our share of bullies. One even has his own fan club.

3. George D

George D NES Member

FYYFF

Better?
    [smile]

4. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

I thought the response was pretty amusing... it's the kind of response semi-pro/pro trolls strive for. [troll]

And if it does happen again [wink], at least try not to get caught next time. [thinking]

All it would take is just one person to email the blog owner as to what was going down.

No 'Googling' or perusing server logs for referral links necessary.

5. cekim

cekim NES Member

While I wouldn't and didn't submit photos to "mock" the contest (I commented, but I did not submit any photos as I had nothing to add to the images), I would like to remind everyone not to be too polite as we move forward with this political battle.

Be honest. Be correct. Do not be afraid to offend the sensitive eyes of those who are not mature enough to see opposing view points in all their glory without trying to silence them.

EC is entirely correct and Derek too in his protection of NES, but as individuals, I think it important to recognize that the road to this place we live in on the precipice of obliteration of true freedom was paved with the silence of those of us who believe in staying out of others' business as a way of life. Speaking for myself I know I kept my mouth shut far too long as all of this went on around me because I figured logic, reason, sanity and reality would win over in the end.

Meanwhile we have Europe, NY, CA, MA, NJ, etc... to prove me so very wrong.

Keep it classy, just don't keep it quiet...

Omelet, Eggs, Broken and all of that. Live and learn...

6. mikem317

mikem317

Bingo.

7. wolf223

wolf223 Guest

they can KMA. the hell with them and their sissy watches and girly pocket books.

i carry a gun because i was bullied all throughout my childhood and into my teenage years. they probably all played sports and dated hot girls. me? i went to the prom with my sister.

8. yanici

yanici NES Member

Hmmmm... I know it's April Fools Day, right?

9. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

The problem is?

10. Lauria

Lauria

The problem is that sometimes certain threads on this forum make all gun owners out to look like idiots who hate any and all dissenting opinions.

3 people like this.
  11. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but I had nothing to do with it.
    I didn't read the original thread and didn't know of, or care about, the photo contest.
    However, I just read the article and I'm shocked that the Glob actually printed the pro gun comments.

12. PaulD

PaulD

Indeed. The writer over there even called it quite well.

Unfortunately, we missed an opportunity. A few well done photos that included a gun could have been good publicity. Crap flooding it just makes us look like a**h***s.

1 person likes this.
  13. wolf223

wolf223 Guest

i think THEY missed an opportunity.... [wink]

seriously, we don't have to hold hands and sing kumbaya.... they can piss up rope. I'm serious.

"items" "we" "carry" -whether it's a rape whistle, cell phone or bubblegum. YOU are an excellent photagrapher, as is Hanwei, Underwhere, among a few others... i'm just not seeing the "disgrace" .....

14. cekim

cekim NES Member

Sort of like a photo contest that blocks gun photos [wink]

As I posted over there - one does not speak for all. If you cannot look past the extremes on other side, you are intolerant and don't believe in freedom of expression.

15. Chrisg67

Chrisg67

the first few comments on the article are typical, but the mood seems to change to basically: 'Who cares' which is actually refreshing. i dont know if its people on here or others but most seem to think its dumb that it got censored. i know they removed them because of the thread on here, but their excuse is that some werent artistic. so if someone posted the typical keys/wallet/watch/gum/chapstick picture that was their attempt at art but didnt come out great, they would remove that? ya right. oh well, time to move on. sucks that we got bad publicity on something so petty. this forum is generally filled with good people, and its a shame that is not what was portrayed. im sure we will learn from our mistakes

16. n1oty

n1oty NES Member

Frankly, if that communist rag had not censored the photos for these stated reasons, they would have simply censored for other, lesser reasons. Their agenda was to simply censor the photos. No more, no less.

17. Climbnsink

Climbnsink

Exactly, so they found out there was a conspiracy people conspire to do all sorts of things. They zapped gun pictures for content not conspiracy.

18. Bill Katt

Bill Katt NES Member

The thing that upsets me about the removal of ALL gun pics is that there were a number of them that were submitted BEFORE the thread about the contest was even started here. I would expect no less from them after the thread was started but it really does discriminate against those who entered the contest prior to any thread here. I certainly don't agree with the removal of any of the pics in question, regardless of how people heard about the contest. I'm just rambling and having trouble putting my thoughts down in writing. I hope some of you can get my point. I suck at writing.[thinking]

19. EddieCoyle

EddieCoyle Consigliere Moderator NES Member

If I was her, I'd do the same thing.

For example, let's say I started a "What's On Your Table?" photo contest, and someone over at GayCatOwners.com started a thread there urging their members to spam my contest with pictures of cats on tables. As soon I noticed a bunch of cats pictures coming in, and found out about the thread on the other forum, I'd delete all of the cat pics regardless of whether they came in before or after the start of the thread on GayCatOwners.com - even though a bunch of you are probably members.

20. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Wait? Are the cats gay or the owners? I'm confused? (^_^)

Seriously...

When the thread started, the premise of "lets show them what we carry" was not a bad thing in and of itself. However, as the thread grew and more and more derogatory comments were posted the spirit of the thread was lost. Instead of leaving the submissions as they were, far too many also engaged in the political debate. That debate came back to this forum and while the comments on the contest were done well, the comments here were far less complementary. Add to it the very points she quoted and what started as a means to show a side of people few might not have known about ended up being a political motive.

Yes, most times, you are talking to fellow spirits on these forums. But think before you post. Would you take the same words and shout them at a bust street corner mall for all to hear? I can't tell you the number of things I've typed over the years and then deleted when I went and read it back with the thought of "would I want my mom/child/neighbor/priest to hear this?" When confronted with thoughts like that, you will find that emotional reactions tend to be poor things to enshrine forever on the internet.

21. EddieCoyle

EddieCoyle Consigliere Moderator NES Member

Yes.

22. jasons

jasons Moderator Moderator NES Life Member NES Member

I don't see how 11 pictures that included guns (some actually quite good) out of about 100 non-gun submissions (many not so good) is"crap flooding" or "spam." They asked for pictures of things that we carry and we posted pictures of things that we carry - what difference does it make how we found out about the contest or what some people said on some other forum? It only got political after that dude from England started getting all huffy.

But whatever. The whole thing is silly. Just to show that I'm not holding a grudge I've entered the April contest (my wife and I have been entering the RAW contests for quite some time and I see no reason to quit.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sawyerfamily/4484415682/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  23. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    In all honesty if it was just the photos I doubt anything would have been done except maybe making some kind of "inappropriate" censor. The thing that sealed the fate was the commentary on this forum. If the thread had been:

Hey, look at this contest...

------
    I submitted
    ------
    I submitted
    ------
    I submitted
    ------
    I submitted

etc they would have had very little to quote.

24. PaulD

PaulD

Hey thanks!

Still, I don't think the invasion was appropriate and I'm in agreement with EddieCoyle and his gay cat anal ogy.

25. cekim

cekim NES Member

Yes and no. It was her contest she can do as she likes. Same goes for EC/Derek/NES. Neither are "government censorship" and I said as much in my comments over there. Both are free to police their content as they please.

With one caveat that it is not exactly parallel. While the Flickr group is the identical situation with NES, Boston.com is not.

Neither the Flickr group, nor NES purports to be "journalism", but rather are just social groups on the 'net.

26. Bill Katt

Bill Katt NES Member

Well ya but that's CATS! [rofl] I get what you're saying though. It is sad though that some from here and elsewhere had some really good photos removed from the contest. Oh well, live and learn. [wink]