Glenfield/Marlin Model 60 .22 Question

I finally got my hands on the Marlin Model 60 that I inherited. I clean and lubed it real nice, looks like it had not been cleaned in about 30 years. the initial pull on the charging handle is sort of tough and requires a bit of force. Once the hammer is cocked the slide/carrier slides back and forth rather easily. Is that normal?

It seems like the recoil of the .22 might not be enough to cycle the rifle due to the pressure required to charge it.

Will dry fire really hurt the rifle? How? Even if only a couple times?

Hmmm. I would take it apart and clean it, make sure there's no grit, grime or crud in there. Remove the bolt... how's the finish on it? If it looks like a rough finish, which is more common on guns in the last 7 years, maybe polish it a bit with very fine 1k-2k grit sand paper. Maybe there's a rough paint finish inside the aluminum reciever, the contact rails may need to be smoothed. The recoil spring and guide rod may need to be replaced if they've been damaged.

Just try shooting it, you may be surprised. That could wear it in if it's lightly used.

I replaced the recoil spring, everything looks good but its just weird that it's so tough to get started...

Little mothers mag polish on all of the weight/movement bearing surfaces does wonders. I have an old model 995 that needed a strip, clean, and polish. Made all the difference in the world!

My j.c. higgins tube fed .22 has the same issue, I think someone how the throat is mis-shapen and is causing problems with the bolt sliding hard. It also causes it to misfeed. Like the other guys said, I recommend cleaning it good and take it to the range and see how it functions

These are very cheap rifles, not precision instruments. I have had one since new.

Dry firing any rim fire is bad because the firing pin strikes steel rather than brass. This can cause peening or breakage of the firing pin.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom