• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glenfield 25 revist

mac1911

NES Member
Up next is a Glenfield 25 from early 80s
Lots of rounds through it. Cleaned it up just before I bought my house and as it sits has about 1k rounds through it. Have not shot it in 10 years.
We will start with the bore.

Hope to get to range Thursday ... Other than a quick wipe and tighten action screw to 30inlbs I'm running it as is with 4 types of ammo 5 fouling shots then 10 for group.

Early 80s Glenfield model 25 , cheap gamo scope from late 90s early 2000s?
Ammo 3 sample Centerion 22 short match, CCI SV , RWS Rifle target

First range report nothing great. I actually got out Tuesday 25 yards just plinking away.
This scope sucks for target work it takes up a lot of the target. +covers almost 1/2" at 25 yards
nothing crazy just slow steady shooting. This is what happened. I was aiming at the dot below the groups
the target software did not come out like I wanted
CCI
2liXwXx.jpg

RWS
fLhwNPg.jpg

Match short
4Kb1LLi.jpg

10 rounds of CCI for the next test im going with the CCI and SK standard plus
dimXtKZ.jpg

Next up was to go through the gun. I cleaned it, cleaned the bore. Checked all the scope mount and ring torque. I was surprised to find the front rings loose. Retightened to 20inlbs
The trigger was awful came in at 8+lbs as it sits. I replaced the trigger return spring with a lighter one then did a very slight quick polish to the sear. Its not a hard trigger to do. The spring alone will shave 4 lbs or more. I left the sear spring alone. After a good clean and a quick polish I have it down to a nice 2lbs.
I found the action screw boss attached to the receiver to be loose. tightened that and install the receiver screw and tightened it to 30inlbs.
Barrel actually free floats pretty well and the bedding is darn good for a cheap rifle.
So tomorrow I will test again same 3 groups of 5 shots, maybe 6 as its a 6 round mag. Need to pick up a few 10 rounders.
bore after a soak of foaming bore cleaner and a few patches, not killing myself on this one. Need to get out in the natural light to get some better bore shots

well the accuracy was not much better and to spotty to tell if one ammo does better or not.
25 yards with assorted ammo. The trigger was a nice surprise just a new spring a touch of polishing the contats did wonders on feel. The scope has to go...As it sits its good for plinking and tree rats. I might get a new scope?
Far right is CCI SV with 7 shots per hole. the mag holds 7 rounds.
Far Left is the SK Standard plus. I used SK for thee rest of my shooting today.
8a4uj5L.jpg

100 yards, not terrible
jqrE4v7.jpg

im done playing around other than getting the zero a bit more centered. I have a brick of CCI SV thats staying with this set up until its gone.
Had some flyers today and my verticle stringing from being cold shows up also..... Thee 4x cheap ass scope doesnt help any either
Qpvv7Bp.jpg

100 yards off bags,
KARh4Kk.jpg

I still have mine my dad bought me when I was 12 yo. He's 92 and I'm 59 so that make the gun pretty old...;)

I'm hoping I come across the factory sling swivels. Seen them somewhere at one point. I know at one point when we where no longer actively shooting many guns my dad removed sling swivels and studs and packed them tight in a cabinet. I found a lot of the parts for other guns and spent the last 6-8 years going through all the stuff after my dad and brother passed.
God did they keep some F'n junk
I'm going to bless it with a better scope of maybe a set of Williams aperture sights and front globe base....I like those

Back
Top Bottom