GLAD I CAUGHT THIS!!!

So, I finally bought my bro-in-laws Witness .45ACP. He also threw in a bunch of ammo since he had no use for it anymore. The ammo came in a thick plastic bag (remember this).

Anyways, I was field stirpping it this morning and I was checking over the slide when I noticed what looked like a scratch on the left side of the slide right behind where the recoil spring and guide go in. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be a hair line FRACTURE! I then looked over the rest of the slide and found a more substancial fracture at the ejection port!!!

I believe the ammo were re-loads and probably packed with a little too much bang-powder. The origional owner is no longer 'available' to verify this, but the shells do look to be re-used. My b-i-l bought the gun from his friend (the orig owner I believe).

I called EAA customer service and got someone right away. They told me parts are lifetime warranty. I packed it up and sent it USPS with $199.00 worth of insurance and also a delivery notification request. $11.01 later and it is on it's way to sunny Florida.

Damn good thing I didn't fire it!

Good find and hope all goes well for you. I can't remember if it's EAA that I've heard things about their shoddy customer service or not.

get a divorce. they were trying to "take you out"...........

j/k

sounds like it worked out for you.

PS: this thread is worthless w/o pics

Wow good catch.

Always a good rule of thump to inspect your guns thoroughly before shooting.

A lifetime warranty is a beautiful thing.

Careful... I'm fairly sure that lifetime warranties are conditional that there be NO reloads put through it

I never put any reloads thru it. And as far as it goes, it is only pure spectulation on my part. Rule of thumb, give them as little info as possible.

And, damn it, I should have taken pics...

Let us know how it all turns out.
Good eyes and smart thinking to check it out before firing it.

Good find and hope all goes well for you. I can't remember if it's EAA that I've heard things about their shoddy customer service or not.

EAA's lack of customer service is legendary (I didn't think they offered a warranty, let alone lifetime). Everything I've ever heard about dealing with them was all bad, all the time. On the other hand, it was all on the internet, and didn't seem to come from any original sources. It always seems to be "don't buy a witness because I know a guy, who has a cousin, that met somebody at the range, who's friends with a guy who owns a gun shop, who's friends with a gunsmith, who said that those things will blow up if you use brand x ammo in it, and that if you call EAA with a problem, they'll send a crew out to your house and black bag you."

I'm a huge fan of the witness line of pistols. I've had one for years that's never had a problem (a .45), so I can't personally speak to EAA's customer service practices. I will tell you what I have heard from everybody I've talked to that owns a witness "I can't believe more people don't buy these things", and "the witness is the best bang for your buck deal in the handgun market today". A 10mm Witness Limited is on my super short list right now (probably going to be my next purchase).

I actually called customer service twice. The first time I was just making sure that my pistol didn't fall under the recall umbrella. I got right thru. The lady sounded hot... I mean nice. She also gladly signed me up for a catalog. That was before I found the damage. I then called the second time and got right thru again. Told a different lady what I found and she said I had two options. Send it now or she could take my contact info and have one of their gunsmiths call me when they get back from a gun show in Orlando. I opted to send it off right away. The smitties will be back on Monday so my slide should either arrive when they do, or be there waiting for them. She then said there is a lifetime warranty on the slide. If it does end up costing me more than the postage to send it then I will tell my bro-in-law about it. If not, I'm not too worried about the 11 bucks it cost to send it.

UPDATE!!!!

I called today to see if there had been anything done with the slide. Only the 3rd time calling and the 3rd time GETTING RIGHT THRU! They told me that it was on it's way back up. I asked if it was repaired or replaced, they said replaced!

So far, I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service!!!![smile][smile][smile]

FYI-There are only two prompts to pick from when you call the 800#. One is customer service and the other is for ordering a catalog.

That is great. Just goes to show not to let your plans or acquisitions get derailed by things you read on the web. One final update when you receive the slide back would be awesome.

Final Update!

The slide came in on Saturday. Started to re-assemble and the for somw reason the guide pin was sticking out the end and I couldn't get the slide to close!!! I thought, "NOOOOOOOOO, THIS CAN"T BE HAPPENEING!!!!" Anyways, to make a long story short. I found it was that the barrel wasn't seated all the way. Found that out when I gave it a little nudge and heard a click. I then put the spring and guide back in place and badda-bing!

I bought some Rem. JHP today, but it has a hard time cycling them. the hollow point keeps snagging when I go to release the slide. It will load when I pull the slide all the way back and let go. Anyone else have that? If so, what's the fix, if any?

EAA's lack of customer service is legendary (I didn't think they offered a warranty, let alone lifetime). Everything I've ever heard about dealing with them was all bad, all the time. On the other hand, it was all on the internet, and didn't seem to come from any original sources. It always seems to be "don't buy a witness because I know a guy, who has a cousin, that met somebody at the range, who's friends with a guy who owns a gun shop, who's friends with a gunsmith, who said that those things will blow up if you use brand x ammo in it, and that if you call EAA with a problem, they'll send a crew out to your house and black bag you."

I'm a huge fan of the witness line of pistols. I've had one for years that's never had a problem (a .45), so I can't personally speak to EAA's customer service practices. I will tell you what I have heard from everybody I've talked to that owns a witness "I can't believe more people don't buy these things", and "the witness is the best bang for your buck deal in the handgun market today". A 10mm Witness Limited is on my super short list right now (probably going to be my next purchase).

Can't really comment on the line. Only know that I've had Kimber's for years. No problem ever. They work, are reliable, and give no problems. Accuracy is with my eyes. Who needs more? [wink]

Back
Top Bottom