• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Girlfriend letting me choose bedside pistol box for my birthday! Help me choose!

On Woot for a limited time: http://sport.woot.com/?ref=gh_sp_6

Why spend $200+, when a thief will steal the whole safe, and open it, at his leisure? The Woot safe satisfies MA law, and do what Mike says in post #22.[/QUOTE

That's why my fort knox pistol box is bolted down..... I couldn't help notice in a hospital exam room that all the carts and cabinet draws had the five button simplex locks. Nothing is foolproof but I think that lock on that pistol box is as good as you're going to get for a quick acess system.

On Woot for a limited time: http://sport.woot.com/?ref=gh_sp_6

Why spend $200+, when a thief will steal the whole safe, and open it, at his leisure? The Woot safe satisfies MA law, and do what Mike says in post #22.

i'm not looking for a keyed only box and i won't be leaving it open overnight cause there is much more of a chance that i'll forget to close it (and a kid could get at it) than a chance that i'll need to use it at night...the first alarm in my house is my dog and the second house alarm is my house alarm system which also has a battery backup...the bedrooms are on the second floor so yes i'll take the chance and spend the extra time to open it or my wife will open it and i will go for the baseball bat...i haven't needed anything thus far and i hope to never but i like my odds better with than without but i care more about a kid getting to it than a thief taking it...i mean my tv downstairs is worth more than a couple handguns in a safe upstairs

Last edited:
i'm not looking for a keyed only box and i won't be leaving it open overnight cause there is much more of a chance that i'll forget to close it (and a kid could get at it) than a chance that i'll need to use it at night...the first alarm in my house is my dog and the second house alarm is my house alarm system which also has a battery backup...the bedrooms are on the second floor so yes i'll take the chance and spend the extra time to open it or my wife will open it and i will go for the baseball bat...i haven't needed anything thus far and i hope to never but i like my odds better with than without but i care more about a kid getting to it than a thief taking it...i mean my tv downstairs is worth more than a couple handguns in a safe upstairs

My safe will remain unlocked, with the key inserted, for quick access. The Gunvault safe comes with a 1500# test, security cable, BUT these bedside safes are not secure. They WILL satisfy storage requirements. Bolted down or cable locked, a crowbar or the proper cutting tools will will render these safes, vulnerable to theft.

Any safe, even your "Super Deluxe, High Security" 2000 Lb behemoth, can be compromised.

If you have children, you either take it with you when you leave the house, or move it to a larger safe. I would not rely on a small safe to secure any firearms, if I wasn't on the premises.

If you have children, you either take it with you when you leave the house, or move it to a larger safe. I would not rely on a small safe to secure any firearms, if I wasn't on the premises.

unfortunately this is not an option since i work in a different state than i live in...nor do i want to take a small safe with a gun in it with me to work every day and have to tell everyone it's my safe lunchbox cause i'm sick of people stealing my lunch from the office fridge...plus i don't really have the cash to spend on a huge expensive safe at the moment due to some other projects at my house so a small box is going to have to work...i don't think small kids are going to know how to use a sawzall or a crowbar so i should be ok till they get a little older...i was thinking of trying to conceal it somehow but this will hinder the access process

unfortunately this is not an option since i work in a different state than i live in...nor do i want to take a small safe with a gun in it with me to work every day and have to tell everyone it's my safe lunchbox cause i'm sick of people stealing my lunch from the office fridge...plus i don't really have the cash to spend on a huge expensive safe at the moment due to some other projects at my house so a small box is going to have to work...i don't think small kids are going to know how to use a sawzall or a crowbar so i should be ok till they get a little older...i was thinking of trying to conceal it somehow but this will hinder the access process

That's fine if you have little ones, but you really need to have instant access, if you need it in an "emergency". Seconds count! You do want to protect the little ones.

Here's my video demonstration. It was hard to make a decision since people weren't demonstrating use at full speed.

[video=youtube_share;gctCMx7r7ec]http://youtu.be/gctCMx7r7ec[/video]

Hope this helps you! I am pretty happy with it so far. If all else fails at least it would make a great head bashing instrument.

That's fine if you have little ones, but you really need to have instant access, if you need it in an "emergency". Seconds count! You do want to protect the little ones.

i figure we have some extra time having the bedrooms on the second floor, plus the dog, plus the house alarm, plus no one knows our house better than us in the dark...as long as it opens every time i go to open it then i'm happy but that one time that it doesn't is when i get rid of it

Here's my video demonstration. It was hard to make a decision since people weren't demonstrating use at full speed.
Hope this helps you! I am pretty happy with it so far. If all else fails at least it would make a great head bashing instrument.

thanks!...def a heavy duty quality product...leave a little red bulb flashlight near it for night use would be a good thing cause with 5 buttons all in a row, in the dark it may not be as easy to figure out which button you're feeling with the lights off since they are all really close together and would be hard to be touching all 5 buttons at once...that's one difference between the simplex buttons and the electronic 4 button hand print style buttons...def looks pretty roomy as well, def enough room for 2 plus a few mags but 3 may be pushing it but it's probably a good idea to have different locations if you have 3 anyway rather than have all your eggs in one basket

picked up the dac sportsafe on amazon for around $93 and it seems like a pretty good option for what i need it for...like has been said the shelf is flimsy but depending on what i store in it i may modify the shelf or remove it...the shelf supports are sharp with the shelf out...the door flies open fast but it will be on a carpeted floor so damage isn't a worry...the light only goes on for a second or two when the door opens but i plan to store a small flashlight in there anyway...i may even put some electrical tape over the light if i don't want it...the button sound can be silenced...there is a motion alarm which has 4 different sensitivity settings in case it's moved or knocked which will go off after "25 short audible ticks" and stay on until it's disabled...i will have to test the sensitivity levels but i don't plan to bolt it down cause if i need it i may end up moving or sliding it and i don't want that to go off but at the same time it would be helpful to have in case a child were to mess with it so i will have to think about that...there is a sleep mode in case someone enters 24 incorrect entries it will sleep for 2 minutes and you would need a key to open it, which i find to be a pretty useless feature

i'm heading to radioshack today to get a 12V ac adapter for it...it takes 8 AA batteries so i plan to use those as a backup and the ac adapter for power...i believe it is a od 5.5mm x id 2.5mm barrel connector with positive polarity...not sure what the current rating is on it but i will just pick the highest one they have...probably bring it with me to test it in the store to be sure it works correctly

Last edited:
so i went to radioshack with the safe to get the 12V 1A AC adapter with 5.5mm x id 2.5mm barrel connector with positive polarity...i had the polarity wrong so i edited my post above...here is what i bought in case anyone cares...with the enercell adaptaplug line you have to buy the plug connectors separately and they letter them by size...i bought the 'N' connector...plugged it in without batteries at radioshack and it worked like a charm...now to fill it up [smile]

http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/batteries/pwrgde-2H.htm

2FCB5E5D-1573-4D8D-A9B7-55CA8DCF0FAA_zpsode86k2m.jpg

B2D2F9CA-50BF-45D3-98C6-DB50C15A1EE3_zpsioqpkhqq.jpg

F80A3B70-5E28-4D3A-8CEE-C701718EFDB4_zps6l96wrvr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom