• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Girlfriend letting me choose bedside pistol box for my birthday! Help me choose!

Good point. Now to train myself to lock it every time I sleep. Good thing I'll have my safe bracelet that will open my safe for me when I'm around and my gun bracelet for my soft gun!

Thanks johnny5! I'll keep this link

Ok guys I think I am going to go with a Fort Knox!
The biometric safes are probably just as good in a home defense situation when they work but when we stack chances it adds up. We carry on the off chance of a violent attacker. We choose the most reliable carry gun to mitigate the slim chances it would jam when we need it most. So why chance it on a biometric just cause I wanted to chance my life on the neatest technology.

Also it is much easier on my girlfriend's wallet!
Now do I want the top opening one or the side?

Ok guys I think I am going to go with a Fort Knox!
The biometric safes are probably just as good in a home defense situation when they work but when we stack chances it adds up. We carry on the off chance of a violent attacker. We choose the most reliable carry gun to mitigate the slim chances it would jam when we need it most. So why chance it on a biometric just cause I wanted to chance my life on the neatest technology.

Also it is much easier on my girlfriend's wallet!
Now do I want the top opening one or the side?
Side, gripping it and pulling it out is more natural this way, and you don't have to focus on pulling it up and out, just out. Also that's what she said.

I had the exact same thought but I think it would lose the gas strut to keep it open plus it would eliminate the need to fish for the mag and flashlight/ a busted knuckle. I think I would opt for the side opening if I intend to keep the box higher up or almost face level. My girlfriend will be bound to pile some clothes next to the box and that would be bad if it was side opening!

I got this last christmas and its the bees knees. http://www.fas1safe.com/product.sc?productId=2

Gas strut opens it up and its presented in a holster so you can grab it. Completely mechanical simplex lock. The combo could he as simple as depressing the button next to the latch... and in theory could be entered at an earlier time so all that would need to be done is the latch turned.

Its definitely much heavier duty than many other quick access safes.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Yes, technology is good, just waiting for biometric technology for the grip of my firearm! problem solved.

Great info on this post. I learned a few head slapping things in the use of a night stand safe that it all make sense now
1) Safe really for show.
2) Put the gun outside the safe when you really need it.

thanks

Yes, technology is good, just waiting for biometric technology for the grip of my firearm! problem solved.

Great info on this post. I learned a few head slapping things in the use of a night stand safe that it all make sense now
1) Safe really for show.
2) Put the gun outside the safe when you really need it.

thanks

The Fort Knox pistol box safes are definetly not for show and with a simplex lock there's no technology to worry about.

0% failure rate.

5069d39074c5b64af7000592._w.440_h.440_s.fit_.jpg

Derek you still have a flip-phone and gen-1 iPod?
might be time for an upgrade [rofl]

The Fort Knox pistol box safes are definetly not for show and with a simplex lock there's no technology to worry about.
I didn't mean really just for show only and they don't serve a real purpose. But it would be a good idea to have a one around and if empty to have it open even if you follow Derek's bedroom arrangement . As someone previous indicated who knows when you opened it. Or you may say to someone who sees it "I use it all the time" but you really don't. Since I don't have kids or have kids over who should be rummaging through my bedroom the actual firearm maybe in another safe spot and safe is just a ruse.

Side, gripping it and pulling it out is more natural this way, and you don't have to focus on pulling it up and out, just out. Also that's what she said.
There's a possibility that you won't be laying in bed when someone breaks in. And, if you scuffle before getting to your gun your hands may be covered in blood or something that prevents you from opening a biometric safe. Simply put, simple wins.

Ordered the Fort Knox top opening. I appreciate everyone's input. Since I'm floor mounting it and intend on holding more than just a gun in there I think this box will serve me best.

You'll have no regrets. The strongest pistol box I've seen. I have 4 full size handguns in mine.

Last edited:
i'm in almost the same situation as the OP but i didn't want to create a new thread so i figured i would just bump this one...i'm mostly concerned with easy/quick/reliable access for 2-3 handguns as well as protection from my future curious children (not as concerned with fire protection or having high protection from thieves)...i'm not looking to break the bank just want to keep the firearms safe and out of a child's reach...i'd rather the safe be stolen than have a kid get into it...guns can be replaced...plus my tv cost more than a couple handguns...this will be my first gun safe/box...i don't really want a large safe upstairs in the bedroom since i'm not sure if i will get into shotguns or rifles but if i do they will probably go in a safe in my basement anyway...after doing some reading i'm going to pass on the biometric boxes...at the moment i'm between a fort knox, a v-line and a dac sportsafe...right now i'm leaning towards the dac...

the fort knox and the v-line seem to be very similar with their 5 button simplex locks but differ when it comes to sizes, steel gauge (10 with the fort knox and 16 with the v-line) and the v-line has a model that can be mounted hanging under a desk/bed/nightstand and had a drawer that can be pulled out (not sure i am a fan of the drawer since it's one more thing you have to do to gain access and looks like it limits the interior size)...if i were to choose between these 2 i would probably go with the fort knox

the dac is the only electronic safe of my 3 choices...it seems to have pretty good reviews from what i have read...it has 14 gauge steel...4 button panel with a code that is 3-6 entries (for each entry a 2 button press can be used, if desired)...in addition to 8 AA batteries it has a 12v port so the battery can be used as a backup in case the power goes out and you can run off of AC power...there is also a warning light to let you know when the batteries are on their way out so you can replace them (i hear they last quite a while unlike the gunvault boxes)...it also comes with 4 keys...there is a small interior light (if i didn't want it i can probably just pull the bulb or just put some tape over it)...there is a bottom mounting plate...there is an alarm, if the safe is moved the alarm will sound until a correct code is entered...after 24 incorrect code entries it will disable itself for 2 minutes and you will need the key if you want to open it within that lockout period of time (i feel like the 24 tries is a little high of a number and the 2 minutes is too little of a lockout time)...the button noise can be disabled...i like the size and price of the dac (could buy 2 for the price of one of the other 2 choices and put 1 handgun in each if desired)

http://www.dactec.com/images/stories/PDFs/atv2003_instructions.pdf

just curious if anyone has any opinions on the dac box?...i know the mechanical simplex lock is the most reliable but i think the dac will work just as well for my purpose if not better

Last edited:
My .02 is that I don't like the idea of having a key to open a pistol box. Also, I myself would forget about the warning light and let the batteries die. That what fed into going with the Fort Knox but everyone has different preferences. I prefer the simplex lock and heavy gauge steel.

My .02 is that I don't like the idea of having a key to open a pistol box. Also, I myself would forget about the warning light and let the batteries die. That what fed into going with the Fort Knox but everyone has different preferences. I prefer the simplex lock and heavy gauge steel.

i agree, everyone has different situations and preferences...you don't really need the key, it's a last resort in case the power in your house goes out and the batteries are dead...in my situation it will be in a location that will be visible enough to see the low battery warning light...and the power in my area is pretty reliable...so i should never need to use a key and changing batteries every couple years isn't a big deal...if i ever have a problem accessing it i will probably be buying a fort knox but from what i have read people have had these for multiple years without changing batteries and some are only using the batteries and not using AC power (something i would never do) and have had good luck with them...i figure a lot of the real safes on the eastern security safe site are electronic so it's not like people aren't buying electronic safes and have to be on AC power plus battery backups and these are advertised on their site along with fort knox, v-line and gunvault...the equivalent gunvault multi deluxe (gv 2000d) is a little more expensive and doesn't have as good reviews

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom