• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Girlfriend letting me choose bedside pistol box for my birthday! Help me choose!

jho

So I put a bug in my girlfriend's ear that I wanted a biometric bedside safe for my birthday and she said if I chose a reasonably priced one, she would consider buying it for me.

I am really torn between the Locksaf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHUjnv81DjQ

or the 9g inprint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY0z7L1Cm08

both are big enough for my home defense pistol, extra mags and a flashlight. Both seem better constructed than the gunvaults. Both have the spring loaded door.

The only concern for me is that the 9g opens from the side. My girlfriend and I are not the neatest people in the world and are bound to have something laying next to the box so I don't want there to be a possibility of a jammed door.

Really important factors are fast response, and low failure rate which they both have great reviews on that part.

The thing I really like about the inprint is that it has the ability to use A/C power so there is a reduced risk of low battery but that is not a huge deal.

If anyone has any input or experience with these boxes, please let me know. If anyone has any better alternatives as well that would be awesome. I know there is some skepticism about electronic safes but I am not sure I can trust myself to push a 4 button code on a Ft. Knox and am for sure not able to use a dial safe under pressure.

I do not trust any fingerprint scanners, pushbutton is definitely the way to go for rapid access. OTOH, I live in NH so I just hang a holster from the headboard [laugh]

You definitely want to check out any product in person, not depend on online specs and reviews. Are there local retailers for either of those?

No-one local has the locksaf. Nearest dealer for the Inprint is in Norwood. Maybe I can pay them a visit! Don't trust myself to either not lose the key or find the key when I need it.

Have you looked at Barska? I have one of there bios, never had an issue w opening

Really important factors are fast response, and low failure rate which they both have great reviews on that part.

0% failure rate.

5069d39074c5b64af7000592._w.440_h.440_s.fit_.jpg

http://www.ftknox.com/product/original-pistol-box/

I have this and enter all but one number, works great and will hold everything you mentioned plus no batteries [thumbsup]

And no electronics to fail. And they will fail if they have electronics. This is the one I have, bought precisely because the previous two POS electronic safes both failed. Thanks China!

But now that NH is my home, I just leave guns around wherever I feel like. There are no children to worry about, just cats, and they can't rack the slide.

thanks for the recommendations. I am actually considering a ft knox now or a v line. That simplex lock (post revision) looks very sturdy and I guess I can make it a simple combo. Unfortunately, just leaving the pistol in the nighstand unlocked is not an option. I havent looked into the barska's yet.

Speedvault with buttons instead of biometric and replace the cylinder lock with and Abloy lock. Remove HDG from the Speedvault when kids will be present in the house and put it in the real safe. When mounted vertically and the Speedvault drops open it puts the gun in the perfect position to grab. It comes out at low-ready.

0% failure rate.

5069d39074c5b64af7000592._w.440_h.440_s.fit_.jpg
This. Just get a keyed entry for storage and keep your gun in or on the night stand while you're asleep. Depending on your other home security measures chances are you wouldn't notice an intruder until it's too late and even a non failing biometric safe would be be too slow.

thanks for the recommendations. I am actually considering a ft knox now or a v line. That simplex lock (post revision) looks very sturdy and I guess I can make it a simple combo. Unfortunately, just leaving the pistol in the nighstand unlocked is not an option. I havent looked into the barska's yet.

The simplex lock is pretty easy and the Ft Knox box I got is great. (Its about 20 lb. of metal.)

I watched the videos of those biometric boxes, and I think I could probably open the simplex just as fast. Also, the tactile nature means after a little practice being able to see it doesn't play a factor. (I can imagine having to turn on a light to get my finger on the print reader on a biometric one.)

The deciding factor between vline and ft knox for me just came down to footprint and how heavy metal casing I wanted.

Just remember to leave the door open when you actually go to sleep so you can get at the gun if you ever needed it. All the box is there for is to play "lets pretend" if the police ever have to show up for some reason or another. The speed of operation of buttons, etc, is all complete bullshit- because all of them are too slow for the real world.

-Mike

Just remember to leave the door open when you actually go to sleep so you can get at the gun if you ever needed it. All the box is there for is to play "lets pretend" if the police ever have to show up for some reason or another. The speed of operation of buttons, etc, is all complete bullshit- because all of them are too slow for the real world.

-Mike

+1

-Mike

Good idea. Any police arriving is going to wake me up, and I am then awake and in control of my gun. They can't prove the safe wasn't locked and that I had just completed opening it 2 seconds before they enter.

another vote for FTKNOX
quick and easy to access and when i bought mine about 5 years ago, nothing in that price range was nearly as heavy duty. most being less than half the thickness steel. i don't want something that a burglar can tear into with a pair of pliers.

I love my speedvault. Only issue is that it will pretty much hold a single firearm an that's it. No extra mags or flashlight but I leave that stuff accessible anyway.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Oh and i use the button type only because I don't trust bio metrics after watching the mythbusters show about them

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom