Girl, 11, Brings AR-15 to Idaho Hearing on Gun Legislation

mikeyp

NES Member

1582575537120.png

An 11-year-old girl toting a loaded AR-15 assault weapon appeared Monday with her grandfather, who is supporting legislation that would allow visitors to Idaho who can legally possess firearms to carry a concealed handgun within city limits.

Charles Nielsen addressed the committee that voted to send the legislation to the full House as Bailey Nielsen stood at his side with the weapon slung over her right shoulder, but did not say anything.

“Bailey is carrying a loaded AR-15,” Charles Nielsen told lawmakers. “People live in fear, terrified of that which they do not understand. She's been shooting since she was 5 years old. She got her first deer with this weapon at 9. She carries it responsibly. She knows how not to put her finger on the trigger. We live in fear in a society that is fed fear on a daily basis.”

He said Bailey was an example of someone who could responsibly handle a gun, and lawmakers should extend that to non-residents.

“When they come to Idaho, they should be able to carry concealed, because they carry responsibly,” he said. “They're law-abiding citizens. It's the criminal we have to worry about.”

Republican Rep. Christy Zito, who is proposing the measure opposed by the three Democrats on the House State Affairs Committee, said the legislation is intended to clear up confusion about state gun laws. Backers also say it will give people the ability to defend themselves if needed.

Idaho residents 18 and older are allowed to carry a concealed handgun within city limits in Idaho without a permit or training following a new law that went into place last summer. The legislation would extend that to any legal resident of the United States or a U.S. armed services member.

“I stand here before you today as a mother and grandmother who has had to use a firearm to defend their child,” Zito said. She said two men once approached her vehicle with her daughter inside.

“Even though I didn't have to pull the trigger, just the fact that they could see it, and they knew that I had it, was the determining factor,” Zito said.

Opponents say allowing teenagers to carry a concealed weapon without any required training within city limits is a bad idea and could lead to shootings. If the bill becomes law, Idaho would be among a handful of states that allow that type of concealed carry.

“The vast majority of states require that a person get a permit before carrying a concealed gun in public," said Diana David of Moms Demand Action, an organization that seeks public safety measures to protect people from gun violence. “That's a common-sense policy.”

"Opponents say allowing teenagers to carry a concealed weapon without any required training within city limits is a bad idea and could lead to shootings. "

Um, have these liberal dingbats seen the crime statistics for the cities in Idaho? Like every other state, the law abiding folks carrying concealed aren't what you should be worrying about...

I like that her AR didn't look like this:
iu

Hearing or reading "common sense" makes me ignore anything after or before. It's like I believe in the 2nd or the rights of people..But. As soon as the word but is placed I could give 2 f***s what you have to say on the matter. You want common sense LEARN how to use and safely handle a firearm.

Hearing or reading "common sense" makes me ignore anything after or before. It's like I believe in the 2nd or the rights of people..But. As soon as the word but is placed I could give 2 f***s what you have to say on the matter. You want common sense LEARN how to use and safely handle a firearm.
Yes...when I hear those two words which I have come to hate, I know the next statement will be how they are going to take my God given rights away

Ok flame away but an 11 year old should not be used as an example. Not because she doesn't know how to handle a firearm but kids should be kids. Just like that kid from Europe, Greta what's her name and climate change. The family should be proud of her firearm and hunting skills but let her be a kid and not a prop.

I believe in a lot of states an AR-15 is still an FID card rifle. Am I wrong?
Yes. The fid card is a bastardization, though closely mimicsed by the IL FOID and RI Blue card. In a lot of states the AR15 is subject only the federal regulations.

As to the 11 year old - I remember Ayoob telling me he had his then 10ish daughter carry a gun in some questionable country (I think it may have been South Africa) because the bad guys in a holdup ambush would not be searching the kid for weapons.

Yes. The fid card is a bastardization, though closely mimicsed by the IL FOID and RI Blue card. In a lot of states the AR15 is subject only the federal regulations.

As to the 11 year old - I remember Ayoob telling me he had his then 10ish daughter carry a gun in some questionable country (I think it may have been South Africa) because the bad guys in a holdup ambush would not be searching the kid for weapons.

The RI Blue Card doesn't apply to long guns.

I believe in a lot of states an AR-15 is still an FID card rifle. Am I wrong?
Only if by "a lot of states" you mean the four or five that have any such thing as an FID.

In the vast majority of states (40+), no state permission is required to buy, own, sell, or give away any firearm.

"Opponents say allowing teenagers to carry a concealed weapon without any required training within city limits is a bad idea and could lead to shootings. "

Um, have these liberal dingbats seen the crime statistics for the cities in Idaho? Like every other state, the law abiding folks carrying concealed aren't what you should be worrying about...

Lewiston Idaho? [rofl2]
Located in the southeastern corner of the state, on the Atlantic coast, Lewiston ranks 10th for its danger.

Can you imagine the s**tshow if this had happened at the Massachusetts State House? The state would have gone into lockdown for a month. The outrage would be the equivalent of a 10 mt nuclear explosion.

Back
Top Bottom