Gipsy Moth Infestation

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on Cape Cod and I've got a little problem. The entirety of the lower cape is infested by Gipsy Moth Caterpillars. These things are defoliating everything thats not a pine at a rate that rivals napalm. They're shitting all over everything (if you listen at night it sounds like a light, steady rain). The things are all over the cars, the ground, the house, everywhere. I have never seen it this bad. I've read that there's a virus of some sort that attacks only the gipsy moth and causes them to melt. Only problem is that the state would have to deploy it from aircraft to make sure the infestation is fully contained. Is there any recourse here? Anybody know what state agency would be in charge of such an eradication effort?

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think this year will be like the year we had them in the early 80s. It was crazy, I remember riding my bike and hearing snap, pop, crunch of just endless caterpillars under my bike tires.
Not much was done to stop them then, I think ya just got to deal with it.

Jason.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think his year will be like the year we had them in the early 80s. It was crazy, I remember riding my bike and hearing snap, pop, crunch of just endless caterpillars under my bike tires.
Not much was done to stop them then, I think ya just got to deal with it.

Jason.
I remember that year. I was in Plymouth then and remember how the back of my shirt would be covered in green goo after a bike ride. I've never seen anything like it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, its getting that bad. Especially as the stupid things are getting bigger and bigger. I guess the only plus side is that there will be plenty of free firewood to scrounge next spring when none of the deciduous trees leaf out. Hopefully we'll have a frigid winter this year to kill off most of the egg sacks the adult moths leave. Tree were a lot of moths laying eggs last year, followed by a very warm winter. I guess the lack of sustained sub-freezing temps created a perfect storm for an infestation this year.

Last edited:

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I remember that year. I was in Plymouth then and remember how the back of my shirt would be covered in green goo after a bike ride. I've never seen anything like it.
Yep even cars were covered in green bug goo. Drive down any quiet road and you can them snapping.

Jason.

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spray your trees to stop them on your property. Once a healthy tree is defoliated, it will sprout a new set of leaves. However this will seriously weaken it and another caterpillar attack will probably kill it. Once all the leaves are gone, the buggers will start on the pines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I remember this from the 80's, people would wrap duct tape around the tree trunks and coat the outside with vaseline. This was supposed to stop the caterpillars from climbing up the trees from the ground, they'd get stuck in the vaseline and couldn't get above it into the branches and leaves.

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I remember this from the 80's, people would wrap duct tape around the tree trunks and coat the outside with vaseline. This was supposed to stop the caterpillars from climbing up the trees from the ground, they'd get stuck in the vaseline and couldn't get above it into the branches and leaves.
One of the local radio stations played the parody song "Tape a piece of foil round the old oak tree"

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I recall the 80's. And the reinfestation in the 90's. It was bad. You'd put carpet tape around your trees and still 60% of them would make it up and into the canopy.

Last year, we chopped every deciduous tree in the yard. No more problems for me. But I've got about 200 capatillerz dead in my driveway. ???? We cut the trees down in Spring so it isn't like the old ones moth'd out, laid eggs and here they are. Gone. Very strange.

I don't miss those days. Not in the least. Thousands of them making the bark of the tree appear like it was moving. Gross. We had this HUGE oak tree over our pool. GROSS!!!!! My dad waited until the damned tree was dying and the pool was long gone before he took that stupid thing down. One would think in the early 80's with fuel costs and such he would have gladly chopped it down. Nope. I recall at one point during one year, there was so much capatillerz crap in the pool the thing just completely went T/U. It must have been about 4 or 5 separate chemicals to pour in just to re-stabilize the pool. GAH!!!!

Gosh my dad was cheap. He wouldn't chop the tree down. He put tape around the trees ONCE a season (at $2/roll ya know) and then poured a s-ton of money into chemicals for a pool we couldn't use for a month of the season due to the # of bugs around. Wow.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured I'd post an update. The plague continues. I've taken to going out and toasting as many as I can find on and around the house with a propane torch. I'll clear one area, then two minutes later i come back and theyre swarming again. This is disgusting. I can't take the dog for a walk without a bunch of these stupid vermin repelling down from the trees and landing on me. I need a fleet of crop duster planes loaded up with whatever biological agent is most effective against these things to spray the piss out of the cape before everything is defoliated and these things start trying to eat people.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Just figured I'd post an update. The plague continues. I've taken to going out and toasting as many as I can find on and around the house with a propane torch. I'll clear one area, then two minutes later i come back and theyre swarming again. This is disgusting. I can't take the dog for a walk without a bunch of these stupid vermin repelling down from the trees and landing on me. I need a fleet of crop duster planes loaded up with whatever biological agent is most effective against these things to spray the piss out of the cape before everything is defoliated and these things start trying to eat people.
As mentioned earlier, BT (a bacterial infection targeted to specific bugs) is the safest and most effective treatment. But you need a pretty big-ass high-powered sprayer to get onto the leaves of mature trees.

They WILL die when they overpopulate. So you've got that going for you. If not this year, you'll have a yard full of half-full-size/half-shrunken-ass dead cadderpillerz from whatever disease or starvation gets them when they overpopulate.

-B-

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
went to camp in the 80's during the height they had just about defoliated all the trees in western Ma, then they started in on the pines that was their doom it killed them off in droves , when the rents picked me up after 2 weeks it was all green again

interesting fact we tried using the caterpillars as bait fish just spit them back out

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My brother's neighborhood in Uxbridge, MA is totally infested. Minutes after we last talked about I found a few in my yard in Grafton. I hope we don't get over run with them like we did in the early 80s. That was disgusting, and they completely defoliated most of the trees. You could hear them eating.

m_n_x

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My yard is covered with these bastards. Just ordered some of this stuff - it's supposed to work great on gypsy moth caterpillars but doesn't kill anything else. It's a bacteria - going biological warfare on them.

thuricide.JPG
Bonide Chemical Bacillus Thuricide

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My yard is covered with these bastards. Just ordered some of this stuff - it's supposed to work great on gypsy moth caterpillars but doesn't kill anything else. It's a bacteria - going biological warfare on them.

View attachment 169396
Bonide Chemical Bacillus Thuricide

What time of year do you put that down? Interested.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Same here. I'll have to look into sprayers as well. It'll be worth the investment as this is an ongoing problem.

We have an oak tree that overhangs half my driveway. Every year the little suckers chew the leafs up and shit on the car. Since I can't take down the tree I'd love to nuke the little buggers.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Do they give anybody else a rash? I've been trying to find the poison ivy in my yard that the dog must have been tracking in for a month now, thinking it was the source of this outbreak of rashes my wife and I have been getting. That is until I leaned on the railing of my deck and landed on one. Then a couple days later I had a sport blow up on my arm the same size of one of the little buggers.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My brother's neighborhood in Uxbridge, MA is totally infested. Minutes after we last talked about I found a few in my yard in Grafton. I hope we don't get over run with them like we did in the early 80s. That was disgusting, and they completely defoliated most of the trees. You could hear them eating.

That's not chewing, it's pewping.

Do they give anybody else a rash? I've been trying to find the poison ivy in my yard that the dog must have been tracking in for a month now, thinking it was the source of this outbreak of rashes my wife and I have been getting. That is until I leaned on the railing of my deck and landed on one. Then a couple days later I had a sport blow up on my arm the same size of one of the little buggers.
Yep. My son was up the street about 3 weeks ago playing with some other boys. He was sorta getting picked on. (Why is it they prey on the one that won't prey on others???? My girls went through the same thing.) Boy comes home, no problemo. The two boys he was playing with: One stayed home from school due to rashes. The other went to the hospital with severe reaction. One has to wonder about karma in that instance.

Top Bottom