Gilford (NH) Police Now Allowed To Carry Their Own Rifles On Duty

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Gilford police can use own guns

GILFORD — Selectmen on Wednesday approved a police request to allow officers to carry their personal rifles on the job.
Police Chief Anthony Bean Burpee explained why he was supporting the request through a new policy governing the weapons, saying that several officers already have their own rifles, and it would cost about $10,000 for the department to provide them for everyone.
The policy first came up last month, but selectmen delayed action on the request in order to have the chief present to answer questions.
“There would be more accountability if we own them,” Bean Burpee said, “but every year we have a list of items we need, and since several of our officers, including two on the Belknap Regional Special Operations Group have their own weapons, as long as they meet the same qualifications, it frees up other rifles in case we need them.”
The department currently has 10 rifles, which are assigned to patrol vehicles, rather than the officers. That leaves eight officers with only handguns, the chief said, and he is hoping to add two other officers, which would leave half of the force without rifles.
The new policy allows officers to ask permission to carry their personal weapons while on patrols or working their shifts, as long as the weapons are certified and inspected by the department.

Gilford police can use own guns

That’s a good reason to have a union.
What’s next, bring your own dog, and ammo?

Use your own patrol car?

Not a bad idea, it would be nice if they got an allowance for wear and tear.

Given a choice of my own weapon that I maintain and know pretty well, or a department issued weapon that has been beat to death by 6 officers ahead of me, I'd take my own every day of the week.

Not a bad idea, it would be nice if they got an allowance for wear and tear.

Given a choice of my own weapon that I maintain and know pretty well, or a department issued weapon that has been beat to death by 6 officers ahead of me, I'd take my own every day of the week.

This. Or if the Dept issue has a gritty trigger or other issue that wouldn't qualify it as unusable, since its your own you could quickly get it fixed without going through what I assume is a decent amount of red tape to get your gun worked on.

I'd rather have my own that I'm familiar with .
I remember one friend telling me when they switched stuff over to a new cruiser, they cleared the shotgun and when he looked down the barrel , some numbskull has been using it to stuff their candy wrappers in.

You guys will be the first ones screaming when someone gets get shot from an n.d. Due to a d.i.y.
Trigger job with a 2lb. Pull.

Not me. Because I know that the trigger pull doesn't matter if you keep your finger outside of the trigger guard.

Feinstein-Trigger-Discipline.png

Yes, why wouldn’t you? How’s that relevant?
It relevant due to personal unsafe mods made by unqualified owners , not done by qualified dept armorers.

And using same unsafe equipment on the job.

Pretty simple .

Ripe for a lawsuit if the public or an officer has a problem.

Ex. Cop tries to stop armed robbery ,goes in with personal gun , gun jams , cop gets shot,
Sues dept for not providing proper equipment.
Slam dunk.

One Incedent will far exceed any short sighted savings .

Last edited:
You guys will be the first ones screaming when someone gets get shot from an n.d. Due to a d.i.y.
Trigger job with a 2lb. Pull.

Fake problem, create a list of approved equipment, state "gun must be configured as from manufacturer and signed off/approved for duty use by dept armorer". Done.

I would bet anything that if more LEOs had to buy their own shit you wouldn't see guns getting left on the shitter in public places, or rifles getting stolen out of cars, shit like that. Most of that would evaporate.

-Mike

Will there be any personal accountability for using your own rifle. How often are these things checked any way?
Sounds crazy I'm guessing there's some sort of kick back to the officers for supplying thier own guns? What about the kick back from the vendor supplying the guns to vendor what about thier cut?
Didn't PDs get free rifles from the military not to long ago.?
I'm not sure how ratty your shared equipment is but if its that bad do you trust your current equipment inspector?

That’s a good reason to have a union.
What’s next, bring your own dog, and ammo?

Use your own patrol car?
In the Texas county where I lived from 1989-2012, deputies received a monthly equipment allowance. They bought their own uniforms and duty gear, their own firearms, their own patrol cars, and even their own fuel. The county would outfit the vehicles with lights and graphics and cages, and it was up to the deputies to maintain them and make them last.

I'd rather have my own that I'm familiar with .
I remember one friend telling me when they switched stuff over to a new cruiser, they cleared the shotgun and when he looked down the barrel , some numbskull has been using it to stuff their candy wrappers in.

Tragedy of the commons. Like most shift-change paperwork, inventory and inspection is pencil-whipped more often than not.

Sweet. Now I can bring my "You're f***ed" rifle instead of using ol' rusty.
As if Brailsford would have been slower to murder with a department rifle instead of his own. Shavers is still dead, and his killer is a free man.

I call EFFING BULLS****
Do you have any idea how many multi million dollar residences are in Gilford? Governor's island alone, probably isn't one under a milliion.
My tax bill in GIlford is 16000, and my neighbor's is 20000.
How may town services do they need? I was up there the other day. It's a ghost town in winter, and the population in the schools is tiny.
All the cops, fd, hiway are driving new cars every few years, sure some of that tax money gets spread around to the state, but come on, that's a load of crap about the money.
I can tell you they don't spend it on the roads. they are garbage.

Great reporting snax!
Like BOS the PD is screaming we need money like every other .gov sector does. Tax moneys ends are fungible. Have you really ever seen the starving "food insecure" children we all hear about in liberal media outlets. Wasn't Duval's feed the children food pantry CEO an unqualified female hack making 325k asked to step down? Ask yourself this, have you seen many kids as overweight bots that compound their own food insecurity lifestyle all their days or all the starving children?

I call EFFING BULLS****
Do you have any idea how many multi million dollar residences are in Gilford? Governor's island alone, probably isn't one under a milliion.
How may town services do they need? I was up there the other day. It's a ghost town in winter, and the population in the schools is tiny.
All the cops, fd, hiway are driving new cars every few years, sure some of that tax money gets spread around to the state, but come on, that's a load of crap about the money.

They really need a rifle in every car tho,
The crowd on trivia nite at Patricks can get dangerous.:confused:

I call EFFING BULLS****
Everyone thinks their taxes are too high. And about your 16000 tax bill: how much is your house worth?

Everyone thinks their taxes are too high. And about your 16000 tax bill: how much is your house worth?

The house down the street from me was for sale, it had a pool, detached garage, second unbuildable lot.
Called the real estate agent, house could be had for 450K... affordable considering I could sell my current house for 325K all day long. I asked about property taxes..... 13K.... and the town did not know about the finished lower level so that would boost it if it was ever disclosed/discovered.

My house is worth about 325K and my tax bill is pushing 8 grand on a 1 acre lot in Southern NH.

It does not take much to get a brutal tax bill in NH.

That goes double for a seasonal town where the owners of vacation and other properties do not get a vote when it comes to the budget.

I'd love to be able to carry my own rifle at work. The rifle I checked out for quarterly qualifications a couple weeks ago looked like it hadn't been cleaned in...well...ever. And whoever zeroed it last was cross-eyed or possibly blind.

Under a mil. On the lake. Family house. We have to rent it 1/2 the summer. A lot of regular people up there getting squeezed

But we all know that Guilford has one of the highest property tax rates on the water there if you are on the mainland. Surprisingly the island properties are still fairly reasonable thus a lower tax bill. Of course the slip at the yacht club adds to your liability.

The state sure did build a state of the art marine safety complex.

I would bet anything that if more LEOs had to buy their own shit you wouldn't see guns getting left on the shitter in public places, or rifles getting stolen out of cars, shit like that. Most of that would evaporate.

Now, recycling bins, they're a whole 'nother matter! ;)

When I was in the army, I bought all my own TA-50. So did everyone else. If you actually used the stuff they issued, you’d end up spending days overcleaning it for the civilian inspectors at CIF.

But we all took really good care of our gear. After all, it was OUR gear. I’m sure I’d feel the same way if I was PD.

I can see it now.

Police report.
We responded to a report of an out of control Chihuahua and made contact. After firing all of my 200 5.56 rounds at the target the Chihuahua was still coming at me in a slow tail wagering aggressive manner. I turned to deputy Bob and asked for ammo and at that time he handed me an AK 47 magazine. Knowing this will not fit into my rifle I turned to Deputy Fred and he handed me a Hi-point 9MM magazine. I want to report that I now have PTSD from the vicious attack and pursue legal actions against the town for my injuries.
//////Nothing follows/////////////////

Back
Top Bottom