Gifts from father

My father has two rifles he wants to give me. They have never been registered. Both are about 40 years old. What paper work will have to be done? I'd also have them checked by a gunsmith for safe use.

To sum up what everybody has said above-

If you both live in MA, you both are properly licensed, and your father hasn't transferred/sold more than two guns this year already: Go to your local PD and pick up two FA-10 forms. Fill them out and send them in to the address listed in the instructions. That's it.

If you both live in MA and you are licensed but your father is not, or he has already transferred/sold more than two guns this year: Retrieve his two guns, and take them and him to your favorite dealer. The dealer will transfer the two guns from him to you.

If you live in MA and are licensed, but your father lives outside of MA: Have him ship the two guns to your favorite dealer (or have his local dealer ship them if your dealer won't accept shipments from non-dealers) and the dealer will transfer them to you.

If you don't have a proper license: Obtain proper license and then see above.

As an addition to jdubois's correct procedures, if you're licensed in MA and your father lives out of state, you can go with your father to a dealer in his state (assuming this is nearby or you happen to be visiting) and have a dealer in there transfer the guns to you. In this case, you'll need to file the FA-10s (just including the information for registration) when you bring them back to MA.

Ken

So I'm assuming he's in state? He's currently committing at least a misdemeanor by keeping guns in the house without a permit. Go get his guns and him and march them both down to your local FFL, and have them transfer the guns to you (you are licensed, right?).

I'm awaiting my license from Leominster. Won't take the guns, until I have my license in hand, unless a war breaks out. We are both in MA. So once I'm approved, we'll be taking a trip together.
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom