Gifting guns to family member in NY

I have a couple old shotguns and a .22 rifle that I want to give to a family member who lives on Long Island, NY. I live in Mass. Do I need to fill out any forms for this? Also is it legal for me to transport them to NY in the trunk of my car? I have a Class A LTC with firearms and hunting restrictions, thanks.

You and the family member need to go to a dealer in NY for the transfer.

NY could care less about your MA LTC. NY does not require a permit for possession of a long gun. This makes your end destination legal to possess. This means FOPA (as much as it is paid attention to by NY) in play to travel from your house to your destination on LI.

Locked container clearly meats the statue. Trunk, I would not gamble with when dealing with NY.

Don't enter NYC limits. That can end badly. They have more restrictions.

You can't just give them to your family member. You can loan them, but if you are transferring ownership you will need a NY FFL to complete the transaction.

Thanks for the info, I have trigger locks on them as well. Any idea what the NY FFL cost would be? Also do I need to do the paperwork at a NY dealer?

Thanks for the info, I have trigger locks on them as well. Any idea what the NY FFL cost would be? Also do I need to do the paperwork at a NY dealer?
You'd have to call the dealer and find out. Every shop is different regarding transfer fees.

Yes this has to be done at the NY dealer since that is where the family member taking the guns, lives.

Talk to the dealer you will use. They control the fee.
What you should expect is that they will copy your drivers license and give you a receipt. Your family member will then need to fill out a 4473 and pass the background check. NY law I don't know so don't know if they have anything evil like limits (1 per 30 days) or mandatory waiting days, etc. Again, ask the NY dealer. That is their job and what you will be paying them for.

Trigger locks do not comply with FOPA, I suggest you do some reading on the laws for transportation and the Fed Law on FOPA.

Fed Law prohibits transfers between 2 people (even if they are family) that don't reside in the same state. Any such transaction must take place at an FFL to be legal.

Back
Top Bottom