Gifting guns in NH

Greetings, does anyone know if it is legal to gift a revolver to an 18 year old in NH if both people are residents of the state? Does anything need to go through an ffl or something like that? Much thanks

OEJ is a bit crusty this morning.

I agree with his "go green" comment, and here's an elaboration on the actual law.

Federal:

May an individual between the ages of 18 and 21 years of age acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who is also a resident of that same State?
An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same State, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A Federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.

NH State Law:

159:12 Sale to Minors. –
I. Any person who shall sell, barter, hire, lend or give to any minor any pistol or revolver shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
II. This section shall not apply to:
(a) Fathers, mothers, grandparents, guardians, administrators or executors who give a pistol or revolver to their children or wards or to heirs to an estate.
(b) Individuals instructing minors in the safe use of firearms during a supervised firearms training program, provided the minor's parent or legal guardian has granted the minor permission to participate in such program.
(c) Licensed hunters accompanying a minor while lawfully taking wildlife.
(d) Individuals supervising minors using firearms during a lawful shooting event or activity.

Note NH law refers only to "Minors," which is defined in NH RSAs as a person under 18 years of age.

And:

159:14 Exemption. – None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.

There is no prohibition against gifting a pistol to an 18 year old who is personally known to you, and who is not to your knowledge an otherwise prohibited person.

Not really crusty, I just think that folks can get more accurate info from the actual laws than they can get here, especially if they get "opinions".
Fair, but why the "come back when he's 21" comment?

And, in fairness, the guy did come to a sub-forum called "NH Gun Laws," under a forum called "Gun Laws," to seek information on NH Gun Laws...

And, in fairness, the guy did come to a sub-forum called "NH Gun Laws," under a forum called "Gun Laws," to seek information on NH Gun Laws...
Brain fade, coffee got cold, survived ATF audit. I need ten lashes. Forgive me. Jack.

True, NH isn't MA, so what we may think as "required by law" doesn't necessarily apply to our neighbors up North!

A FFL can not sell a handgun to anyone under 21, there is nothing in NH RSA's that prohibits an 18 year old from owning a handgun, and nothing I know of that keeps you from gifting FTF to someone over 18 that is personally known to you, and is not to the best of your knowledge somehow ineligible to own one.

But where the problem starts is buying ammunition, some places may balk as pistol/handgun calibers are (iirc) not supposed to be sold to people under 21, but the work around is so many rifles are chambered in pistol rounds all you have to do is say it is for a Ar15 chambered in 9mm, and those exist as do other calibers

A FFL can not sell a handgun to anyone under 21, there is nothing in NH RSA's that prohibits an 18 year old from owning a handgun, and nothing I know of that keeps you from gifting FTF to someone over 18 that is personally known to you, and is not to the best of your knowledge somehow ineligible to own one.
Well said. Makes me wish I'd said that.

Wait...

Back
Top Bottom