• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gifting guns for special reasons

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Anyone done or doing that? In my family, I gave my 60+ yr old Colt Woodsman to my 9 yo grandson, Little Jack, just because I hope that he will pass it down to future generations. I gave my Stag AR 15 in 5.56 along with a 6.8 upper for hunting to son Scott to change my luck. Shot many deer with the Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Carried the AR for three years and no deer. Bad luck gun. Son Mark in AK gave a nice Marlin 1895 carbine in .38/.357 to Little Jack as a "reward" for taking a black bear. And thanks again to the great NES member who donated a 20 ga shotgun to the grandkids so that they could hunt turkeys during the NH youth seasons. So far they have each taken two birds with that gun. Good times. Jack.

Anyone done or doing that? ... I gave my 60+ yr old Colt Woodsman to my 9 yo grandson, Little Jack, just because I hope that he will pass it down to future generations....

I was about to attempt a joke about offering your grandson a videogame for that Colt, but seriously:

I am about to do the same thing for the first time--if it ever got back to you that one of your gifts was sold, how do you think you'd handle that?

Yes, I know, a gift is a gift. Sometimes I suppose I worry that the recipient may not understand the (aside from monetary) value.

Never received as a gift but no one in my family (thats alive) shoots.

I hope to have kids some day so that I can hand them down my prized T53.

Holy crap--I've always wanted a 90mm.

usspg-T53-90mm

I was about to attempt a joke about offering your grandson a videogame for that Colt, but seriously:

I am about to do the same thing for the first time--if it ever got back to you that one of your gifts was sold, how do you think you'd handle that?

Yes, I know, a gift is a gift. Sometimes I suppose I worry that the recipient may not understand the (aside from monetary) value.
I'm blessed in that my family is so close that we don't worry about the small stuff.

I gave a single shot .22 rifle to a buddy of mine on his birthday years back. I gave it to him on the understanding that he'll use it to teach his boys to shoot. (They are now approaching that age where they should be brought to the range)

I would worry about that as well but I could never see someone doing that. Once my brother is out of the service and gets his LTC, I plan on building him an AR. He's got 5 years left and I'm sure he will sign up for more haha. I've got time!

No I told my son after I am gone he can have the contents of my three gun safes...all he has to do is figure out the combinations. Should be easy they are all a variation of his birthday...too bad there are millions of variations of his birthday....

My son will get them all.
There a few special one's that I made sure he knows the story's that go with them, so he can tell his kids.

Back
Top Bottom