• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gifting from a C&R Dealer?

Hi Folks,

Let's say I pick up a C&R eligible rifle from a reputable vendor with an intent to gift it to a licensed person.

Once I receive the rifle (it's a simple bolt action), I have to file the FA-10 for myself and log it into my bound book.

To gift it, I then have to log it out of my bound book and file an additional FA-10 for the gifting transfer.

Does this all sound ok? I'm making sure that I have all my ducks in a row.

Thanks!

Well... if you guys happen to be my father-in-law(s), I got you a Russian M44. [smile]

I brought him out shooting mine (1946 Izhevsk) a few times before and he loved it. And for the price these really are a pretty reasonable gift.

Now just to figure out the paperwork. I think I've got it all. It is definately not a straw purchase because he is a western MA LEO.

Why is there a difference between a a gift and a sale?

Isn't a transfer a transfer, no matter why it's done?

The only thing I'd be mildly concerned about would be the closeness in dates of the acquisition and deposition in the BB.

The C&R states that it is for enhancing your collection.

It does allow for getting rid of items if it is done as part of enhancing the collection, such as buying one that is better than one you have and selling off the worse of the two, or buying two to get and keep the better, etc.

I guess if you bought it, found that it didn't enhance your collection and got rid of it, that would be ok, but just buying it for the purpose of giving it away is stretching the rules a bit.

IANAL

Jon and Dennis,

Those two things you brought up were two that I thought of as well. I already have an M44. I've purchased this one sight unseen, if it comes in and is better then the one I already have then I'll give him my old one thereby "enhancing" my collection.

I wonder how often it happens though. Someone buys a rifle sight unseen, receives it (logs it in), finds it isn't what he was looking for, and trades it or sells it(logs it out). Obviously, one of the rules of the C&R is to not make this a business, but once in a while I can see this happening with any collector.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Oh and I'm definately talking him into getting his own C&R! Everybody should have one! [grin]

The only thing I'd be mildly concerned about would be the closeness in dates of the acquisition and deposition in the BB.

That's what I would be concerned with as well. I'm not an expert tho and I'm not sure if it's allowed. A C&R is only for your own collecting.

From my understanding, the biggest "concern" about abusing the C&R license (at least as far as I've been told) is using it for business/for profit. Since you're giving the rifle as a gift, and I'm assuming this is not a habitual practice, I couldn’t see any red flags going off.
On a side note, I shot my first M44 this afternoon, as as soon as my shoulder stops hurting, I plan on ordering one myself!

Back
Top Bottom