Gifting a gun

My cousin is getting married and my gift to him is an AR pistol. Five years ago when I got married he bought me a 1911 and that’s when we bolth lived in mass. My question is can he fill out the 4473 and let me pay for it at the counter as a gift. Not sure if this is a silly question.

My cousin is getting married and my gift to him is an AR pistol. Five years ago when I got married he bought me a 1911 and that’s when we bolth lived in mass. My question is can he fill out the 4473 and let me pay for it at the counter as a gift. Not sure if this is a silly question.

Few questions:

(1) What state are you both in?
(2) Do you know of a store that does free transfers?
(3) You already own the gun, right?

The rule that the buyer pays the transfer fee at a FFL is just generally a custom rather than a law. At least in states outside Mass. I have no clue what goes on at Mass FFLs. Sounds nightmarish.

Why not get him a gift certificate from the store you’re planning to get him the pistol from ?

Sounds like OP's already got the AR pistol to give. This is basically a private transfer with a sale price of $0.00.

My boss paid for my first rifle. 30-06. I filled out the form. Purchase was made at bass pro in MA. Instant approval of background check. No issues

Few questions:

(1) What state are you both in?
(2) Do you know of a store that does free transfers?
(3) You already own the gun, right?

The rule that the buyer pays the transfer fee at a FFL is just generally a custom rather than a law. At least in states outside Mass. I have no clue what goes on at Mass FFLs. Sounds nightmarish.

Sounds like OP's already got the AR pistol to give. This is basically a private transfer with a sale price of $0.00.
I do not own the pistol we would bolth go to shooters he would fill the 4473 out and I would pay for it as a gift. We bolth live in NH

We are going to go next sat early to shooters and I’ll grab a gift card downstairs while he is checking out the pistols upstairs.

We are going to go next sat early to shooters and I’ll grab a gift card downstairs while he is checking out the pistols upstairs.

Make sure they're open because they're currently closed. Or check out KTP in Maine. They both have gift certificates and a Kittery has NH satellite office to allow NHers to take guns home the same day. Kittery is open.

Oh. Then just give him a gift certificate.

Or you could just buy it and give it to him. That's within NH state law.
Thankfully we are exempt from all the Massachusetts bs

There's quite a few posters who think this is Massachusetts shooters and voice opinions based on their ignorance and unfamiliarity with freedom.

Last edited:
An astute dealer will deny that as a straw sale.

I can't imagine a dealer not being willing to sell you a gift certificate.

Gotcha thanks guys I have only lived in NH for a couple years and don’t have a grasp on every law just yet like i did in mass. NH is totally wide open compared to what I dealt with in Massachusetts. It still shocks me how ridiculous mass gun laws are. When I lived in mass I was at the point I didn’t really look at magazines or go on websites because I could not own anything. So when I moved to Derry a few years ago I felt liberated. I have all types of cool shit now. Suppressors, AR pistols everything you could want lol.

An astute dealer will deny that as a straw sale.

I can't imagine a dealer not being willing to sell you a gift certificate.
This is why I asked the question because I always thought that magic work GIFT was okay. Thanks guys gift certificate it is.

I believe my cousin is going with a bcm pistol or the saint from Springfield. I have the bcm in 300 blk and it’s sick with a suppressor

This is why I asked the question because I always thought that magic work GIFT was okay. Thanks guys gift certificate it is.
It's technically not a straw sale because he would not be transferring the gun to some other than the person filling out the 4473, however, it would certainly look like it if he selected the gun and you paid. Particularly if he starts asking you for advice during the transaction.

Why isn't just writing the guy a check (edit: or cash) and throwing it in a card, expressing that the money is for a gun purchase, everyone's first thought so that these threads don't ever need to get created in the first place?

Last edited:
Why isn't just writing the guy a check and throwing it in a card, expressing that the money is for a gun purchase, everyone's first thought so that these threads don't ever need to get created in the first place?

Because shit walks and cash talks. Cash is king. Checks take days to transfer if the two people have different banks.

It is okay to purchase a gun as a gift. You can fill out the 4473 honestly as the actual transferee/buyer as long as the person you’re giving it to is not giving you money or goods, and can lawfully possess it. There is NO need for him to fill out the 4473.

If you know he’d like the AR pistol, buy it and give it to him like a normal gift. If you are not sure what gun he’d like, go the gift card route.

Cite: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

“Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, a person is the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is purchasing the firearm for him/herself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for him/herself. (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn, retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party. A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm.”

I guess my question was can he fill out the 4473 and I pay for it. I was just curious. Wanted a little insight before I do this. Years ago my cousin bought me a gun as a gift at collectors gallery in Stoneham mass and jack said we used the magic word which was gift. I was asking in NH is it the same thing. My cousin bought me a wedding gift and now I’m returning the favor.

It is okay to purchase a gun as a gift. You can fill out the 4473 honestly as the actual transferee/buyer as long as the person you’re giving it to is not giving you money or goods, and can lawfully possess it. There is NO need for him to fill out the 4473.

If you know he’d like the AR pistol, buy it and give it to him like a normal gift. If you are not sure what gun he’d like, go the gift card route.

Cite: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

“Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, a person is the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is purchasing the firearm for him/herself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for him/herself. (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn, retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party. A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm.”

We were just getting a good bUt StRaW pUrChAsE circle jerk going and you have to come in with the facts.

Back
Top Bottom