• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gifting a firearm out of state

Ok I know out of state sales need to go through an FFL. What about gifts to family? My daughter moved to GA. I want to give her a 20gauge that's registered to me here in MA. For her to lawfully take possession of it do I need to go through a GA FFL or can I just give it to her?

You can only give it to her (without an FFL) if you die and leave it to her in your will.

Otherwise, you can ship or deliver it to an FFL anywhere she can get to, and she can pick it up there. Except that "anywhere" doesn't include Massachusetts, because we suck.

The easiest thing would be to box it up (without ammo, obviously) and ship it via USPS to an FFL in GA who will accept shipments from individuals. (some won't. Not because of a law, but because that's their policy) If you can't find one that'll do that, ship it to any FFL she likes through an FFL in MA. (which will cost you twice)

You can't ship *handguns* via USPS, only long guns.

Re handguns. Sometimes its actually cheaper to ship through an FFL. He can ship USPS flat rate box. Which puts most handgun shipping costs in the $6-$13 range. You have to ship overnight or second day air. Which puts it in the $60-$80 range.

So even if he charges $40 to ship. You are still spending less.

Back
Top Bottom