Gift giving for a new black powder gun owner????

I like the idea of a T-handle for the rod. But I think what I'm going to do is get him some of the Bore-butter and a gift card. When we were at the range, he was saying he didn't think you could get lubricant for the bore. I'm sure since the range day he has done some more research, but if he hasn't this would be a good surprise.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

My rifle is a .53 Hawken that uses black powder, patched round balls and percussion caps but his probably uses sabot slugs, pyrodex pellets and 209 primers. Get him some of those, targets and some solvent that dissolves corrosive residue. He can also clean with Windex/vinegar. If he's new to muzzle loading, he may not know not to put his gun away without cleaning it.

blackhorn powder ( it aint cheap) and clean it like a regular rifle, makes loading and cleanup super easy
I switched to Blackhorn 209 powder a few years ago and I'll never go back to anything else. Way, way cleaner than anything else I've tried and the power and accuracy are excellent. I load 100 grains under a 50 cal Barnes Spit Fire and my groups have been outstanding.
And just like my smokeless guns I just clean and lube with good old WD40.
The black powder purists out there have a mini stroke when I say I only use WD and they tell me horror stories about how it will ruin my guns. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

got any leads on the powder? Just tried looking for some, nada, zip, zilch.

I switched to Blackhorn 209 powder a few years ago and I'll never go back to anything else. Way, way cleaner than anything else I've tried and the power and accuracy are excellent. I load 100 grains under a 50 cal Barnes Spit Fire and my groups have been outstanding.
And just like my smokeless guns I just clean and lube with good old WD40.
The black powder purists out there have a mini stroke when I say I only use WD and they tell me horror stories about how it will ruin my guns. I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Back
Top Bottom