Gift giving for a new black powder gun owner????

nightpoison

NES Member
So, my brother in-law recently picked up a black powder rifle for hunting season. Christmas is almost here, any suggestions on any accessories that might make his excursions more pleasant. I know when we went to the range cleaning between each shot was a pain in the a$$, and loading the bullet was a bit of a choir. Anything to make either of these easier? more pleasant? Any other suggestions?

50 cal bore snake makes cleaning easier in between shots. Small Quarter or 3/8 drive breaker bar or ratchet with 6 inch extension and proper deep socket for the breech plug, bore butter, breech plug grease can never have enough grease on the plug threads. cleaner is always good and needed as bp is corrosive, patches, bullet starter, extra rods carbon fiber are good. 209 caps are hard to find for real. White hot powder pellets are a good choice.
I just got into bp last month with a knight vision special a lot to learn for sure, its a blast firing, makes 12 gauge feel like a .22.

Get him like a gallon of ballistol and some goex or swiss, the substitutes really kinda suck compared to the real thing

this shows you how much I know about this. haha. So he isn't actually using loose power, he uses these packed powder cylinders, not loose powder. So I don't think a powder horn will work.

A Gift card maybe? Unless you noticed what he was missing at the range.
If his rifle did not come with the accessory kit maybe that.
Bullets are expensive for BP , maybe get him a 50 cal bullet mold i have a nice little round bullet starter a froend gave me. Works great especially for the range.
Cleaning rod thats long enough. The ram rod that comes with it is a little short deep cleaning come emdcof season.
Can never have enough cleaning patches

Last edited:
A Gift card maybe?
A gift card to one of the big box stores or from one of the credit card companies
is marginally useful. The business will probably still be around in a year.
Although cards tend to start leaking value after a certain number of months with "fees".

But don't be giving anybody "gift certificates" nowadays.
Businesses are folding left and right,
and "gift certificates" are unsecured loans.

A gift card to one of the big box stores or from one of the credit card companies
is marginally useful. The business will probably still be around in a year.
Although cards tend to start leaking value after a certain number of months with "fees".

But don't be giving anybody "gift certificates" nowadays.
Businesses are folding left and right,
and "gift certificates" are unsecured loans.
I guess dependent on how much the gift value, buying random stuff is about a waste of money as anything.
Buy a bag of cleaning patches, those little tubes that hold the powder charge and bullets and the balance of what you where going to spend in cash ear marked for other stuff he needs

A Gift card maybe? Unless you noticed what he was missing at the range.
If his rifle did not come with the accessory kit maybe that.
Bullets are expensive for BP , maybe get him a 50 cal bullet mold i have a nice little round bullet starter a froend gave me. Works great especially for the range.
Cleaning rod thats long enough. The ram rod that comes with it is a little short deep cleaning come emdcof season.
Can never have enough cleaning patches

Mac has some good ideas

A good T- handle range rod is a must. I have this one:
Cabela's Universal Muzzleloader Range Rod | Cabela's

A few small packages of different projectiles and some different pellet weights so he can work up the best load for his rifle. Hogden Trlpple 7 powder pellets are available in 60g, 50g, and 30g weights. It also comes in granular powder.

With those three pellet weights you can test a variety of different powder weights to see what shoots best.

Loose powder is infinitely adjustable and more flexible.

Bob

Best accessory I bought for my CVA was the bag full of stuff. Looks like it would have to be bought it in pieces right now though.

Thompson Center hunter's powder measure and Thompson Center clear 1200 grain flask to fill the measure. Goex, Schuetzen or Swiss real black powder. Hodgdon Pyrodex loose FFG 16oz can from Cabela's to try the loose powder route.
Buy Hornady Sabot bullets and full lead hollowpoints (for practice at range) at Midway USA through the mail. I just did.
I know you said he's not shooting loose powder, but he may like it, and it may fire better shot after shot.
Plus, the real black powder cleans up well with soap and water, and then you can use the bore butter or Ballistol to lubricate everything.

For loading, a good bullet starter (probably Thompson Center or CVA), and turn the gun horizontal with the muzzle rod and push the bullet down by pushing it slowly into a wood post or something. But don't crush the pellet(s). Cleaning and lubricating the gun helps the bullets go down easier.

Like other said, since it's a modern muzzle-loader, and he's probably going to use pellets, a bunch of 209 primers, if you can find them.

Range rod, bullet starter, barrel blaster, quick clean breach plug container, CVA makes a matching case. You can go on and on. You can get him a gift certificate to Midway and he can pick out whatever he wants.

Back
Top Bottom