Giant safe!

shootback

NES Member
My wife and I went to the Big E yesterday and look what I found! This is the biggest gun safe I have ever seen. It's like 9 feet tall. I WANT!!!!!!

Is that real? I saw it in Vermont a month or so ago and was told by the shop owner it was fake and for promo only.

Dave

No, it is real. This is bigger than my first apartment. My wife said it would be a good buy and that I could live in it when she kicked me out for spending that much money.

That safe has been around for a few years and is for sale if you have a place to put it. It still impresses me each time I see it.

Saw that at ESS earlier this year, absolutely huge. My 11 year old asked the sales guy to open it to look inside. Looked real to me.
I think you'd need more than an appliance dolly and a couple of friends to get it into the basement.

Saw that at ESS earlier this year, absolutely huge. My 11 year old asked the sales guy to open it to look inside. Looked real to me.
I think you'd need more than an appliance dolly and a couple of friends to get it into the basement.

Times like this are the reason I still have a valid crane operators license.

Did you find out the weight of that safe? Mine is about half my height, 2 feet wide and still weighs 460 lbs.

Yup, I've seen that safe at Eastern Security Safe in Mendon. I think they have a store in Springfield too. Best selection of good, quality safes in New England.

I saw that at the hunting show. I would have to remove a wall to get that in the house. And prolly have to raise the ceiling. Maybe ill just bolt it down with wood screws in the shed, don't want anybody to wheel it away.

I looked at the other night when we were at the Big E. It is real, and has 2 levels inside, with 4 separate compartments to put long guns into. You would definitely need a step ladder to access the top compartments, though. I would personally rather have a safe that was built like a walk in closet, as this one is too tall to be practical. It is only about as deep as a regular 24 gun safe. Also, the steel on it felt very thin when I tapped the sides and even the door. It felt like the same gauge that cheaper Sentry, Cannon, etc. safes use, so it could be broken into in less than 5 minutes with a decent cutoff wheel. Nice novelty display, but definitely not worth the price inmo.

qe8y3ery.jpg

Although huge, the safe is rather thin - I think only 12ga or possibly even 14ga. While it would be pretty safe from cart-away, it would be fairly easy to cut a big hole in the unit. Also, if this is the same one Champion carted to the Shot Show, it has a door on each side.

for that much you might as well buy a bank vault door from a salvage place (the one in new Bedford had one for years) and set it into a extra thick rebar-conc wall.
just curious, whats 'safer'... 1ft thick conc with lots of rebar or 1/2" steel plate?

for that much you might as well buy a bank vault door from a salvage place (the one in new Bedford had one for years) and set it into a extra thick rebar-conc wall.
just curious, whats 'safer'... 1ft thick conc with lots of rebar or 1/2" steel plate?

What you are talking about I am actually planning to build into my new house when we move out of this state. I'm not wasting the time or money here because I plan to only be here 2 years or less. Anyway, with regard to your question, I plan to use both. I will build a reinforced concrete enclosure as big as practical for the space (and budget of course), then weld steel plate to either the interior, or exterior, likely the later. The plan is to build it in such a way that it can double as a "panic room" for short term protection from natural or man made disasters. If its designed into the foundation plan there would be no real constraints on size, so I would build it to be at least 14x20 or so. Obviously for it to be a panic room, it would also need a ventilation system so I'm still working out the details on that. If we don't build a home like we plan, it will be a bit harder to retrofit into an existing structure, but still doable.

What you are talking about I am actually planning to build into my new house when we move out of this state.
Bank vault doors are unsuitable for panic rooms since

- they generally cannot be opened from the inside when locked
- the hinge outwards, rather than inwards.

If anybody goes to the BigE and wants to look at it, it's in the Better Living Building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and 2 cans with a string

Back
Top Bottom