• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ghost gunner machine

I was just watching the following video, and he discusses ghost gunner machines. I think this is an important thing to have especially in our liberal owned and operated state. If a liberal president gets in after Trump, you can bet they're going to create the environment necessary to go door-to-door confiscating your guns, and Mass is always the testing ground for liberal ideas. We're at ground zero.

Manufacture Your Own Firearms For Liberty & Security

I was interested in purchasing this machine, but I went to the website and it's down:
Ghost Gunner

Does anyone know where you could get one of these?

I was accessing the website from an epic browser. It wouldn't let me access it. It probably doesn't want anonymous viewing which is a little suspicious.

You are a) way behind the curve, and b) paranoid. Gun rights have been expanding overall for the last 30+ years, even under Obama and a democratic Congress.
I remember more gun rights back in the 50's and 60's and even the 70's. Many dept. stores carried and sold guns and ammo. I don't remember any lists restricting what gun I could buy. Guns could be mail ordered directly to your door into the mid 60's. I could walk down the street carrying a rifle or shotgun without the ensuing panic that would now occur in states like MA. About the only stupid thing I can remember from I believe it was in the 70's is that ammo purchases were logged in at stores when you bought ammo. They finally smartened up and realized that it was a waste of time and money to do this. Guns and the people that owned them weren't demonized. I'd take what we had in the mid 60's and before over what we've got now any day.

I remember more gun rights back in the 50's and 60's and even the 70's. Many dept. stores carried and sold guns and ammo. I don't remember any lists restricting what gun I could buy. Guns could be mail ordered directly to your door into the mid 60's. I could walk down the street carrying a rifle or shotgun without the ensuing panic that would now occur in states like MA. About the only stupid thing I can remember from I believe it was in the 70's is that ammo purchases were logged in at stores when you bought ammo. They finally smartened up and realized that it was a waste of time and money to do this. Guns and the people that owned them weren't demonized. I'd take what we had in the mid 60's and before over what we've got now any day.
I'll remember that next time I try to buy an AR or a Glock here in MA.
He wasn't talking specifically about MA. Overall across the country gun laws have been loosened tremendously since the mid-80s. All 50 states now have concealed carry, whereas in the 80s only a few did. We're up to around 15 states that have passed constitutional carry. Stand your ground laws have been expanded. Meanwhile, no federal gun control has been passed...

Without getting into the discussion about so-called "ghost guns", I will say that this machine is just a CNC machine. As such, don't expect to just press a button and have it spit out something you can immediately use. They are not meant for casual users. They will require calibration, functions testing, milling experience, and a working knowledge set for 3D design. And with all that, you'll still mess up your first attempts. Let's just say that I am well experienced with 3D design and 3D printing, and I'd still be hesitant in getting one knowing all the potential headaches one will have along the way.

Without getting into the discussion about so-called "ghost guns", I will say that this machine is just a CNC machine. As such, don't expect to just press a button and have it spit out something you can immediately use. They are not meant for casual users. They will require calibration, functions testing, milling experience, and a working knowledge set for 3D design. And with all that, you'll still mess up your first attempts. Let's just say that I am well experienced with 3D design and 3D printing, and I'd still be hesitant in getting one knowing all the potential headaches one will have along the way.

Yes - and No.

It's a CNC machine designed for very specific purposes, and it's aimed at a specific user. You do need to be able to read instructions and turn a wrench, but that's about it. There's a very active FaceBook group with a LOT of support for it. You really don't need to know anything about CNC programming, setup or 3D design to run one.

There are also a couple guys who are extending its capabilities by manufacturing jigs and providing a web-based service to cut GCode from your input text or image, which you can then download and process using the DefCad provided executable. Which in English means that you can engrave your lower...

The GG2 is also currently cable of milling out AR-10's and 1911's with some other projects in the works. It's a pretty neat machine.

On the other hand, if you're just planning on doing a vanilla 80% lower, I'd go with a jig set and mill it out. Because a GG2 is about 1600 USD, and a jig set can probably be borrowed.

Regardless of what you use, depending upon what state you're living in, you really need to check out the state laws as well as the federal laws. Federal law says that you can complete an 80% lower for PERSONAL use. Some states, such as Connecticut say that you can't - because it's not "pre-ban" - it's a NEW firearm - and you can't bring it into the state.

So, my personally finished and owned AR's, built here in my home in GEORGIA - don't visit CONNECTICUT - and I'm not sure about the legality of the OP building one in MASSACHUSETTS - I've never had reason to look it up.

Anyway, considering all your really beginner questions, you may want to try something simpler first than milling a block of metal. Maybe assemble a gun from completed parts. This will of course require a 4473 for the lower receiver (or whatever they consider "the gun"... depends on what type of gun), and eventual EFA-10 for the completed gun. Except if you're in MA, good luck with that.... supposedly any AR type of gun is now "illegal".

Yes - and No.

It's a CNC machine designed for very specific purposes, and it's aimed at a specific user. You do need to be able to read instructions and turn a wrench, but that's about it. There's a very active FaceBook group with a LOT of support for it. You really don't need to know anything about CNC programming, setup or 3D design to run one.

There are also a couple guys who are extending its capabilities by manufacturing jigs and providing a web-based service to cut GCode from your input text or image, which you can then download and process using the DefCad provided executable. Which in English means that you can engrave your lower...

The GG2 is also currently cable of milling out AR-10's and 1911's with some other projects in the works. It's a pretty neat machine.

On the other hand, if you're just planning on doing a vanilla 80% lower, I'd go with a jig set and mill it out. Because a GG2 is about 1600 USD, and a jig set can probably be borrowed.

Regardless of what you use, depending upon what state you're living in, you really need to check out the state laws as well as the federal laws. Federal law says that you can complete an 80% lower for PERSONAL use. Some states, such as Connecticut say that you can't - because it's not "pre-ban" - it's a NEW firearm - and you can't bring it into the state.

So, my personally finished and owned AR's, built here in my home in GEORGIA - don't visit CONNECTICUT - and I'm not sure about the legality of the OP building one in MASSACHUSETTS - I've never had reason to look it up.

You say you don't need to know anything about 3D design, but that sentence right there will baffle anyone who has no frame of reference.

Also, while it is function-built, it is still far from plug and play for someone who has never used any type of industrial machine.

A what browser??

You know, an Epic Browser.

kid-blown-away-YOSPOS-hanging-onto-computer-desk-woah-1426604868q.jpg

He wasn't talking specifically about MA. Overall across the country gun laws have been loosened tremendously since the mid-80s. All 50 states now have concealed carry, whereas in the 80s only a few did. We're up to around 15 states that have passed constitutional carry. Stand your ground laws have been expanded. Meanwhile, no federal gun control has been passed...
I wasn't talking just about MA. CA. NJ and NY have passed more also. Yes they've been loosened in some places since the 80's but I was talking about how things were better before then. These violations of our rights never should have been put in place by government and they never should have been allowed in the first place by we the people. Unfortunately politicians have gotten away with a lot and there are those that won't stop.

Last edited:
You say you don't need to know anything about 3D design, but that sentence right there will baffle anyone who has no frame of reference.

Also, while it is function-built, it is still far from plug and play for someone who has never used any type of industrial machine.

My dad was an electronics, electrical and mechanical engineer - I grew up in his basement. I write code for a living and I can (and have) torn my bike down to the frame and put it back together. Sometimes my frame of reference isn't the same as others. But seriously, it's NOT a complicated machine to use. It's DESIGNED for the end user. I swear, it's more like an appliance than an industrial machine. You plug it into your PC and follow the instructions.

It's easier than doing them on my (non-CNC) mill.

My dad was an electronics, electrical and mechanical engineer - I grew up in his basement. I write code for a living and I can (and have) torn my bike down to the frame and put it back together. Sometimes my frame of reference isn't the same as others. But seriously, it's NOT a complicated machine to use. It's DESIGNED for the end user. I swear, it's more like an appliance than an industrial machine. You plug it into your PC and follow the instructions.

It's easier than doing them on my (non-CNC) mill.

No argument there. Just that with how OP is coming off, I can't imagine it would be as plug and play for him. For instance, you'd have to even make the assumption that he's good enough with a computer to install drivers (if any) and the milling software to run the Gcode. And if that was an issue, god, the rest would be a nightmare in comparison.

No argument there. Just that with how OP is coming off, I can't imagine it would be as plug and play for him. For instance, you'd have to even make the assumption that he's good enough with a computer to install drivers (if any) and the milling software to run the Gcode. And if that was an issue, god, the rest would be a nightmare in comparison.

Yeah. And I do have to remember that my son uses my screw drivers as prybars. And then leaves them lying on the bench. And doesn't understand why I'm pissed off. We all have different skills.

A friend of mine from NH used a 5D jig recently, he commented that he had built it up in his head to be the super technical, hard to do, poor result process. Turns out, in about an hour and a half he produced an outstanding lower that if the inside was coated you couldn’t tell the differs from a factory variant.

A Ghost Gunner is cool as the newer versions also do 1911’s iirc. As it’s G-code, and a lot of places have info on it, modifications can be made to the code easily. No way I could justify $1600 though.

I prefer my Ghost Machine-Gunners Headless...

A prelude to South Africa...

Last edited:

Most states banned or regulated carry though. Shall issue wasn't a thing until the 80s came along.

I love my 5D jig ... perfect results, not one headache - so simple ... the shavings get everywhere though- even with a vac set up

I wan't talking just about MA. CA. NJ and NY have passed more also. Yes they've been loosened in some places since the 80's but I was talking about how things were better before then. These violations of our rights never should have been put in place by government and they never should have been allowed in the first place by we the people. Unfortunately politicians have gotten away with a lot and there are those that won't stop.
As late as 1986 there were just 8 shall-issue states and 1 with constitutional carry. 16 states simply didn't allow the carrying of firearms outright, including states like Texas and Arizona.

By 2017 there were 0 states that didn't allow carry; 29 shall-issue states; and 13 with constitutional carry.

Gun sales have been hitting new records year after year.

About half of the states have passed stand your ground laws in the last 15 years.

We just had eight years of arguably the most anti-gun administration in the history of this nation with no new gun control at the federal level despite their strong efforts.

So what exactly is the basis for your statement that "things were better before then"?

Many dept. stores carried and sold guns and ammo. I don't remember any lists restricting what gun I could buy. Guns could be mail ordered directly to your door into the mid 60's. I could walk down the street carrying a rifle or shotgun without the ensuing panic that would now occur in states like MA. About the only stupid thing I can remember from I believe it was in the 70's is that ammo purchases were logged in at stores when you bought ammo. They finally smartened up and realized that it was a waste of time and money to do this. Guns and the people that owned them weren't demonized. I'd take what we had in the mid 60's and before over what we've got now any day.

As late as 1986 there were just 8 shall-issue states and 1 with constitutional carry. 16 states simply didn't allow the carrying of firearms outright, including states like Texas and Arizona.

By 2017 there were 0 states that didn't allow carry; 29 shall-issue states; and 13 with constitutional carry.

Gun sales have been hitting new records year after year.

About half of the states have passed stand your ground laws in the last 15 years.

We just had eight years of arguably the most anti-gun administration in the history of this nation with no new gun control at the federal level despite their strong efforts.

So what exactly is the basis for your statement that "things were better before then"?

My basis is what I said in my earlier post. That I could buy a gun any gun except full automatic just about anywhere. I wasn't harassed for being a gun owner. I could walk down the streets where I lived with a shotgun or rifle in my hand without getting stopped and questioned. I never tried it with a pistol so I don't know what would have happened in that case. There are still infringements on where one can carry in many of the states today. Also even more disgusting is that with so called republicans in charge to my knowledge no infringements were removed and from what I've heard soon we're going to get bombarded with more attempts to infringe upon our rights. The Supreme court hasn't been hearing cases. Scalia ruled that infringements are okay in Heller. States that are pushing more gun control just ignore any judgements against them etc. There wasn't this continuous assault on our rights that we have now.

Back
Top Bottom