Ghost Gunner has Jig and code for Polymer 80 "not-Glock"

allen-1

NES Member
It's a new product launch - which is important because it shows that the company's moving forward.

What's of real interest is that if you read the announcement, the two people given a lot of credit for the development are Gunnar at GGD and Matthew at Komar Enterprises. And they're the guys who have been behind all of the development work for the facebook group and the engraving work.

It's true collaboration between the manufacturer and the end users.

Polymer80 Launch Announcement – Ghost Gunner

It's a new product launch - which is important because it shows that the company's moving forward.

What's of real interest is that if you read the announcement, the two people given a lot of credit for the development are Gunnar at GGD and Matthew at Komar Enterprises. And they're the guys who have been behind all of the development work for the facebook group and the engraving work.

It's true collaboration between the manufacturer and the end users.

Polymer80 Launch Announcement – Ghost Gunner

Group buy??

Heh... I sent them an email using the "if you think there's an error" link and got this back:

ghostgunner said:
Good Afternoon,

It's unfortunate the NJ IP blocker is a bit overzealous, but you can always
place an order by phone with us and we'll get you taken care of. We can't
unblock any IP address because if even one New Jersey resident is able to
see our site, the NJ Attorney General will charge everyone at this company
with a state felony for criminal mischief and we will all do prison time in
New Jersey. I don't know about you, but we're too pretty for New Jersey
prison life.

512-584-8013 (Option 1 for sales)

That's funny and all, but without being able to even look at a picture, there's no way I'm buying anything from them.

And... "...if even one New Jersey resident is able to see our site.." sounds like bullshit.

They block you from seeing the site based on your IP address because NJ...
Why bother?
I think it's that they are blocking states where the state AG has joined in the lawsuit NJ initiated. I'd use a vpn or proxy service.

I'm hoping they come out with the plans for the 9mm AR lower. I know they had that completed testing in 2018. I wanted one for PCC division. I haven't yet found great reliability with 9mm mag conversion devices for my (regular) AR lower, despite having a decent quality upper.

Heh... I sent them an email using the "if you think there's an error" link and got this back:

That's funny and all, but without being able to even look at a picture, there's no way I'm buying anything from them.

And... "...if even one New Jersey resident is able to see our site.." sounds like bullshit.

I don't think it's bullshit. I think they're under attack. I've read a little about the lawsuits filed against them, and while I think the lawsuits have no merit they've still been filed. They're operating under new management due to Cody Wilson's stupidity in not verifying that the girl/woman he hooked up on a dating site was of legally consenting age.

You think that we're under attack for "high capacity magazines" and "assault weapons"? This company is selling CNC mills that allow people who can't run machinery to professionally finish 80% lowers and more. This company put out the plans for plastic guns on the internet. They scare Feinstein, Murphy, Blumenthal, etc. They're freedom.

Not everyone is Boris - we can't all beat our shovels into AKs. Some of us can use a milling machine, some of us can use computers, some of us can use 3D printers. This company is giving the unwashed public the tools to make GHOST GUNS. With or without flippy up things that fire lazer fricking beams from dolphins.

Anyhow...

As I've mentioned before, there's an active user community. This product came from collaboration with members of that community - and there are other products in the works. I've seen pics of the some of the stuff that guys are working on, "listened" to conversations about others. This jig's expensive, but - "buy once, cry once".

Hell, I've got a five-speed transmission end cover puller, and a nosecone cutter each of which cost me more than that in my roll-away that I haven't used in more than a decade. If they weren't oiled, they'd be rusting. Hmmm. Wonder if I should EBay those tools to buy this tool?

upload_2019-1-21_15-46-21.png

I don't think it's bullshit. I think they're under attack. I've read a little about the lawsuits filed against them, and while I think the lawsuits have no merit they've still been filed. They're operating under new management due to Cody Wilson's stupidity in not verifying that the girl/woman he hooked up on a dating site was of legally consenting age.

You think that we're under attack for "high capacity magazines" and "assault weapons"? This company is selling CNC mills that allow people who can't run machinery to professionally finish 80% lowers and more. This company put out the plans for plastic guns on the internet. They scare Feinstein, Murphy, Blumenthal, etc. They're freedom.

Not everyone is Boris - we can't all beat our shovels into AKs. Some of us can use a milling machine, some of us can use computers, some of us can use 3D printers. This company is giving the unwashed public the tools to make GHOST GUNS. With or without flippy up things that fire lazer fricking beams from dolphins.

Anyhow...

As I've mentioned before, there's an active user community. This product came from collaboration with members of that community - and there are other products in the works. I've seen pics of the some of the stuff that guys are working on, "listened" to conversations about others. This jig's expensive, but - "buy once, cry once".

Hell, I've got a five-speed transmission end cover puller, and a nosecone cutter each of which cost me more than that in my roll-away that I haven't used in more than a decade. If they weren't oiled, they'd be rusting. Hmmm. Wonder if I should EBay those tools to buy this tool?

View attachment 265364
Has that community considered posting dimensions for the jigs? My memory is that the GG design is open-source. Publishing the fixturing information would be fantastic. Posting g-code for the GG would be even better.

Has that community considered posting dimensions for the jigs? My memory is that the GG design is open-source. Publishing the fixturing information would be fantastic. Posting g-code for the GG would be even better.

Publishing is a problem because of lawsuits. DD sued the state department and won, but then jackass states’ AG sued to prevent DD from releasing.

The "fixturing information" for the jigs for the AR-15's and AR-10's is currently freely available from the community. They come as "stl" (??) files. That may/should make sense for people with 3-d printers, not my area of expertise. This newly released, (as of yesterday 01/21/2019), jig for a not-glock comes from the company DEFCAD, not from the user community. There was definite collaboration as can be seen from the credit given by Palomar to Gunnar and Matthew who are primary developers within the user community. But this new jig and GCode is a commercial product, not a user community product.

The "fixturing information" for the jigs for the AR-15's and AR-10's is currently freely available from the community. They come as "stl" (??) files. That may/should make sense for people with 3-d printers, not my area of expertise. This newly released, (as of yesterday 01/21/2019), jig for a not-glock comes from the company DEFCAD, not from the user community. There was definite collaboration as can be seen from the credit given by Palomar to Gunnar and Matthew who are primary developers within the user community. But this new jig and GCode is a commercial product, not a user community product.
Thanks. That makes sense.

That’s pretty cool. For just a little more than the cost of a glock at the gun store, I may just get one of these.

I mean, once you’ve got the printer, you just need more frames? Yes. And barrels of course.

One for me, one for the wife, one more for me. One for my 10 year old. One for my 11 year old. Another one for me.....

That’s pretty cool. For just a little more than the cost of a glock at the gun store, I may just get one of these.

I mean, once you’ve got the printer, you just need more frames? Yes. And barrels of course.

One for me, one for the wife, one more for me. One for my 10 year old. One for my 11 year old. Another one for me.....

Not exactly.

This is a JIG and CODE for the Ghost Gunner CNC mill, not a printer.
With these in hand, you need the GG2 mill, which is about $1600 USD.
Then you need a Poly80 compact frame kit with internals, and you need an upper.

It's not cheap.
And I don't even know if it's a "good" idea for a lot of people.

Hell - I've got a Poly80 full size frame that took me about 45 minutes to finish. I've got an Advantage Arms .22 upper on it, and it's a really fun gun. This kit is for the COMPACT frame, (G19/G23), and it's expensive. But - it should turn out perfectly machined lowers from a not-glock 80% lower. And if you've already spent 1600 on a GG2, and you like the compact frame, and you want an unserialized Poly80 - this might be the way to go.

Most interesting to me - is the fact that it's NEW DEVELOPMENT from DEFCAD. They're not stagnating, they're moving forward under new leadership.

Not exactly.

This is a JIG and CODE for the Ghost Gunner CNC mill, not a printer.
With these in hand, you need the GG2 mill, which is about $1600 USD.
Then you need a Poly80 compact frame kit with internals, and you need an upper.

It's not cheap.
And I don't even know if it's a "good" idea for a lot of people.

Hell - I've got a Poly80 full size frame that took me about 45 minutes to finish. I've got an Advantage Arms .22 upper on it, and it's a really fun gun. This kit is for the COMPACT frame, (G19/G23), and it's expensive. But - it should turn out perfectly machined lowers from a not-glock 80% lower. And if you've already spent 1600 on a GG2, and you like the compact frame, and you want an unserialized Poly80 - this might be the way to go.

Most interesting to me - is the fact that it's NEW DEVELOPMENT from DEFCAD. They're not stagnating, they're moving forward under new leadership.

Got you now. Didn’t notice that was just a deposit.

So, on a side note, if I owned one of these.....

Could I legally rent it out? Could I also legally sell the jig and 80%? Would I need an FFL and state refs if any? Or would I just be renting equipment like rental places do. And sell the parts like rental places sell the blades.

I know, bad place to ask legal advice. But do/did these guys have to get licenses?

This wasn't nearly what I was expecting before watching the video. I actually thought it meant the machine was going to mill entire frames until I watched the video (And even that was of questionable value. These aren't 1911's). It just makes the cuts and holes and requires a $200 jig? I suppose it might make sense if you already have the machine and are doing LOTS of P80's, but considering they already come with hand jigs, I don't see the value in this. Plus, isn't making it part of the fun?

Got you now. Didn’t notice that was just a deposit.

So, on a side note, if I owned one of these.....

Could I legally rent it out? Could I also legally sell the jig and 80%? Would I need an FFL and state refs if any? Or would I just be renting equipment like rental places do. And sell the parts like rental places sell the blades.

I know, bad place to ask legal advice. But do/did these guys have to get licenses?

disclaimer, etc.

The GhostGunner2, aka GG2, is a very small, very purpose built CNC mill. You hook it up to your PC and run an executable program that came with it as part of its purchase price. That program processes a stream of instructions to run the mill. The stream of instructions is written in a language called "GCODE", and is generally called a "program". Various programs are available from various sources to do things such as finish 80% AR-15's, finish 80% AR-10's, and now to finish an 80% not-Glock.

The ATF allows (yeah, ok, let's not go there right now please), you to manufacture firearms for YOUR PERSONAL USE. Therefore, using the GG2 to complete a firearm for yourself using your own GG2 is legal under FEDERAL law. State laws may vary. I know it's legal in GA. I know it's not legal in CT. I have no idea whether it's legal in NC.

Now - we get into "build parties" and other people using your equipment. I *think* that if you were to allow someone else to use your GG2 to manufacture a firearm, you'd be in deep shit with the ATF.

This wasn't nearly what I was expecting before watching the video. I actually thought it meant the machine was going to mill entire frames until I watched the video (And even that was of questionable value. These aren't 1911's). It just makes the cuts and holes and requires a $200 jig? I suppose it might make sense if you already have the machine and are doing LOTS of P80's, but considering they already come with hand jigs, I don't see the value in this. Plus, isn't making it part of the fun?

The video sucked. It was flash without substance.

I'm really a fan of DEFCAD and of the GG2. The entire concept of putting firearm manufacture into the hands of people who couldn't do it otherwise because they don't have a milling machine, or they can't use a drill press makes me happy. I grew up in a basement workshop. I know how to use a milling machine, a lathe, a drill press. I know to lift the file or hack-saw on the back stroke so that the filings drop out. But not everyone grew up like that, and the GG2 lets people make a beautifully finished product. Which is nice for the OCD also.

This application? Questionable value in my mind. BUT - it's NEW development. The company's moving forward. People have asked for this particular option - and now it's there. It's also, hopefully, a harbinger of things to come. So - I wouldn't buy a GG2 to make not-Glocks. But if I had one, I might buy this jig - because - Maura/Feinstein/Murphy. Or not - because I can finish a P80 by hand and that's 200$ I can spend on ammo.

Seems like a complete waste of $250. Even a complete hack could build a P80 Glock in 2 hours. How many of these do you need to make to make it worth your while???? Too many to ever be for personal use.

Seems like a complete waste of $250. Even a complete hack could build a P80 Glock in 2 hours. How many of these do you need to make to make it worth your while???? Too many to ever be for personal use.

Right? I'm trying to figure out who this is for. A mentally challenged orangutan can build a P80 with the included jig and a dremel (see youtube if you doubt this statement). If you already have the GG2, I suppose the added precision and time savings might be attractive, but $200+ attractive? I'd also think that if you have a GG2, you might also have a bit of a workshop, or at least a healthy garage with tools. It's not like you can have this thing milling metal blocks in your living room, so there is a good chance of overlap of owning this device and owning a drill press/hand drills. This certainly isn't for dealers/sellers/FFL's, as you'd be ruining the 80% factor. Who is going to see value from this?

I like progression, and I'm also a bit of a nerd with technology, but I can't help but see this as automation where automation is not required.

I think it's that they are blocking states where the state AG has joined in the lawsuit NJ initiated. I'd use a vpn or proxy service.

I'm hoping they come out with the plans for the 9mm AR lower. I know they had that completed testing in 2018. I wanted one for PCC division. I haven't yet found great reliability with 9mm mag conversion devices for my (regular) AR lower, despite having a decent quality upper.

9mm AR lowers are currently being completed on GG2 machines. There's a VERY active user community.

Right? I'm trying to figure out who this is for. A mentally challenged orangutan can build a P80 with the included jig and a dremel (see youtube if you doubt this statement). If you already have the GG2, I suppose the added precision and time savings might be attractive, but $200+ attractive? I'd also think that if you have a GG2, you might also have a bit of a workshop, or at least a healthy garage with tools. It's not like you can have this thing milling metal blocks in your living room, so there is a good chance of overlap of owning this device and owning a drill press/hand drills. This certainly isn't for dealers/sellers/FFL's, as you'd be ruining the 80% factor. Who is going to see value from this?

I like progression, and I'm also a bit of a nerd with technology, but I can't help but see this as automation where automation is not required.
Getting the 80% from DD, it's $20 less expensive than the one with jig from P80. That means you break-even at 10 completed frames (assuming zero loss).

If the argument is that the 2nd exists for us to protect ourselves from all threats, then the target market for this could include a person who likes to be prepared and wants to set aside a handful of untraceable firearms. A person in that position might think that the ability to leave the machine running while they do other things is worth the marginal cost. This is especially true if the same machine can finish other firearms as well.

9mm AR lowers are currently being completed on GG2 machines. There's a VERY active user community.

Is the community conversation entirely on facebook? (You can DM me if you'd rather not post publicly about where an interested party can keep track of the goings on)

Back
Top Bottom