• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ghost Gunner 3 now mills 0% lowers

KBCraig

NES Member
This is amazing!

I knew the 0% was always the end game but I didn't know it was possible with a GG3.

I really want to see a finished 0% though.

Any pics yet?

I don't think the GG3 is ahead of the curve...

All Brandon has to do is restrict barrels and then what?

This is amazing!

I knew the 0% was always the end game but I didn't know it was possible with a GG3.

Any pics yet?

I don't think the GG3 is ahead of the curve...

All Brandon has to do is restrict barrels and then what?
First, that's not in the president's power. That definition is in 18 USC 921. It would require an act of Congress to change.

Next, there are folks doing chemically etched rifling from pipes in their kitchens.

46ea8a688922612bf791556f221ddd81.gif

It isn't a 0%

Uses a multipart lower that you machine only one part but still requires at least one part to be EDM or broach cut for the magwell
Not surprised in the least. Clever, and probably good enough. Definitely more performative than anything. But that's sort of always been the job of the GG

It isn't a 0%

Uses a multipart lower that you machine only one part but still requires at least one part to be EDM or broach cut for the magwell
Quoting myself for continuity

Breaking the lower into three parts is genius - it allows a very small working volume to produce a functional lower from raw stock.
The buffer tower should easily be machined by the GG even the threads - it will need fixturing but that part is well with the capabilities just by slowly milling the threads.

The magwell in their "lower lower" still is an issue but a 3d printed insert would easily solve that and be plenty strong enough for thousands of mag changes without issue.

I agree. It also disrupts any definition of an AR "lower".

As much as I love this, it seems like possibly a risk vector for federal law being redefined A La Europe where they regulate any pressure rated parts such as barrels and bolts.

Quoting myself for continuity

Breaking the lower into three parts is genius - it allows a very small working volume to produce a functional lower from raw stock.
The buffer tower should easily be machined by the GG even the threads - it will need fixturing but that part is well with the capabilities just by slowly milling the threads.

The magwell in their "lower lower" still is an issue but a 3d printed insert would easily solve that and be plenty strong enough for thousands of mag changes without issue.
I don't understand.

Is the lower actually 3 different parts cut from one bar stock?

3 separate parts?

How do they connect?

What does this lower look like?

Even if you make it from an aluminum block, wouldn't the finished piece need to be hardened/anodized to work?
Not really.
You can use a raw lower just fine. Anodizing does two things (in an AR): make it pretty, and slightly improve wear resistance. That's part of the brilliance of the design. The receivers don't need to be especially hard.

It's a great proof of concept and rocks the boat.

Just buy 50 80% lowers and you'll have a lifetime supply and have a more solid lower than a bolt together piece.

I think lots of people will get an exponentially greater thrill up their leg when starting with bar stock.

Just buy 50 80% lowers and you'll have a lifetime supply and have a more solid lower than a bolt together piece.
Defense Distributed and Ghost Gunner Distributed Store often organize group purchases where one can pick up 10 AR-15 80%lowers 80% for $300. I was considering it when I was considering getting an FFL to manufacture my own for sale but gave up when I realized that GG3 takes over a year from the time you place the order and when you receive the product.

Defense Distributed and Ghost Gunner Distributed Store often organize group purchases where one can pick up 10 AR-15 80%lowers 80% for $300. I was considering it when I was considering getting an FFL to manufacture my own for sale but gave up when I realized that GG3 takes over a year from the time you place the order and when you receive the product.
Kind of like when Battle Cross Arms did a group buy on 80% lowers and was donating part of the purchase price to GGD. Who knows if we will ever get the lowers but I wonder if they ever donated the $3 per lower sold to GGD?

Looks pretty good given what's being asked of this very simple CNC machine. Clearly, you can see the tooling marks, but functional and one could opt to finish with a little elbow grease and enamel. I am curious the number of steps and jigs required in full milling, as well as how they mill out the takedown pin retention spring holes (probably the smallest and deepest hole).

Zero_Hero.png

Looks pretty good given what's being asked of this very simple CNC machine. Clearly, you can see the tooling marks, but functional and one could opt to finish with a little elbow grease and enamel. I am curious the number of steps and jigs required in full milling, as well as how they mill out the takedown pin retention spring holes (probably the smallest and deepest hole).

View attachment 564480
That hole is probably just a peck drill operation G83

As much as I love this, it seems like possibly a risk vector for federal law being redefined A La Europe where they regulate any pressure rated parts such as barrels and bolts.
They can try... but first, AR receivers (both upper and lower) don't regulate pressure, so they instantly become non-guns.

Good luck then going after barrels and bolts. How do you serialize a gas tube?

You can’t play this game according to what they *might* do in the future. If the gun grabbing statist f***s succeed in taking power with stuff like the “no republicans (not even RINOs) will win an election ever again” bill, they’re going to keep pushing and we’ll have to keep getting more inventive. Like this.

That is, unless and until a critical mass of people finally say enough is enough, and say so loudly and firmly enough to swing the pendulum back for a few generations.

I'm wondering how long it will take before the GG3 can make something like a Sig 320 FCU.
I'm assuming it is capable of doing that now. More of a code and jig question. But realistically, the only part it would have to make is the frame (part 5 below). The rest can be purchased as any other type of non-registered accessory.

fcupartslist.jpg

I'm assuming it is capable of doing that now. More of a code and jig question. But realistically, the only part it would have to make is the frame (part 5 below). The rest can be purchased as any other type of non-registered accessory.

View attachment 566000

@Boris say: Iz bent sheet metal. Buy $2 shit shovel from Vermont. Build fire. Drink vodka. Hammer shovel. Drill holes. Iz good, da?

Back
Top Bottom