• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ghost-gun concerns prompt feds to meet with firearms makers

Federal firearm regulators will meet with gun industry representatives Friday to discuss weapons that can be made from parts purchased online, a signal the Biden administration may tackle the proliferation of weapons known as ghost guns. The discussion between officials from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and firearms manufacturers is expected to focus on a possible expansion of the definition of what counts as a firearm, according to people briefed on the plans. Such a move could subject ghost guns to the same regulations as other firearms.

With the technology advances in 3D printing, internet/communications and technology in general, the feds will never be able to prevent people from building guns. I think the smart ones in government understand this already

The increasing numbers of ghost guns being recovered with criminal investigations is clearly one of the fastest-growing threats to public safety," said Eric Tirschwell, managing director at Everytown's legal arm. "This is a problem that ATF can fix."

Why doesn't anyone challenge their claims. Lets see the numbers and facts or is it just more lies to scare the sheep

Any other boomers out there remember the "Ghost Gun" that was advertised on the Saturday morning cartoons back in the day? It projected a picture of a ghost on the wall, then you'd shoot it with some sort of flashlight thingy...

The manufacturers should stand up and file out the door while flipping the ATF off, thirty seconds into the meeting.
My guess is, if they invite the big guys (Glock, Sig, SW, Ruger ...) that they won't care, since they don't manufacture 80% and most of the stuff used for 80% is manufactured by other companies.

How many people buy a Ruger upper to finish their AR build?

If anything, something like this could benefit the big guys.

On the other hand, if the big manufacturers are smart, they will try to stop it. Because once they take an inch, they will take a foot and so on and their rifles and handguns are next.

The increasing numbers of ghost guns being recovered with criminal investigations is clearly one of the fastest-growing threats to public safety," said Eric Tirschwell, managing director at Everytown's legal arm. "This is a problem that ATF can fix."

Why doesn't anyone challenge their claims. Lets see the numbers and facts or is it just more lies to scare the sheep

Plenty challenge the claims, but the media is not going to solicit or print our view of the issue because it doesn't agree with what they want. They want this story to scare people who think that gangbangers are making machine guns in their basements and any day now they are going to attack the suburbs and rape the women and kill them men. Suzy soccermom is terrified of ghost guns, even though she has no idea what they are.

Federal firearm regulators will meet with gun industry representatives Friday to discuss weapons that can be made from parts purchased online, a signal the Biden administration may tackle the proliferation of weapons known as ghost guns. The discussion between officials from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and firearms manufacturers is expected to focus on a possible expansion of the definition of what counts as a firearm, according to people briefed on the plans. Such a move could subject ghost guns to the same regulations as other firearms.
When I hear “ private company meets with feds” it translates to me as how can we pay you not to make stuff

I'm obligated to show ATF my licenses, wall posters, bound book, 4473s and inventory. Not required to enter into "discussions". Seminars are optional. Fools if they do this. Whatever they say will be edited and taken out of context. Jack.
And used against them

With the technology advances in 3D printing, internet/communications and technology in general, the feds will never be able to prevent people from building guns. I think the smart ones in government understand this already
Hahahaha ‘smart ones in government’!!!!

When I hear “ private company meets with feds” it translates to me as how can we pay you not to make stuff

Im sure it will be an offer they can't refuse.

hqdefault.jpg

Pre-teen Pathan boys in the Khyber Pass have been manufacturing homemade firearms with primitive hand tools for many decades. It is much easier and more precise with modern machine tools. No effective way to stop this practice. Let Biden waste his time trying.

So, they're probably going to try to choke off the supply of parts for finishing an 80%.
How are DIYers supposed to keep their factory guns running?
What if I lose an AR detent during disassembly/cleaning?
What if I need a new extractor for a glock?
Already hard to find glock parts because all the Poly 80 builds going on.
What are they going to require? Buy all parts thru an FFL? Are they going to record your firearm serial #? No serial # (ghost gun) they record that info, so now there is a backdoor record of someone owning one?
What if you have a frankenstein AR with 10 different brands mixed together? A factory glock frame with an aftermarket upper?

So, they're probably going to try to choke off the supply of parts for finishing an 80%.
What are they going to require? Buy all parts thru an FFL?
Lol not sure if serious. Market is doing a good job of that by itself right now at least.

I bet their regulation of “ghost guns” ends up extending to parts beyond the receiver.

I think that there might be a "pause" of some sort, but eventually a court will toss the ATF out on their ear, like with bump stocks. "You can't change the law!"

Any other boomers out there remember the "Ghost Gun" that was advertised on the Saturday morning cartoons back in the day? It projected a picture of a ghost on the wall, then you'd shoot it with some sort of flashlight thingy...

Had it. Maybe 1978-79ish. The trigger was HELLA heavy. Basically the rear of the gun moved around in a small area of the front. Flashlight in back onto film inserted in front. Pulling the trigger allowed you to punch a hole in the target - much like a glass-breaker tool for a car. Or a finger-whacker for diabetic testing. (Finger whacker is the technical term. Just so you know.)

What are they going to require? Buy all parts thru an FFL? Are they going to record your firearm serial #? No serial # (ghost gun) they record that info, so now there is a backdoor record of someone owning one?
What if you have a frankenstein AR with 10 different brands mixed together? A factory glock frame with an aftermarket upper?
Dont some manufactures already pull this shit , like browning only selling parts to licensed smiths?

“Proliferation” - rapid increase in numbers

How do you know there’s a proliferation of something that is a “ghost gun”?

Journalism... lol

Back
Top Bottom