'Ghost Gun' Bill Passes Rhode Island Senate

well now, "ghost" is now well up there along with "transparent" as some of my most hated words. [thinking]

So does that include antique firearms that don't have serial numbers? Or is the law written to indicate "modern" firearms? Made after a certain year? No grandfathering? And they're only made for criminal activity (according to the article)?

Update: See the bill now. Thanks for posting it.

well now, "ghost" is now well up there along with "transparent" as some of my most hated words. [thinking]

That could work in our favor. 12 years ago, Obama promised hte most transparent administration in history. He outlined HOW it was going to be transparent. All the things that were going to happen. Not a single item was implemented.

Ergo, Ghost Guns will just cease to exist as a thing. Oh sure they'll be home-made 80% firearms, but they don't exist as far as the government is concerned. LOL

Best in life: Crims from RI will come to MA to build/buy their P80's. How strange. (Well, at least until WE get our own ghost-gun-30-round-second-clip law.)

So how would this work? Before it is a completed firearm, make up a serial number and engrave it so that not a single minute passes without a serial number? Does it have to be unique or registered somehow? Otherwise, I pick EABOD001.

Ghost guns, 3-D printed guns and undetectable plastic guns are designed especially for criminal activity," said Senator Cynthia Coyne, the bill's sponsor. "They are meant to dodge the legal safeguards that protect public safety. Our state laws should be very clear that possessing, creating or selling them is a criminal act, and we should be doing everything we can to keep these dangerous weapons from proliferating here."

"I’m very grateful that the Senate has expedited this common-sense legislation, which addresses a loophole that has developed via new technology while protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens," Coyne continued.

[puke]

2020-01-30 11.24.27.jpg

Well if it's not legal after I build it, I guess, de facto, I'm a criminal IF I build it. Unreal.

MA tries this crap I'm buying a pile of 80% AR frames and registering each and every one of them incomplete. Prove me wrong. At least I'll have the option later of completing it. Hell, I'd have the option later of selling them. Pre-ban 80% kits! ROFL!!!

According to section 8 of the definitions and my understanding of GCA '68, a non-FFL should have no problem continuing to make non-serialized firearms at home and not run afoul of this. Am I missing something?

number engraved or cased in metal alloy on the frame or receiver by a licensed manufacturer or 19

importer under federal law. It does not include a firearm that has been rendered permanently 20

inoperable or a firearm that is not required to have a serial number in accordance with the Federal 21

Gun Control Act of 1968.

How many crimes are committed with these guns? How many have been confiscated by police? How many thousands or tens of thousands are sold? Seems that almost all of the buyers of these "ghost guns" didn't get the memo that they were supposed to use them to commit crimes. This is just a way to try to lie to the public and get them on your side to ban guns one small step at a time.

Well if it's not legal after I build it, I guess, de facto, I'm a criminal IF I build it. Unreal.

MA tries this crap I'm buying a pile of 80% AR frames and registering each and every one of them incomplete. Prove me wrong. At least I'll have the option later of completing it. Hell, I'd have the option later of selling them. Pre-ban 80% kits! ROFL!!!
If you own billet aluminum and know someone with a machine shop, you're guilty.

The bill does not appear to allow for applying for a serial number from the ATF, such as normally would be required for transfer.
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText20/SenateText20/S2004.pdf
That would make this a ban on home-built firearms.

There is no federal law or regulation to ever apply a serial number to a firearm manufactured by you, for your own use, even if you later sell it. ALL such laws and regulations are state or local.

There are countless examples of firearms both homemade and commercially built that have no serials.

Back
Top Bottom