GF looking for her first pistol

Good list but I wouldn't want the sig in there,,Just my opinion. The ccp actually is a great small pistol and in hand feels really good. I may be heading up to MFL sat or sunday night if you want to try the 43 PennyPincher and or QueenBee

Thanks for the offer but we will be half way to Texas by then. But I would definitely be interested once I get back!

One other thing, men need to stop thinking that women will do well with small guns. They don't .

Many of the firearms recommended here can be difficult to get proficient with. Thats not ideal.
My Scandium/Aluminum J frame is a great little hide away gun. But I need to practice with it regularly to even remain remotely proficient with it.

In contrast, I can pick up a 1911, SR9, or a Glock 17 and am immediately somewhat competent.

Don

One other thing, men need to stop thinking that women will do well with small guns. They don't .

Many of the firearms recommended here can be difficult to get proficient with. Thats not ideal.
My Scandium/Aluminum J frame is a great little hide away gun. But I need to practice with it regularly to even remain remotely proficient with it.

In contrast, I can pick up a 1911, SR9, or a Glock 17 and am immediately somewhat competent.

Don

Good advice here. Smaller guns have more felt recoil, shorter sight radius, and lower round counts. Provided the grip fits her hand she would be better served with a full size handgun, especially if she is going to carry in her purse.

I'd be happy to help but only at my home range in NH. I don't go into MA. I'm sure people will likely offer who live closer, but should you want to make the drive I have a Shield 9 (safety disabled), Ruger LC9s (safety and mag disconnect deleted, so it's basically an LC9s Pro), and G19. If you're interested I wouldn't need payment or ammo. Just bring your own and that would do.

edit: Just some advise. My girlfriend likes her Shield for its size but she really doesn't like the two-part trigger. She loves to shoot my G19 and loves the trigger, but can't conceal a gun of its size. She thinks round count aside she'll like the G43 best. Also she really likes Talon grips on any gun. Adds a lot of comfort.

Last edited:
Update: Lady likes G19s. Why am I not surprised she likes the more expensive one lol
She was shooting my Beretta very well hitting tight groups in the black very well! Even a few bullseyes!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 57
Id also recommend a walther PPS in 9mm. You can get them pretty cheap especially used. The 9mm shoots great. I have the .40 version here and its a great gun but way too snappy for most new shooters.

I took my sister to the range a few weeks ago for her first time shooting and was pretty surprised. She loved the 92FS but was VERY accurate with my M&P 45c.

Update: Lady likes G19s. Why am I not surprised she likes the more expensive one lol
She was shooting my Beretta very well hitting tight groups in the black very well! Even a few bullseyes!

outdoor night shooting?

G19 is a great choice.

I think she would be very happy with an M&P Shield 9mm. I sure am.

If she is at all skittish about doing this, I'd recommend starting her with a Ruger SR22, train awhile and then move up to the Shield.

If you don't already have one for her to try, i'll gladly swing by DF&G on one of those nights if you want to give it a whirl. Mine's a Gen 4 with everything stock except for the sights(not for sale, but if we meet in person, i might know a guy).

Back
Top Bottom