• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GF looking for her first pistol

DarthRevan

NES Member
Hey folks,
I was hoping to find a kindhearted individual who has a variety of smallish 9mm handguns they'd be willing to let my lady try out.
She's not against full size guns but she doesn't want to manipulate a safety like a Beretta 92.
Ideally I'm thinking:
M&P shield or 9/9c
G26/19
Ruger SR9/9c
Open to other options as well but seeing as we're both in college money is tight so probably not a Sig or HK

It's decided: G19 Gen 4, we picked it up today from a guy I know who knows a few other guys.

Last edited:
Danvers is a long drive for me or i would definitely offer. But, I got an SR9 as my first purchase and would recommend it. Weight and size were the deciding factors as I'm a smaller framed person - it was easier to handle. Haven't handled many handgun but I can say I do like the finish and feel it's quality.

It's really going to depend on her hands. Also, have her shop holster options first. A CC piece is kind of personal, and part of a whole "kit". Dudes IWB holsters don't always cut it for women, because hips/clothing styles differ. Make sure it will be comfy in the setup(as junk on the back of the firearm can dig into you if holstered certain ways.)

If you're willing to take a ride to Harvard Sportsmen's Club, I'll bring the following:

- Glock 26
- Glock 19
- Kahr K9
- Kahr PM9
- SIG 239 9MM
- CZ 75-B

If you're willing to take a ride to Harvard Sportsmen's Club, I'll bring the following:

- Glock 26
- Glock 19
- Kahr K9
- Kahr PM9
- SIG 239 9MM
- CZ 75-B

I'd be happy to meet you both there with

Glock 17
Glock 34
Kahr P9
Ruger SR9 (modified trigger)
Ruger SR9C (stock)
Dan Wesson Pointman 9, 9mm 1911

To the OP - you said that you weren't against a full sized gun, but didn't want a manual safety. I don't know how made that jump. There are plenty of full sized guns like the G34, 17, Ruger SR9, M&P 9.

All of the full sized guns, will shoot flatter with less recoil and better accuracy than their smaller stablemates. (G19, G26, SR9C, M&P9C)

The sole exception to this might be the SR9. The standard sized gun has a terrible trigger that requires a new connector to be decent, and even then its not great. The SR9C has one of the best out of the box striker fired triggers there is. I don't know why. But that is how it is.

Questions:
1) Does she have a .22?
2) what is her experience level?
3) what are her goals? If she wants to get proficient and has never shot much before, you will be doing her a great disservice by introducing her right into a 9mm. I can guarantee that unless you limit yourself to very short shooting sessions, she will develop a flinch or a push. In this case a .22 is how you start.

If you just want to get her proficient enough so she can send lead down range at a bad guy in the home, then starting with a soft recoiling 9mm is fine.

Everyone should have a .22. If you decide on a glock, consider a .22 conversion for it. Yes the conversion costs almost as much as a decent .22 handgun. (About $300) But she will gain familiarity and skill with a centerfire gun, at rimfire prices.

Don

Last edited:
If you come to the Spring Trigger Breakout I will have a Glock 26, 19, 17, Sig P226, and possibly a Sig P238. You would be welcome to try them provided you supply the ammo, of course.

Hey folks,
I was hoping to find a kindhearted individual who has a variety of smallish 9mm handguns they'd be willing to let my lady try out.
She's not against full size guns but she doesn't want to manipulate a safety like a Beretta 92.
Ideally I'm thinking:
M&P shield or 9/9c
G26/19
Ruger SR9/9c
Open to other options as well but seeing as we're both in college money is tight so probably not a Sig or HK

If the cash is a real constraint (and it must be, because there are tons of used sigs and HKs floating around for not much more than the rest of those guns cost) and you want to have money left over for ammo, finding a non-gay (non mass) M&P shield is probably the best way to go. The guns are pretty cheap to begin with and they shoot well enough.

For whatever its worth if she wants she can try out a G42, G26, G19, G17, G34... Just get non shitty ammo and I'll bring the guns wherever. Saturday morning would work well because I have a buddy of mine that has a pizza joint in Danvers and I can get something to eat after. PM me
if this interests you. Honestly sounds like Don has better arsenal than I do, though, I'd talk to him first. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
If the cash is a real constraint (and it must be, because there are tons of used sigs and HKs floating around for not much more than the rest of those guns cost) and you want to have money left over for ammo, finding a non-gay (non mass) M&P shield is probably the best way to go. The guns are pretty cheap to begin with and they shoot well enough.

For whatever its worth if she wants she can try out a G42, G26, G19, G17, G34... Just get non shitty ammo and I'll bring the guns wherever. Saturday morning would work well because I have a buddy of mine that has a pizza joint in Danvers and I can get something to eat after. PM me
if this interests you. Honestly sounds like Don has better arsenal than I do, though, I'd talk to him first. [laugh]

-Mike

Mike - I think they're complementary. She can try the M&P
She can also feel the difference in weight and recoil between the steel Kahr K9 and the P9 as well as the PM9.
The K9 is sweet. I had a Wilson Combat K9 that was an amazing shooter. I sold it when I bought the P9 Covert. (remember that one? PM9 grip length with P9 slide)

Don

Mrs Wicked1911 prefers to shoot .38 special out of her 686+, doesn't get any simpler than a revolver. Let her try one she might be surprised how much she likes it.

I've got a Sig P938 & S&W 686 she can shoot at Andover Sportmens Club. I also have an HK45C she can try as well. I know they're not on your list but I would not let $$$ stand in the way if the gun feels right and she's comfortable with it.

All I've got on your list to try is a G19. If you'd like to try it out, I can meet at danvers most days/evenings.

Sent from the dark side.

To the OP.

Why not something like a G17?

Is the gun going to serve double duty as a carry piece?

Ideally, it has to be easily carried. Be it a purse gun, or somewhere else. I think a Glock will be her best over all bet for the money and easily found accessories. Mags make me cry though

Shield 9mm
Glock 43
Ruger LC9s
Sig P938
Walther CCP

these are the ones I would suggest she try. MFL has the Shield, Sig and the Ruger in for rental and they should be getting the 43 in soon. But if you can find people with them that you can arrange for her to shoot side by side that would be cheaper.

To the OP.

Why not something like a G17?

Is the gun going to serve double duty as a carry piece?

I went G19 just based on the general women are smaller and have a hard time concealing. The OP is from MA, so it's a more higher level consideration than if it were CT, NH or VT.

I held off recommending the Sig P938 based on the statement the GF didn't want a safety, which I think rules out any 1911 style guns. Plus the P938 is not IMO a nice gun to shoot. It's very snappy on the wrist because of it's size and weight.

Shield 9mm
Glock 43
Ruger LC9s
Sig P938
Walther CCP

these are the ones I would suggest she try. MFL has the Shield, Sig and the Ruger in for rental and they should be getting the 43 in soon. But if you can find people with them that you can arrange for her to shoot side by side that would be cheaper.
Good list but I wouldn't want the sig in there,,Just my opinion. The ccp actually is a great small pistol and in hand feels really good. I may be heading up to MFL sat or sunday night if you want to try the 43 PennyPincher and or QueenBee

Last edited:
I went G19 just based on the general women are smaller and have a hard time concealing. The OP is from MA, so it's a more higher level consideration than if it were CT, NH or VT.

I held off recommending the Sig P938 based on the statement the GF didn't want a safety, which I think rules out any 1911 style guns. Plus the P938 is not IMO a nice gun to shoot. It's very snappy on the wrist because of it's size and weight.

The 17 only weighs a couple more ounces than a 19. I mention this because most women want to carry off body. If its going in a purse or bag, then what's the difference? Better to have a gun optimized for actually shooting.

If she's carrying on-body (much preferred) then she'll probably want something smaller than a 19.

Its funny. I'm of the opinion that the G19 is teh best overall pistol on the planet. But I rarely use mine. I usually carry the 26 and shoot the 17 or the 34. But if I could only have one. It would be the 19.

Back
Top Bottom