Gewehr 98

Sweeney

NES Member
I picked up a 1917 Amberg Gewehr 98 with all matching numbers. Upon disassembly I found the firing pin was broken.

I trimmed it square, drilled a 0.125" hole 0.375" deep and selected a sacrificial drill bit which I silver soldered in.

I then shaped the new pin into shape and set the protrusion at 0.065"...the high end of spec.

The rest of the bits are getting a bit of electrolysis to knock off the heavier rust.

The stock has been cleaned and oiled and If I can find some 8mm I hope to test it out soon.

Last edited:
The stock has been cleaned and oiled and If I can find some 8mm I hope to test it out soon.

The tip was probably snipped on purpose when brought back for a bond tour.

The tip of my matching 1916 Danzig broke when shooting. I put in my parts box and ordered a replacement whose SN '33' was close to the original of '88' - if you squint.

If you're interested in 8mm, I can trade ammo if you'd care to fix the tip of my pin - I can provide the sacrificial drill but. I do not have the experience or equipment to do what you did.

Well done.

T.

Last edited:
Nice repair job!

On another note, I have a friend looking for a 1914 - 1918 #'s matching GEW. Let me know if you stumble on one (or know of another).

The tip was probably snipped on purpose when brought back for a bond tour.

The tip of my matching 1916 Danzig broke when shooting. I put in my parts box and ordered a replacement whose SN '33' was close to the original of '88' - if you squint.

If you're interested in 8mm, I can trade ammo if you'd care to fix the tip of my pin - I can provide the sacrificial drill but. I do not have the experience or equipment to do what you did.

I would need your bolt so I could set the pin protrusion but sure, I'd trade for some ammo. PM me and we can go from there.

Well done.

T.

This one was snapped off. I found the tip mired in the goo inside the ejector. I can't quite figure out how it happened as it was clearly bent. I can see if someone tried breaking down the firing pin/cocking piece improperly, but, how did the tip end up where it did...

- - - Updated - - -

If you care to meet me between the Gardner / Holden area I have at least 30 rounds of 8mm you can have for free.... It is milsurp, and it is corrosive, but it is free

Thanks! We'll have to figure out when/where. Holden is easiest for me but then, I'm not the one being generous [wink]

Tough to find in a normal gun store; I've bought the two I've found in 20+ years. Still have one of them; traded the other to fund my M17.

T.

Here it is all cleaned, lubed and assembled. I used an electrolysis bath to eradicate what rust there was and gave the stock a couple coats of of BLO that I cut with naptha...she was very thirsty. It still has that 'been there, done that' look without being cruddy and rusty. I think I need to find a 'butcher blade' for it. The sling is a repro...new leather, vintage hardware.

Tough to find in a normal gun store; I've bought the two I've found in 20+ years. Still have one of them; traded the other to fund my M17.

T.

They're tough to find online too... I've been looking intermittently for ~ 2 months.

Have fun with it; I love my two - 1916 Danzig and 1916 V. Chr. Schilling 98M Banschutz marked (railway police). Be sure to give us a range report. Also remember the minimum distance on the Lange sight is 400M. Aim at the bottom of an SR-1 target at 100 yards.

T.

Back
Top Bottom