• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gewehr 98 collapsing stock...

Sweeney

NES Member
...but not intended.
My matched G98 has a broken stock. It broke at the weakest point where there is little wood.

I glued it once with Gorilla Glue but after a few shots it came apart due to the integrity of the wood.
It is now undergoing surgery after mulling it over and devising a plan. I settle on boring out the mating ends of the stock and fitting a dowel. I'll be using Acra 20 epoxy for bonding.

The first order of business was to get the holes in the right position and attitude. I centered the holes on the bore for the cleaning rod, clamping the stock bits to the table of my Bridgeport. A 6mm socket head cap screw was used in the cleaning rod bore to center the victim... um... patient.

A right angle plate took care of alignment front to back. I ran an indicator down the sides of the barrel channel to align side to side.

I used a 0.625" end mill to bore the holes. This size would not perforate the exterior and the dowel is just big enough to accommodate the cleaning rod nut leaving about 0.125" of material on the sides and top.

When done the repair will be invisible as the 'seam' is hidden under the band. Once epoxied I'll mill the mortise for the cleaning rod nut then see how it holds up.

Last edited:
I finally got around to finishing this little project after waiting for supplies to arrive (which I forgot to order).

I machined an aluminum dowel to use instead of the wood as i wasn't convinced the wood would be strong enough after the mortise for the cleaning rod nut was cut. I epoxied it together after soaking the ends in acetone to remove old glue and oil.

Just after the strap clamp was removed and excess epoxy cut away;

Stock re-oiled and the mortise milled;

The repair after reassembly of the rifle;

In all its glory;

Next is to see if it holds up to some firing. I'm confident it will... Damn, I hope it does...

Not sure what epoxy you used but Brownells stock bedding epoxy has worked in the past for me very well on repairs from shotgun stocks to rife stocks. (garand.for example) one thing you can do with any epoxy is mix in some sawdust from the stock you are repairing to help match it. they also include a dye to use. Nice work BTW.

Thanks, Wildweasel.

I used Acraglas 20 to bond the stock...choosing the lower viscosity to insure good wetting of all surfaces. there was no missing material at the break so no filling was needed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom