Getting warranty work on a gun.... I got a question ?

DosesR1

NES Member
Bought a brand new HK vp9 from Four seasons ran Into a problem with the trigger the other day (.. I have yet to fire it ) I figured I’d give hk a call to see what I could do fix it and they want me to mail it in the guy sent me a pre paid slip to send it back... do I just send a gun specifically a pistol in the mail?

Bought a brand new HK vp9 from Four seasons ran Into a problem with the trigger the other day (.. I have yet to fire it ) I figured I’d give hk a call to see what I could do fix it and they want me to mail it in the guy sent me a pre paid slip to send it back... do I just send a gun specifically a pistol in the mail?

Call them and they will tell you what to do and they will likely assign an RMA#.

Bob

If they sent a prepaid label then it is their preferred way . . .

It is legal to send your pistol this way because the "shipper" is HK. They are the authority for the shipment. All the major manufacturers do it this way.

mail?? is the pre-paid shipping label for usps? i'm thinking no, it's either fedex or ups. but i've been wrong before.

If they sent a prepaid label then it is their preferred way . . .

It is legal to send your pistol this way because the "shipper" is HK. They are the authority for the shipment. All the major manufacturers do it this way.
I didn’t wanna ship it and get in all kinds of trouble

Not "in the mail". The slip should be for Fedex or UPS. You can ship a firearm directly to the manufacturer for repair, and they can ship it back to you. This isn't anecdotal - I've shipped rifles to a gunsmith, and a shotgun to Mossberg.

The obvious - unloaded, and not all Fedex sites will ship it. Call them first to make sure they'll handle it. The pack and play won't. I had to go to a major facility. But there are plenty of them around.

Not "in the mail". The slip should be for Fedex or UPS. You can ship a firearm directly to the manufacturer for repair, and they can ship it back to you. This isn't anecdotal - I've shipped rifles to a gunsmith, and a shotgun to Mossberg.

The obvious - unloaded, and not all Fedex sites will ship it. Call them first to make sure they'll handle it. The pack and play won't. I had to go to a major facility. But there are plenty of them around.
Any specific things need to be done to it before I box it up ? Lock it ? Take slide off the frame?

I had one handgun shipped back to me from EGW....actually a stupidly expensive one, and was told I would have to pick it up at the UPS depot. I walked in off the street and there it was sitting right there out on the counter, all by itself. Nobody around though. No-one. I had to go out back where the trucks were to get somebody who had to get somebody so I could sign for it. I wonder how long it had been sitting there.

Another came back from Smith, and when the driver looked at her manifest it was identified as a handgun. She got totally flustered, asked me if I realized it was a handgun, and had to make a call to her supervisor before she would let me have it.

Never fired it first time I’ve ever done some thing like this sorry if I’m getting annoying :(
Lol, you're fine:) Better to ask a question and get cr@p than to NOT ask and get arrested. NES is very much a "Live and learn" place. Some folks here believe in tough love, and I mean TOUGH. Unload the gun, put it in the original tupperware (or box, or plastic baggie) that it came in, put that in a plain brown box, put padding (an old t-shirt, newspapers, whatever) and seal it. Take the box and shipping label to a Fed-Ex DEPOT, not a store, they won't touch it. Hand it to the person at the counter ("Yes, it's a gun. Yes, it's going to the mfr. Yes, it's unloaded") let them put the label on. Get a receipt, walk out the door. Go home, wait for them to tell you it's on the way back, probably "Signature required".

Oh, and buy bandaids for the bruising you're gonna get around here:)

Never fired it first time I’ve ever done some thing like this sorry if I’m getting annoying :(
I sent a gun to Ruger last week. I brought it to the ups ups store unloaded and in a soft sided handgun case. Walked to the counter and gave them the address...sturm Ruger Newport nh......she said $6 to box it up and $21 for shipping. She asked what I was shipping I told her parts for repair. All set.

Dont go crazy thinking about it. Totally legal to ship to a manufacturer with FedEx or ups

Just sent a firearm to Springfield for warranty work. They sent me a prepaid label for FedEx and told me exactly what to put in the box. I had to bring the package to either a FedEx hub or drop center(Walgreens). It's actually on its way back to me now.

I sent a gun to Ruger last week. I brought it to the ups ups store unloaded and in a soft sided handgun case. Walked to the counter and gave them the address...sturm Ruger Newport nh......she said $6 to box it up and $21 for shipping. She asked what I was shipping I told her parts for repair. All set.

Dont go crazy thinking about it. Totally legal to ship to a manufacturer with FedEx or ups
The UPS store that did that probably violated policy, state and federal law. I am not certain but I think that UPS stores do not have common carrier status which is what allows shippers to be in a Schrodinger state with shipments, currently possessing the shipment and not possessing it.

The UPS store that did that probably violated policy, state and federal law. I am not certain but I think that UPS stores do not have common carrier status which is what allows shippers to be in a Schrodinger state with shipments, currently possessing the shipment and not possessing it.
Please quote the state and federal laws that were broken. I'm not privy to all those laws.

On the phone with Ruger customer service the rep told me to send it to them ups or FedEx.....I said ok.....and then I did.

Not sure what else to do other than follow the instructions that I was given from the customer service rep of the largest gun manufacturer in the country. I assumed they know what their talking about.

Please quote the state and federal laws that were broken. I'm not privy to all those laws
For state - Transfer of a firearm to an unlicensed person (lacking common carrier status, the clerk lacks the ability to possess prohibited items and not be in possession)

Federally - Acting as a dealer or gunsmith accepting a gun and arranging service for it. You cannot legally take your friends gun, service it, and then have a third party ship it back to him unless you are fed licensed gunsmith (and even then, you have to do the return/transfer on your books). Once again, the lack of common carrier status is the issue.

Company policy - UPS has a policy for EVERYTHING. Even which way the teeth on keys are to point when approaching the package car and which foot goes on the step first. I would expect a "no guns at UPS store" policy, but have not confirmed this.

Last edited:
You are correct. The stores are a different union (and I think most are franchises), so they aren't UPS/FedEx common carrier employees (which are indeed protected under Federal law).

For state - Transfer of a firearm to an unlicensed person (lacking common carrier status, the clerk lacks the ability to possess prohibited items and not be in possession)

Federally - Acting as a dealer or gunsmith accepting a gun and arranging service for it. You cannot legally take your friends gun, service it, and then have a third party ship it back to him unless you are fed licensed gunsmith (and even then, you have to do the return/transfer on your books). Once again, the lack of common carrier status is the issue.

Company policy - UPS has a policy for EVERYTHING. Even which way the teeth on keys are to point when approaching the package car and which foot goes on the step first. I would expect a "no guns at UPS store" policy, but have not confirmed this.
Here's a nit picky question

Gun was dropped off at ups and delivered both in New Hampshire so.....no state lines crossed. No Iicense needed to possess in the first place.

In any rate......gun got there.

I'll check into ups policy next time I have to ship. But I'm my defense the Ruger rep just said ship it ups or FedEx not USPS and that was all.

Now i know how to send my lc9s to ruger lol. Both of my lc9s have problems, one like to stovepipe and the other like to lock the slide back, they better fix it .

Now i know how to send my lc9s to ruger lol. Both of my lc9s have problems, one like to stovepipe and the other like to lock the slide back, they better fix it .
Call them first. If the gun is under a year old they will send you a shipping label. If it's over a year old you'll have to pay to ship it there.

Either way call first .....they will give you an ra (return authorization) number. When you pack it up just leave a note inside with the ra and your info and a description of what's wrong.

Ruger will.take care of it. I just sent back a 7 year old sp101 that I've shot weekly for all 7 years that had a shot out forcing cone and they are going to take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom