Getting to Boston from Western MA during rush hour

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi gang,
It’s been years since I’ve had to be in Boston during work hours so I’m looking for some suggestions from folks who have recent/current experience. I need to be in the financial district from 9am to 1pm. I’m coming from Amherst MA.

Do I drive to Worcester and take the commuter rail in or just drive in and park? Cost difference doesn’t matter as work is picking it up. I’m just looking at it taking 2.5 total hours if I go the train route and wondering if it’s worth it (an hour to the train station then 1.5 hours on the train).

Thanks in advance!

johnnymac101

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just drive backwards, you'll get there quicker!
Talk to me about traffic... it takes me 40 minutes just to get a mile and a half through Somerville!

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I made a trip from Amherst to just beyond the Riverside station today.

Left at 9:06 and past the Riverside exit on 95 at about 10:30. Took the Mass Pike from Palmer. Keep in mind the detour in the area by the Church street bridge I thinks it's called.

I was a safe and alert driver with a reliable car.

Keep in mind that rush hour was over by the time I got there.

If you arrive at the Riverside station (they have parking by kiosk or online). You can buy a spot online for the whole day for only $6. It can be paid for at midnight for the next day. You can just pay at the station though.

Trains run ever 6 minutes or so for rush hour on the green line into government center. It will take about 45 minutes by train to Park Street. That was the route I took to the State House for the hearing.

It's really 50/50 if it's worth it.

During the drive you can stop to pee on the Mass Pike. Not sure but there might be places to pee at Riverside.
I drink a lot so I'm not about to have breakfast and hold it for 4 hours.

You'll pay a lot for parking in the city but you'll have your car nearby.

I wanted an adventure and to do people watching and have fun riding on a train so I opted to take the train from Riverside.

You may want to carry a small back pack with city essentials. I brought a phone cord and power pack, a snack, and water in the event of a disaster.

If there was a disaster in the city, I would have had to walk all the way back to Riverside which may have take many many hours.

If you had your car in Boston during a disaster, you could be stuck in traffic for many many hours.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
you're gonna find out why jane swift was commandeering a state police chopper for her commute.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I took the train from Pittsfield once. It was 7 hours late getting into Pittsfield from just over the mountain in NY, but then a cool couple hour ride into downtown Boston at 3AM.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took the train from Pittsfield once. It was 7 hours late getting into Pittsfield from just over the mountain in NY, but then a cool couple hour ride into downtown Boston at 3AM.
Wow, just wow! This, and the 45 minutes from "Riverside", which is at least half way to the city for me. You'd think in this age of "bullet trains", that we should do better. On the green line, you can actually watch light bulbs (and rats) go by outside the "train" window at about walking speed. You'd think they could make it so it would get there in 10 minutes. Why don't they do every other one skip some stops, for a more express route?

RKG

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I live in Arlington and do not go into Boston, you'd think I'm pretty much unqualified to offer an opinion.

Regrettably, though, that doesn't stop me.

I think if I were in the OP's shoes, I'd drive Route 2 to somewhere in or near Acton, take the commuter rail into North Station, and walk from there to State Street or wherever.

As others have noted, the drive into Boston on the Pike in an excercise in terminal frustration. Unfortunately, eastbound on Route 2 in the morning anywhere east of Acton is just as bad. Ditto 228, either direction from about Route 3 through the Pike. Which pretty much eliminates the alternatives.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Wow, just wow! This, and the 45 minutes from "Riverside", which is at least half way to the city for me. You'd think in this age of "bullet trains", that we should do better. On the green line, you can actually watch light bulbs (and rats) go by outside the "train" window at about walking speed. You'd think they could make it so it would get there in 10 minutes. Why don't they do every other one skip some stops, for a more express route?
The T from Riverside is light rail. That means it is a trolley that has on-grade crossings and has stations that are very close together. High speed rail can’t have grade crossings and it can’t have stops that are close together.

Also, high speed rail requires long straight runs and very gentle curves. We don’t have high speed rail because it requires taking land by eminent domain in order to get the long, straight right of way. None of our politicians have the courage or political capital to do that. Taking land by eminent domain would cost billions and take 10 years of litigation.

Finally, you pretty much can’t have express trains in the Green Line. The Green Line has very frequent service, only two tracks, and few crossovers between tracks. There is no way for an express train to pass a local train on the Green Line.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Hi gang,
It’s been years since I’ve had to be in Boston during work hours so I’m looking for some suggestions from folks who have recent/current experience. I need to be in the financial district from 9am to 1pm. I’m coming from Amherst MA.

Do I drive to Worcester and take the commuter rail in or just drive in and park? Cost difference doesn’t matter as work is picking it up. I’m just looking at it taking 2.5 total hours if I go the train route and wondering if it’s worth it (an hour to the train station then 1.5 hours on the train).

Thanks in advance!
Holy Crap...

This is NOT a one day affair???

You plan on doing this every day for a job???

:eek:

You'd make more money bagging at S&S and keep you sanity rather than commuting.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Finally, you pretty much can’t have express trains in the Green Line. The Green Line has very frequent service, only two tracks, and few crossovers between tracks. There is no way for an express train to pass a local train on the Green Line.
They run "express" trains on the Green Line. They just skip stops.

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Holy Crap...

This is NOT a one day affair???

You plan on doing this every day for a job???

:eek:

You'd make more money bagging at S&S and keep you sanity rather than commuting.
Nah, just some-day big meeting thing. Definitely not every day.

Thanks for all the opinions/laughs. Probably my favorite was the feta Tesla and just sleep on the way in. Ended up leaving at 5:50am and getting there at 7:55, then doing some work in the office as I waited.

Not nearly as bad as I feared, only added about 20-30 minutes to the non-rush hour commute time. Definitely would no want to make it a regular thing as I feel like I lucked out with just 2 big slowdowns rather than a slog the whole way in.

Top Bottom