• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting the most out of a gun show ...

I'd love to find several threads on how you decide on which gun show(s) to attend and in what states, and how best to prepare yourself (a wad of cash?) for maximum discounts. I understand that some states (Florida?) are much more gun show friendly than others. I know that used guns can be much cheaper than new ones, but also that it's much easier to get burned on a used gun purchase. TIA.

If you're looking for a maximum discount, and are in a different part of the country, keep an eye out for items that are not popular where the show is, but are popular wherever home is.

As an example, I know a guy who got a great deal on a Weatherby rifle in .340 - because he found it in MA. Not a lot of demand for 340 Weatherby rifles in MA.....but there is a demand in MA for preban rifles, which in other states just means "old rifle". You're gonna need to have current values down cold - which usually means concentrating on a couple of classes of gun, not everything you see. You need to know the used market to minimize your burn risk.

Dealers at gun shows still own their inventory for the price they owned it for at the shop; they're there to make money, not take a loss.

If you know what you want, and know its "real" value, then you may get a deal. And remember, it's not the deal you get, it's the deal you think you get. If you're happy, be happy. I've sold stuff at gun shows, and the buyer and I BOTH did the Happy Dance. [laugh] Both because I sold stuff for what I thought was a cheap price just to get rid of crap I didn't need, and because I didn't care if I sold it, and put a sky-high +10% price on it, and it got jumped on with "Oh my god, I NEED that."

Dealers at gun shows still own their inventory for the price they owned it for at the shop; they're there to make money, not take a loss.
This is what I'm thinking too.

Today I picked up my new Sig Sauer P224 Extreme, (224-40-XTM-BLKGRY). 40S&W, Nitron, SigLite Night Sights, DA/SA, SRT, Hogue G10 piranha grips, for $647 delivered. I really shopped it to get that price, which is hundreds less than some well known internet vendors offer for the same gun.

I can't see that gun going for less at a gun show, as I'm assuming that you'd end up paying whatever state sales tax applied, plus travel costs, along with the cost of admission to the show.

I guess that the best outcome for a newbie at a gun show is to look, touch and not do much buying!

The shows I went to last year saw Full Retard pricing on Ammo,(.22 in particular), and Reloading Stuff. I walked out of a couple of them empty-handed. Now that shelves are filling up again, it will be interesting to see how prices shape up now that the season is firing up. I predict .22 Ammo to be at Full Retard levels all through the rest of the year. Based on what I have been seeing on Gun Broker, things are getting better on the reloading tools, but components are still high. An advance note to Vendors: THOSE SHITTY,CRUSTY, NASTY ROUNDS OF OLD AMMO ARE NOT WORTH ANY MORE NOW THAN WHEN YOU DRUG THEM OUT OF THE VENUE IN APRIL!! MAYBE WAKE UP AND REALIZE THAT AMMOGEDDON HAS PASSED!!

I find that if you show up at the beginning, you have a good shot at "pre-ban" magazines and that 1 or 2 great pistol buys out there. Last time I went to a show in EB, I got a Russian Makarov for 250, which is low nowadays even in free states. Other than that gun, which I bought like a flash of lightening, the guns were (and typically are) overpriced (handguns anyway). Just my 2 cents. Some milsurp ammo prices can be good - like 7.62x54r- depending. Try to have a good idea of what a "good" price is on what you are looking for prior to going to the show.

I find that the best way to get the most out of a gun show is to not go. Unless you are interested in crappy Nazi memorabilia and beef jerky, I don't see the point of attending gun shows in MA. They suck.

I'd love to find several threads on how you decide on which gun show(s) to attend and in what states, and how best to prepare yourself (a wad of cash?) for maximum discounts. I understand that some states (Florida?) are much more gun show friendly than others. I know that used guns can be much cheaper than new ones, but also that it's much easier to get burned on a used gun purchase. TIA.
I'm mainly a collector and I go to the shows in MA looking for specific items (mostly used) and to see what dealers carry what and how their prices are. Don't do much buying at the shows. Mostly, it's an educational and pricing thing for me. If there is something I want to buy, that usually comes later.

Collectors of modern (non-C&R) firearms in MA are severely limited by the "lists." We can't just do GB and a transfer when we want to buy something pre-list. And it would take a lot of running around MA to see what I can see and possibly buy (or buy later) at one show.

In the free states, I imagine it is a whole different thing. Folks aren't selling in a severely limited and restricted market. You aren't being held hostage. You don't like the prices at the show for something new, old or relatively rare... you can always go to GB and transfer. That's a luxury we PRM collectors can only dream about.

I make a want list and research the prices before I go. That way, I'm ready to jump on a deal if I see it. If you go out of state, make sure you have a Mass FFL lined up and he is ok with transferring what you want to buy.

I go to shows when I can, I have a set list of items and a range I want to pay.
Cash still talks a little at shows.... last plymouth show I went to vendor wanted 35$ each for 20rnd USGI AR mags.... I basically put 8 mags on the table and 100$ not a word spoken...done deal. Other than that a gun show for me is just that a show.

If an item doesn't have a price on it assume it is not for sale.
One of a kind items at great prices will not be there at closing on the second day. If you are looking for something hard to find you have to be in the front of the line when it opens.
Wear comfortable shoes and pants that stay up with stuff in the pockets(because it is hard to carry things in your hands and pull your britches up in a crowd...trust me!)
Bring a back pack to carry stuff but not one that is 2 feet thick.
Looking over someone's shoulder and saying, "Oh look she's showing her tits again." only works once or twice to get someone away from a table so you can look at something that they are blocking you from. It works well on women too BTW.
Leave your cell phone in the car!
If you are going to have a lengthy reunion with some buddies you haven't seen in a while get out of the narrow isles and go grab a coffee and a table.

I've been going to gun shows all around New England since the mid 1980's. My father (8/11/39 - 6/15/13 R.I.P.) was a well-known vendor and a lot of you older guys have no doubt taken a look at his tables at some point. He started taking me with him when I was about 6 years old. I've been to a lot of friggin' gun shows and I can tell you it just isn't like it used to be. The prices are insane (for the most part), the crowds are horrendous, the *******s are plentiful. I still go once in a great while but that's usually only when a buddy who's never been to one before wants to go and needs someone there with them to make sure they don't get screwed. Other than that, I don't bother anymore. You're better off shopping online.

If you want to see a real gun show, go to one in Texas, it's great. Check out the dealers with used Glocks (by the ton) and get yourself one that's pre-ban in Mass. Have it shipped to a dealer that'll accept it here in Mass, save a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom