• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting started w/ reloading

As a general rule I don’t let anyone else shoot my reloads. Had a couple of squib rounds over the years, I was lucky on one and recognized the other before shooting again.
I’m glad it was me not someone else shooting.

Its about time people know this

also when it comes to chinese factories its all depends on the quality of the quality control
Not only Chinese Factories. Even stuff made here like John Deere etc sold at Home Depot, Lowes, etc is not the same quality as same things sold in factory stores. they have Big Box grade so the big boxes can sell cheaper.

Then sell your left AND right kidneys searching for primers.

My first batch of 9mm :)
Berry's QD500 tumbler, Lizard Litter(Amz) and a little Flitz or NuFinish.
HarborFreight has coarse and fine walnut for $28/25lb

I dont know why the Berry's tumbler is not more popular (vs the FA/Lyman/etc).
Very quiet, *removable* bowl, extra bowl & on/off switch.

The only 'problem' was that the Flitz kind of turned into chunks in the bowl and I needed to basically
rub my hands together to break it all up. Should have had the bowl vibrating when I added it?
The stuff on the left was the very first and tumbled maybe 2h? Definitely shinier than the right side (45min)
but really, don't care about that.

IMG_8282.JPG

Last edited:
You’re lucky, They got all kinds of new amazing stuff on the market now.

My only advice is read everything you can. All comes down to hands-on experience.
I did attend a reloading course once. After I had already been reloading. I didn’t find it especially useful.

Basically all you Gotta do is use the right powder/charge and primer..With the right projectile and overall all length....

You get all this right from the powder manufacturer. Get yourself a highlighter, Highlight what you wanna do and go to town....Whatever equipment you decide on is really irrelevant.

I also wanted to mention if you buy something like a Dillion progressive with the caliber and everything....They pretty much got it all set up for you already just may need slight adjustment. The one I bought for pistol ammo made ammo out of the box, One of my other ones arrive damaged. But was basically nothing to fix it no problem

When I got my 750 last month, it was hard enough to find one in stock and the caliber kit was not 'pre-installed' so I'm having to set up/change out everything.

I can easily see, depending on the user's mechanical skill, the progressive could be a lot of info to take in vs. single or turret.

I started back last winter & the Gavintube/Ultimate reloader channel has been helpful. Although he can get really technical fast. Other than him I just did a lot of reading & scouring for any youtube videos.

I will say that when buying a press I just wanted to try a single stage as it was the cheapest option & didn't know if this is something i'd really get into. The guy at Shooters Outpost convinced me to get a turret press, and it was the best decision I made as you'll quickly wish you had something more than just the single stage once you really get going with pistol calibers.

I’d argue that single stage press is more prone to operator error...The more human hands handle something the more chances of you actually screwing something up

But I’ll try not to take this Further up topic. The op wanted advice about reloading not equipment but they do go hand-in-hand..

With any reloading manual, manual from your powder manufacturer, the directions that come with your press and YouTube.

Reloading may be easier than putting together IKEA furniture😀

Agreed, I can't imagine how boring using SingleStage for loading hundreds of 9mm would be but certainly a consideration for using a turret for banging out 'test' loads or during development.

Also single stage for rifle depending on what you’re doing may be the way to go.

For your standard nine or 45 he be crazy not to get a turret

Let’s be honest by the time he’s done he’ll have a single stage, a Turret and a progressive...And separate tool heads for each caliber so he doesn’t even have to make adjustments

Isn't that like taking a Driver's Ed class after you've had your license for a while?

Well, it is and it aint.
Equipment changes, powder changes, new this on the market, new that in production. You'll forget stuff, find a new way to do stuff.
Think of it more as continuing education. Basics are always the same, process might change.

Frankly, I'm a BIG believer in required after-the-fact additional driver's ed.

Once you've been driving a while, you can learn to, you know, actually drive *well* and drive
less of mass-holey.

Back
Top Bottom