• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting started w/ reloading

walter62

NES Member
Can you experienced guys suggest/recommend books/videos/YouTube etc as to how
to get started w/ reloading? Mostly interested in pistol size 9mm, 45, etc etc.

I'm aware that some components (primers) are very hard to get but regardless,
I want to start down that road.

Suggestions welcome!

Suggestions welcome!
Vids and some info in the sticky section of this forum-

If you are only interested in pistol then a progressive is actually a decent choice as a first press - just use it as a single stage.

"buy once, cry once" - you don't need to buy the most expensive press to get a usable unit. Yes, Lee has its issues but for the price the newer versions work very well. All presses need some technical/mechanical knowledge to setup and run.

Harbor Frieght calipers roll off the same line as most of the reloading brands units - $15 at the HF is fine.

A cheap Lee scale works but is a pain to use - I printed a vernier to show .2g changes to make it easier. Get a milligram digital scale on amazon for $20-$25. Again a lot of the reloading specific scales (low end) are the same as ones on amazon for 1/3 the price. Don't rely on any digital scale under a few hundred - use it to get the charge close and verify with a beam scale.

I would suggest 45 over 9 to start - even using jacketed 45 is more forgiving (9 can get fussy with cast bullets)

Im not a super high volume shooter

Ive gotten by with A cheap Lee press and dies for my single stage rifle needs. Its plenty good to make accurate ammo for bolt action shooting. Its good to learn on.
I upgraded to an automatic powder scale to speed the process

Auto Pistol or high volume. Just get a decent progressive like a Dillon.
I have a LNL and its fine for the lower volume I shoot. It will last me a lifetime

One spot left:

EDIT: No spots left, but I opened a June class - same link.

Last edited:
Should also point out, now is a terrible time to get into reloading. Some of the better equipment is hard to come by, primers are at an all time premium, bullets are hard to source too, and the brass rats are scrounging the shit out of brass.

Heres some stuff

Lee Precision 1st addition is free also
Plenty of useful info

Sierra reloading manual 6.0 is available free as a app

posted some reloading packages recently

press , and enough stuff to load 500 rounds

Last edited:

Very dissatisfied​

Harbor Frieght calipers roll off the same line as most of the reloading brands units - $15 at the HF is fine.
Nossofast. I have this bad boy:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-digital-caliper-63711.html(SKU: 47257)
Before I bought it some years ago, I read all the customer reviews
(I'm sure there weren't over 1,100 of them at the time).
There was a significant thread of "loses calibration just moving the jaws";
an example I'm cherry-picking now (written well after I bought it):

Very dissatisfied​
David​
August 28, 2018​
This product did not work correctly. Turned calipers on and made sure they were in the closed position. Zeroed the readout. Opened the jaws about 50mm and closed the jaws. Readout registered 4.5mm. Opened and closed again and the readout increase to 10.2mm. Zeroed again, opened jaws again, closed again, still not at zero. I don't know how you can even sell these as calipers.​

[shocked]

OTOH, there was a minority theme of people saying,
"This is the second one I've bought, and the old one didn't suck like this.
Pray you get one of the old ones, from the factory that's not turning out crap".

I haven't had any of the standard complaints,
but I think of that prayer every time I use it the calipers
(not for anything mission-critical like measuring ammo).

The ones you pay three times as much for on reloading sites may indeed be
churned out by one of the same ChiCom factories supplying Harbor Freight.
But you don't know whether it's a good factory or a bad factory.
CzghXpUXUAAb5wq.jpg

Suggestions welcome!
It's been said before, but worth repeating. Be safe, take a class.

Very dissatisfied​

Very dissatisfied​
David​
August 28, 2018​
This product did not work correctly. Turned calipers on and made sure they were in the closed position. Zeroed the readout. Opened the jaws about 50mm and closed the jaws. Readout registered 4.5mm. Opened and closed again and the readout increase to 10.2mm. Zeroed again, opened jaws again, closed again, still not at zero. I don't know how you can even sell these as calipers.​

[shocked]

Pray you get one of the old ones, from the factory that's not turning out crap".

CzghXpUXUAAb5wq.jpg
Too many negative reviews are written by people too stupid too breath if it wasn't automatic. I take most of the reviews with a grain of salt unless there is clear evidence that it was written by someone who knew how to use the tool well enough to know if the tool was crap.

I haven't purchased any HF calipers in a couple of years so they may have moved into the unusable category but the many pairs I have purchased have worked okay at worst. The poor performers needed cleaning and/or adjustment because they were set too tight or too loose. They don't perform as well as top brands and are usually off a couple of thousandths out past 4-5 inches but that isn't enough to cause issues in reloading.

Biggest issue I did see was the crappy batteries they put in them - change out the battery to a good one and they perform quite well (until you drop them for the hundredth time)

Very dissatisfied​

Very dissatisfied​
David​
August 28, 2018​

[shocked]

CzghXpUXUAAb5wq.jpg
Its about time people know this

also when it comes to chinese factories its all depends on the quality of the quality control

Too many negative reviews are written by people too stupid too breath if it wasn't automatic. I take most of the reviews with a grain of salt unless there is clear evidence that it was written by someone who knew how to use the tool well enough to know if the tool was crap.

I haven't purchased any HF calipers in a couple of years so they may have moved into the unusable category but the many pairs I have purchased have worked okay at worst. The poor performers needed cleaning and/or adjustment because they were set too tight or too loose. They don't perform as well as top brands and are usually off a couple of thousandths out past 4-5 inches but that isn't enough to cause issues in reloading.

Biggest issue I did see was the crappy batteries they put in them - change out the battery to a good one and they perform quite well (until you drop them for the hundredth time)
Its even more fun when you peel a sticker off and theres a cheap brand sticker under that.
automotive parts are the same way.
To a point brand names are just slapping stickers on the same shit.

Its about time people know this

also when it comes to chinese factories its all depends on the quality of the quality control
I don't recommend digital calipers. I bought 4 of them when I started doing reloading classes. I've since replaced all 4 with dial calipers because the digital ones failed in ways that could've been dangerous.

I don't recommend digital calipers. I bought 4 of them when I started doing reloading classes. I've since replaced all 4 with dial calipers because the digital ones failed in ways that could've been dangerous.
I agree , I have a mid level Starrett dial that is my “quality” check. The 2 digi’s I have are for quick reference. It also does not hurt to check tour calipers with a a Gauge. I have a small set in 1” 1.5” and 2.5”
As mentioned some inexpensive calipers do strange things as you open them up.
You can poke around and fund some nice quality used stuff from retiring machinist.
Even toyo has some mid level $80-$125 calipers that are going to do real well for reloading.
My gauge set looks like this but only 3 piece. Came with some micrometers I bought used from a friend. These where new in package

Back
Top Bottom