• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting started rabbit hunting with my 22LR

I want to start rabbit hunting this year, and I'm just looking for advice getting started that might save me some time over making all my own mistakes.

I'm set as far as required courses, and I want to get started without having to buy any new firearms so I'm going to use my 15-22. Past that, I'm starting from scratch. So if you don't mind sharing good places to try, techniques, what sights you use, good people or books to learn from, whatever you think would help someone just starting out, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Rabbits seem to be most active during hours of low light, feeding in grassy areas. They don't seem to venture too far from the very dense brush they take cover in during midday. Rabbits also seem to think they have the power to become invisible, and will freeze if caught in the open until spooked. If you come across one, keep moving along until you're prepared to make a quick shot. Once you stop moving, there's not a lot of time before the rabbit feels his power of invisibility is wearing off, and he'll bolt into thick cover.

So:

You are a newbie,
without dogs,
lacking knowledge of a productive area
hunting without a shotgun

You are going to have a tough time.

I can't help you with a spot as all my rabbits come from private land. But there are towns within 1/2 hour of you with rabbits that also have state parks. I can't say there are rabbits in the parks, but it is likely. In addition to what pupchow wrote, I would spend a good amount of time in the woods when there is a little snow on the ground. google what tracks and droppings look like and put some time in the woods learning if the area is holding them.

Dave

Was out looking for rabbits this morning - nothing.

All summer the areas I checked were overflowing with rabbits - as of three weeks ago, I've seen only a couple. I did find where a nice doe was bedding down. Spooked her on my way into the area I scouted for rabbits and she froze in some dense scrub. It was too dark to get a good look but coming back through a couple of hours later I skirted around where she was and flushed her. In season I may have had a shot but she was also running toward a stream that would have boxed her in.

Back
Top Bottom