• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting started in Bullseye

Hi guys, I did a quick search on this and found some answers regarding the S&W model 22A, but wasn't sure if that is the same as the model 22 (I have a model 622). I'm looking into joining my local bullseye team and was wondering if my target model 622 is a good fit to start with. I'm in the process of buying another new pistol so can't afford to buy a nice target pistol right now. My only other option is a Hi-Standard HD-Military, which I know is a better target gun, but would prefer to not mount anything to it unless I could do it without making any permanent changes to it.

The Model 22/622 is a revolver, right? You could use that, as there is no rule against it, but most people use a pistol for ease of reloading and a light trigger. I think the Hi Standard would be a better choice, even if you use iron sights.

You can pick up a non-magnifying red dot scope for not a lot of money. I started off with a Millet which was less than $100. They come with rings and can usually be mounted to target guns without requiring any modifications, although you would need to verify if that is the case with yours or not. I know that some guys in the bullseye league (Twin County League - Plymouth & Bristol) I shoot in use Hi Standards and do quite well with them. http://www.highstandard.com/articles/AMER_RIF.pdf

This is the scope I use on my gun: http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Ultra-Dot-Match-Dot-30mm__UDMD30.aspx

There may be some people in your local team who can help you make some decisions about scopes, but some people use iron sights and shoot well, so it isn't absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the info! It is a pistol (see image below). The guy that runs the local team is going to look over both pistols for me and let me know his recommendations, but we won't be able to meet up for about a week. I figured I'd ask around before we meet so I at least have some knowledge of what options I have instead of not knowing anything.
4b435e3a-9343-f2d2.jpg

Interesting gun. I would just go ahead and use it with iron sights for a while, and get used to shooting in matches. I am willing to bet that if you join a team, the other members will let you try their guns from time to time, and you will start to develop preferences, and you can start to have a basis for making any decisions about equipment. There's a guy on one of the teams that often wins our league season that still uses iron sights and shoots quite well, so don't let anyone tell you that you MUST use a scope. Also, there are a lot of guys who shoot extremely well with $400 guns, so as nice as the fancy $1500 guns and their $100 magazines may be, you don't really need that.

The way the rules work, it is only the top 5 scores from each team that are used to calculate which team wins a match, so this takes any pressure off of you and allows you to work on your shooting at a pace that suits you. I am in my eighth season of shooting bullseye and never imagined that I would keep at it year after year, but I enjoy it and hope you do too.

As long as it has a decent trigger it will be be just fine for gallery shooting. I shoot in the Twin County league and can say people shoot just about anything you can think of. Lots of Pardinis, Walthers, Hammerlies, Rugers etc. Quite a few Marvel conversions, myself included - hence the user name. As long as it is reliable and reasonably accurate shoot it. Have fun - good luck.

Hi guys, I did a quick search on this and found some answers regarding the S&W model 22A, but wasn't sure if that is the same as the model 22 (I have a model 622). I'm looking into joining my local bullseye team and was wondering if my target model 622 is a good fit to start with. I'm in the process of buying another new pistol so can't afford to buy a nice target pistol right now. My only other option is a Hi-Standard HD-Military, which I know is a better target gun, but would prefer to not mount anything to it unless I could do it without making any permanent changes to it.

Where are you? Having Greg Derr look at it would be the best move you could make. If you ever decide to buy a Ruger I have one all set up I would be willing to sell..... If your close, you can try it out. I am no longer a member of a club with a Gallery team

Awesome info! I'm on the south shore. I wish I could buy a gun for this but just can't afford to right now. The trigger on the S&W isn't as nice as the Hi-Standard, but it still feels nice to me, and I can shoot it pretty accurately. I'm pretty excited about getting into this. I can act like a hermit sometimes and find myself going to the range when it's empty. It will be a nice change to shoot with other people and learn from them. I figured it would be a great way to get to know other people in my club too.

Awesome info! I'm on the south shore. I wish I could buy a gun for this but just can't afford to right now. The trigger on the S&W isn't as nice as the Hi-Standard, but it still feels nice to me, and I can shoot it pretty accurately. I'm pretty excited about getting into this. I can act like a hermit sometimes and find myself going to the range when it's empty. It will be a nice change to shoot with other people and learn from them. I figured it would be a great way to get to know other people in my club too.

Which team are you likely to join? I'm on the Hanson team.

A Marvel Conversion is a .22 caliber upper that replaces the barrel and slide of any 1911 and makes a very accurate pistol. They are quite popular in bullseye shooting because you have to use a 1911 for .45, unless you shoot a revolver, and a lot of people use their .45 for the center fire portion as well. What this does is allow you to shoot the whole match with the same style of gun. You could even use the same gun as it takes only about a minute to switch over.
www.marvelprecision.com

Since we are naming clubs New Bedford here. Both Tuesday and Thursday night leagues.

Which league is the Thursday night one? When you guys come to Hanson in the middle of Feb., I'll try to remember to ask who has the Marvel conversion so we can put faces to usernames.

Thursday is South Shore. Old Colony as you know, Marshfield - Greg Derr's home team, Braintree, Angletree, Sharon, Holbrook, Ames, Satucket (Bridgewater) and us.

I've shot a Marvel conversion and if you put one on a 1911 with a good trigger, they are fantastic.
I currently use a Ruger MKIII with a Volquartsen trigger kit, an Aimpoint 3000 (yeah it's old) and a set of fitted grips.
The Ruger was $339, the trigger kit was $91, the grips and aimpoint I had kicking around. I'm actually shooting this rig in a match for the first time this Tuesday. To me the most important thing is a good crisp, light trigger. You can shoot almost anything if you arent pushing the pistol all over the place due to a garbage trigger. The Ruger MKIII's are miserable out of the box and the 22/45's are far worse. Just get something reliable, with a good trigger and shoot a season. Believe me, shooting bullseye well takes practice.
The Ruger is a temporary gun for me just so I don't have to borrow one for matches, but I want to replace it with a Benelli, Pardini, Morini, Hammerli or Walther down the road.

Those conversion kits look awesome. I'll have to get one eventually for the SW1911PD I'm getting...but not before I get a nice target pistol :)

I shoot a Mk3 with Volquartsen goodies and an ultradot. I've got a long way to go before the equipment is holding me back. The one upgrade I am considering is a custom grip, as the VQ grip, while much better than stock, doesn't fit me that well. I think a red dot is almost a requirement, at least in the league I shoot. The lighting at most of the indoor ranges is terrible, so shooting irons is a real challenge.

Does your 622 have mounting holes for a scope base? How's the trigger?

Although I do not shoot bullseye, I do use a Marvel Conversion and have to say it is very accurate. Mags are a bit of $$ but lets face it, we don't shoot to save money! What ever you choose to do...enjoy!

I currently use a Ruger MKIII with a Volquartsen trigger kit, an Aimpoint 3000 (yeah it's old) and a set of fitted grips.

I have a similar setup:
Ruger MkIII 512
Aimpoint 1000
VQ Sear
VQ Volthane grips

Depending on the night I'm shooting mid-high 270's with an occasional 28?. There is probably another 10-15 points and a lot more practice before the gun is holding me back.

dscf9517_med.jpg

Like others have said try what you've got and try some other peoples guns. Most shooters are more than happy to let you try their guns.

Although I do not shoot bullseye, I do use a Marvel Conversion and have to say it is very accurate. Mags are a bit of $$ but lets face it, we don't shoot to save money! What ever you choose to do...enjoy!
Tim,
I have the Marvel Practical conversion....full slide. I use both the Marvel steel mags and the Kimber plastic mags with mine. The Kimber mags work great, and are 1/3 the price. Less if you get them on sale.

Old Colony

I am a member of the Old Colony Pistol Team. I recommend you come to the club this Thursday at 7:30 pm and there will be plenty of guns try and plenty of advice to share from the guys. Personally I'd stay away from the S&W Model 22 as a bullseye purchase as you'll be able to outshoot the accuracy of that gun pretty quickly. It's more of a plinker. I use a Marvel Conversion. It'll shoot a 5 shot group under 1/2 inch at 50Yds which is way better than I'll ever be able to shoot offhand. There are plenty of other solid options as well. -Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for the information. I can't make it this Thursday, unfortunately, due to a business trip. I spoke with Rick at the last club meeting and we're either going to get together at the following match or sometime before then at the club. I have a new 1911 in the works so maybe a Marvel kit would be the way for me to go.

Hello Gents

Another newb here. I'm also interested in bullseye shooting. I just joined Wankingquah rod and gun in Middleboro. Unfortunatly they don't have a competitive league at this time. Are there any events that are solo or are they all team events? Last but not least I have a Smith model 41 with plain sights. Would this get the job done?

Greg

Hello Gents

Another newb here. I'm also interested in bullseye shooting. I just joined Wankingquah rod and gun in Middleboro. Unfortunatly they don't have a competitive league at this time. Are there any events that are solo or are they all team events? Last but not least I have a Smith model 41 with plain sights. Would this get the job done?

Greg

A 41 with irons would do just fine. These are team events, but some clubs do not require that you be a club member to join the team. I know that is the case with Hanson, not sure about Plymouth, Acushnet, or New Bedford, or any of the others.

Hello Gents

I don't have any advice about bullseye matches/leagues in your area but the 41 is an excellent gun for bullseye. I would say that 95+% people in my league use a red dot. You can definitely get started with the irons though.

Back
Top Bottom