Getting so close to finishing this Hell build.....

35a8wgw.jpg

Finally getting to the end of this. Started from an 80% around the time it got down to Romney/Obama in the election. Fast forward to now and I'm reaching the home stretch. I have a BCG on hold which is the last big purchase.

I ruined one of my takedown springs and lost my buffer detent amd spring. Im thinking of buying the EZ out takedowns... still need FA, dustcover, charging handle, sights and a few more misc things.

I will be changing the stock and grip. Cheese City. Maybe thread the barrel and have a break welded on. Maybe.

I went into this one as cheap as possible since I bought in during the Madness (unintentionally). I wanted to have a functioning rifle with the lowest cost possible. I bought mostly from GB's and classified here.

I pissed about all the small crap I still need but whatever... doesnt matter now. Live and learn to take better care of your parts!

Thought id share with you all! Next 0-100 build will be an AK because I have been dying to do that. That may be a little more trying. AR was like Legos (minus the milling).

Cheers!!

[party][rockon][party]

tap all the holes on the lower for set screws. Saw in your post it said that you trashed a takedown spring and lost a couple other parts. First thing I do when I'm building a lower is thread in set screws for the take down pins and for that pain in the ass spring under the grip that almost always gets forgotten about as you unscrew the grip and then watch it fly across the room.

tap all the holes on the lower for set screws. Saw in your post it said that you trashed a takedown spring and lost a couple other parts. First thing I do when I'm building a lower is thread in set screws for the take down pins and for that pain in the ass spring under the grip that almost always gets forgotten about as you unscrew the grip and then watch it fly across the room.

You sir are a genius! Why have I never seen this before?

Lil anti seize and ill be in business. Thanks!!

You sir are a genius! Why have I never seen this before?

Lil anti seize and ill be in business. Thanks!!

lol, always amazes me that they don't come from the factory like this. Only thing you'll have to do is trim down the springs a little bit, because the set screw will take up a little space. It's 100% worth it though. Good luck on the rest of the build, I've done a couple 80% builds, they're a ton of fun.

lol, always amazes me that they don't come from the factory like this. Only thing you'll have to do is trim down the springs a little bit, because the set screw will take up a little space. It's 100% worth it though. Good luck on the rest of the build, I've done a couple 80% builds, they're a ton of fun.

Yeah youd think it would be implemented by now!

Yeah youd think it would be implemented by now!
Just another added step to drive up cost. Also there is no real reason to do so. Unless you constantly swapping out grips or stocks I just cant see the point. I have done one lower Norse or less just because I'm waiting on more parts and got tired of looking at the reciever just sitting there mocking me.

Just another added step to drive up cost. Also there is no real reason to do so. Unless you constantly swapping out grips or stocks I just cant see the point. I have done one lower Norse or less just because I'm waiting on more parts and got tired of looking at the reciever just sitting there mocking me.

Tapping the hole for the rear take-down pin makes TONS of sense. Especially since changing the stock has already been mentioned in the OP.

dessert1st, if you don't have a 4-40 tap, I do. I also have the set screws for that hole. If you want to come over and take care of that, just let me know. Takes all of a few minutes to do the alteration and then changing the stock, or endplate, will be stupid easy.

Tapping the hole for the rear take-down pin makes TONS of sense. Especially since changing the stock has already been mentioned in the OP.

dessert1st, if you don't have a 4-40 tap, I do. I also have the set screws for that hole. If you want to come over and take care of that, just let me know. Takes all of a few minutes to do the alteration and then changing the stock, or endplate, will be stupid easy.

Thanks for the offer man! I actually have a few tap and die sets around so im 90% sure the 4-40 hasnt escaped into the abyss. If I lost em, ill shoot you a PM.

Thanks again!

the obvious reason is to make it easy to maintain in the field during combat. less parts, basic tools. springs and detents come extra for spare parts.

Thanks for the offer man! I actually have a few tap and die sets around so im 90% sure the 4-40 hasnt escaped into the abyss. If I lost em, ill shoot you a PM.

Thanks again!

Just be sure to fully support the tap, or you could easily snap it. Easiest if you keep the tap vertical and use two fingers to support it as you run it. Only need about 1/8" of thread, so figure out how deep you need to run it (after the taper on the tap).

I got the set screws via Amazon back before the first 80% build party here. Cost of the screws was almost as much as the overnight shipping cost (Prime member). That was for 100 of them. It was cheaper to get the 100 than just a few from most places that have them (chances of your local hardware store having them is not good). I have about 40 or so of these set screws left. Far more than I'll need for myself.

Yeah I did the set screw on my lower just so I could keep the upper on till I get a buffer tube and stock . I could keep my safe cleaner doing this . I plan on using a prs stock and don't plan on taking it a part.

When you decided to build a ak hit me up . I got the tools for the rivets . I just lent them out to a different member .
Should be getting the threaded rod setup to press the barrel in and out. I got 2 psl's I'm building right now.

Back
Top Bottom