• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting rid of some geese

MAGA99

NES Member
So there are geese, the Canada kind, that have been farting around (and worse) at the beach at camp. They need to go. I have my hunting license but I have never hunted birds other than the type made of clay. How many crazy extra permits/stamps do I need to do this legally?

Contact ICE. Have them deported.

Seriously, I think the "bag limit" is only about 15 birds per year. Granted, if you got a couple of buddies to join the hunt you could take that many more, but I think Smokey may be right about the dog! To be succesful, I think you would really need to put some time money and effort into it.
You might consider trying to find some guys that are already bird hunting, to hunt the area, Unless you have always wanted to perfect your jerky making skills.

Most of the geese I have seen were skin and bones. I used to see a guy toss them all in a burn barrel. Nasty stink.

Hip survey
Fed duck stamp
Hunting license
Mass waterfouk stamp

Season is sep 4-21 then Jan 15 to Feb 15

But that won't solve your problem. They are there for a reason.....they must have a decent food source. They'll be back.

Get a dog......let the dog chase em around and they'll get sick of being there.

This is in NH, so just federal stamp? I k ow they need to be in flight to shoot, the deck overlooking the lake is kosher for discharge in NH, so kind of an at my leisure deal, maybe. There are ducks too but it’s the Canada geese that poop on the beach the most, just 7 of them.

If you do put some hunting pressure on them they do buzz off pretty quick. I was part of a controlled goose hunt on a popular and expensive golf countey club inside 495 last year. 500 geese crapping up the golf course. 2 days of a handful of guys archery hunting them and they completely vanished.

This is in NH, so just federal stamp? I k ow they need to be in flight to shoot, the deck overlooking the lake is kosher for discharge in NH, so kind of an at my leisure deal, maybe. There are ducks too but it’s the Canada geese that poop on the beach the most, just 7 of them.
There is no regulation that says they have to be in flight. However the old f***ing fudds will hold you in low esteem if you ground swat em.

There is no regulation that says they have to be in flight. However the old f***ing fudds will hold you in low esteem if you ground swat em.

Being held in low esteem by those that I hold in low esteem myself is ok with me! It’s easier that way especially from the safe elevated positions I have over them (big rock peninsula 15’ off water with deck on it). Success will make many people very happy.

Being held in low esteem by those that I hold in low esteem myself is ok with me! It’s easier that way especially from the safe elevated positions I have over them (big rock peninsula 15’ off water with deck on it). Success will make many people very happy.
Just to be clear.....I don't ground swat pheasants or waterfoul. I hunt for the challenge of Wing shooting. But that's me.......I dont judge hunters that operate in the limits of the regations. If someone wants to ground swat a goose......I don't give a shit....but I might spark up a conversation telling em how much fun and excitement there is in calling them in and hitting them when they pass.

I don't judge other hunters as long as they are hunting "legal".....what I believe is the "right way" doesn't mean it's the "only way". Wish I could say the same about all hunters......but it's a fickle crowd.....and a judgemental crowd that likes to eat it's own. Just ask most of the archery deer hunters what they think of driving deer (legal in mass) on opening day of shotgun season. Bow hunters up to that day have had 6 weeks to fill a tag.......and sputter and curse about the family and friends driving deer on opening Monday of shotgun whining about how drives should be illegal cuz it's not ethical. To that I say "piss off......you get 6 weeks I get 2.....if you Aint filled a tag in 6 f***ing weeks you ain't gonna anyway".

Last edited:
The early goose season in NH opens Sept.1 thru Sept.25, with a daily limit of 5. Visit the NH Fish and Game website for complete information, seasons and rules. What others have said here is correct, if you shoot a few the rest will usually get the message that they're not wanted around. As far as table fare, the breast meat is a dark red meat that's lean and you must be careful not to dry it out when cooking. It does smoke well and I've had some smoked goose breast that was flavorful and tender.

The early goose season in NH opens Sept.1 thru Sept.25, with a daily limit of 5. Visit the NH Fish and Game website for complete information, seasons and rules. What others have said here is correct, if you shoot a few the rest will usually get the message that they're not wanted around. As far as table fare, the breast meat is a dark red meat that's lean and you must be careful not to dry it out when cooking. It does smoke well and I've had some smoked goose breast that was flavorful and tender.
I gave him the mass goose season dates. My bad.

I've had excellent luck at the lake with a regularly-moved coyote decoy. Got it on Amazon. They used to walk up the steps and crap in my yard. Moving it every week or two ensures they don't get used to the spot and figure out it's a fake. No shooting necessary. Unless you want to.

Eff them! These are the same a-holes that want every coyote shot because they eat deer and don’t care one way or the other about a humane kill or using the animal. Their deer love falls on deaf ears with me.
As for ground swatting geese, the OP has geese with San Francisco hobo shitting habits: bring three guns to get around the mag limit and kill them all so you can stop stepping in green shit. Once that problem is done, then you can try calling and enjoy the hunt. Solve your vermin problem first.

"Ground swatting" (or water swatting) anything isn't as easy as it sounds. First, you have to get within shotgun range of a quarry that's paying attention to what's going on around them. Then, you have to be a good shot and not miss.

As far as to how big of a pest geese can be, Tuna's post above is pretty close to the bullseye.

"Ground swatting" (or water swatting) anything isn't as easy as it sounds. First, you have to get within shotgun range of a quarry that's paying attention to what's going on around them. Then, you have to be a good shot and not miss.

As far as to how big of a pest geese can be, Tuna's post above is pretty close to the bullseye.

Geese have a sense of entitlement.

Just last week I took a few pictures of half a dozen
busily turning today's grass into tomorrow's crap
at a beach picnic area in the Adirondacks.

The Designated Lookout Goose was giving me the Chloe side-eye®,
but the other five were usually chowing down with abandon.
And this was at a distance of 10 yards.

For geese eradication, fair chase is a non-issue. It's less about sport and more about getting rid of the flying crap-machines.

But I did see a group of guys shoot a Pheasant out of a tree once on release day. That's douchy and unsportsmanlike. Same guy probably drops dynamite into the local fishing hole, too.

elmer_fudd_hunting.gif

For geese eradication, fair chase is a non-issue. It's less about sport and more about getting rid of the flying crap-machines.

But I did see a group of guys shoot a Pheasant out of a tree once on release day. That's douchy and unsportsmanlike. Same guy probably drops dynamite into the local fishing hole, too.
Years ago I showed up at a wma about 30 minutes before legal shooting time. There was one truck already in the lot. I pulled in.....poured a coffee from the thermos and sat on my tailgate......dude that was already there gets out and comes over to me about 5 minutes before legal and says "that one's mine" and points to a rooster in a tree and walks back to his truck. Right at legal light he stands at the edge of the parking lot and blasts it out of the tree tosses it in his truck packed up and drove away. Probably went around showing all his buddies how great of a hunt he had too.

I don't go for pheasant anymore.....in mass it's a circus. I did take one pheasant last year when I was in the woods at a wma hunting squirrel.......a rooster wandered into my oa......so I tossed a stick at it to flush it and got him.

Sometimes the bird is just dumb, though.

I was walking around the swamp in Belchertown and saw a rooster on a log about 15 yards from shore. Tossed a couple sticks at it, nothing. Sat and had a cigar watching it, nothing, but it did turn his head a few times to watch me. Tossed a few more sticks and stones and it wouldn't budge. Finally said, "Screw it" and shot it. Then I realized that I'd have to wade / swim out to get the damn thing - that water was COLD! One of those times that I wished I had a dog, as annoying as I find them in the pheasant fields most time they are great at recovering birds.

Years ago I showed up at a wma about 30 minutes before legal shooting time. There was one truck already in the lot. I pulled in.....poured a coffee from the thermos and sat on my tailgate......dude that was already there gets out and comes over to me about 5 minutes before legal and says "that one's mine" and points to a rooster in a tree and walks back to his truck. Right at legal light he stands at the edge of the parking lot and blasts it out of the tree tosses it in his truck packed up and drove away. Probably went around showing all his buddies how great of a hunt he had too.

I don't go for pheasant anymore.....in mass it's a circus. I did take one pheasant last year when I was in the woods at a wma hunting squirrel.......a rooster wandered into my oa......so I tossed a stick at it to flush it and got him.

It was my only time and a complete s-show.

I'm not a fan in the first place. Pheasant aren't native nor are they releasing them to create habitat. They all get eated by wildlife or shot. So effectively WMA pheasant hunts in MA are just hunting welfare. I'm against welfare in principal for the most part, so I have a hard time supporting it in any way, shape or form.

Then you get the 500 trucks of guys for 6 or 8 birds.

It was a fun traipse around the mgmt preserve in Norton, tho.

THEN you get the dink Northwoods Law guys. Hey dude - go F yourself. "Everyone must have a hunting lic, driver's lic and FID/LTC." Uhhh, so if I was taking my son so he could watch, I'd be F'd. So much for "we see you doing something, we prosecute." Now we're down to "well, we can't be there, so we'll just assume you are wrong and ticket you." Guy was a total d-bag. Somehow in his mad dash to go truck-to-truck, he missed me. I had all my permits and such, but I was glad to not have to go through his BS.

Buddy told me a few years prior there was this female officer who was even WORSE. She got stuck in the mud and had the audacity to ask for help. No one helped. She F'd them. They F'd her right back.

If I really really really really wanna go pheasant hunting, I'll spend the $ to go to Addeville East. Hell, I don't even have a dog!

If I really really really really wanna go pheasant hunting, I'll spend the $ to go to Addeville East. Hell, I don't even have a dog!

Dogs are overrated. If well trained they are great.

I’ve never seen a well trained dog. All I ever see are purebred retards running all over wearing cowbells and beepers while the owner screams at them.
Several times I’ve come out from getting into thickets, wet sore and bleeding but with my limit to find the guys with the dogs at the parking lot have been skunked.

Dogs are overrated. If well trained they are great.

I’ve never seen a well trained dog. All I ever see are purebred retards running all over wearing cowbells and beepers while the owner screams at them.
Several times I’ve come out from getting into thickets, wet sore and bleeding but with my limit to find the guys with the dogs at the parking lot have been skunked.
I've seen well trained pheasant dogs once. Few years ago on the youth pheasant day with Danvers fish and game. The mentor they set my son up with was an old Italian guy.......he had a Brittney.....that dog was amazing. Worked back and forth until he got on a scent and then he started making a "snuffing" sound with his nose and the guy told my son to get close to the dog. Dog stopped total statue.....in a perfect point......guy told my son to get right behind the dog and "put your finger on the safety"......he yelled "go" and the dog pounded in and flushed the bird......my son nailed the rooster in one shot......less than a minute later the dog came back bird in mouth and dropped it at my son's feet! Fukin a incredible!

But....to your point....the dogs and hunters out in the welfare hunter fields generally suck.

It was my only time and a complete s-show.

I'm not a fan in the first place. Pheasant aren't native nor are they releasing them to create habitat. They all get eated by wildlife or shot. So effectively WMA pheasant hunts in MA are just hunting welfare. I'm against welfare in principal for the most part, so I have a hard time supporting it in any way, shape or form.

Then you get the 500 trucks of guys for 6 or 8 birds.

It was a fun traipse around the mgmt preserve in Norton, tho.

THEN you get the dink Northwoods Law guys. Hey dude - go F yourself. "Everyone must have a hunting lic, driver's lic and FID/LTC." Uhhh, so if I was taking my son so he could watch, I'd be F'd. So much for "we see you doing something, we prosecute." Now we're down to "well, we can't be there, so we'll just assume you are wrong and ticket you." Guy was a total d-bag. Somehow in his mad dash to go truck-to-truck, he missed me. I had all my permits and such, but I was glad to not have to go through his BS.

Buddy told me a few years prior there was this female officer who was even WORSE. She got stuck in the mud and had the audacity to ask for help. No one helped. She F'd them. They F'd her right back.

Phesant hunting in mass is a welfare program. My son and I stopped doing it and during the small game season we are in the woods for grey squirrel! We make a mean portugese stew with squirrel.

Sometimes the bird is just dumb, though.

I was walking around the swamp in Belchertown and saw a rooster on a log about 15 yards from shore. Tossed a couple sticks at it, nothing. Sat and had a cigar watching it, nothing, but it did turn his head a few times to watch me. Tossed a few more sticks and stones and it wouldn't budge. Finally said, "Screw it" and shot it. Then I realized that I'd have to wade / swim out to get the damn thing - that water was COLD! One of those times that I wished I had a dog, as annoying as I find them in the pheasant fields most time they are great at recovering birds.
That's because they are pen raised birds and used to people. My BIL hunted pheasant in Iowa and they have a natural population of them.....he said it was tough......the birds are actually wary of people.

Back
Top Bottom