Getting ready to move to CT - Out of State Pistol Permit Process

Hey All. I'm going to be moving from CA to CT on Feb 1, 2019. I just found through some online reading that it would be better for me to apply for a CT out-of-state pistol permit before moving to CT, as the process of an out-of-state applicant is much easier and faster than that of a CT resident. My initial question is: Is it worth it? If I call the CT state police now and request an application, I would wait 1 week. Then, I'd immediately mail it out with the expectation that it would start processing in the beginning of January. That gives me about 4 weeks until my move. What if by the time I move the application is still being processed? Where does that put me?

And if the best course of action is to apply for an out-of-state permit right now, then how do I know if the course I took in order to obtain my CA Orange County CCW meets CT's course requirements?

Any help/insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Is it worth it? Yes.
Request the application and mail it in immediately. If you move before the permit gets approved have it forwarded to where you are. What course did you take in CA? Most people have just taken the nra course.
Where in ct are you relocating to?

Ok I just requested it today and the lady that answered said that it will be mailed out today.

In CA, I didn't take an NRA course but rather my county (Orange County) maintains a list of approved providers. Each of these providers have a course that's distinctly for "Orange County CCW." I assume the county has set of requirements that each course must meet in order for a provider (and their course) to get on the "approved provider" list.

As for the course itself, it includes 16 hours of instruction, a written test, live fire exercise, and shooting a complete 72 round (minimum - depending on the number of weapons on the permit) qualification.

I'll be relocating to Norwalk

I received mine a few months back. They quoted a 4 month turn around and that is what it was; almost to the day.

Four separate checks were required for:
$15 fee to be fingerprinted.
$70 application fee
$75 CT fingerprint processing fee
$12 FBI fingerprint processing fee

The $15.00 finger print fee is because I had them do my prints there when I applied in person. I wanted to apply in person as I wanted to make sure that they would acccept my course from 1984 and they did as it had live fire.

Bob

@koop you should be good with that training record. If you’re given any hassles get in touch with the two state advocacy groups here: ccdl or Connecticut Carry. Each has helped those with getting resident and non-resident permits and I’m sure they ran into scenarios like yours before.

Thanks all. Very helpful. I wish I asked sooner and applied sooner. So I take it I need to be an out-of-state resident at the time of sending the application and not when it gets approved?

I'll be the first to say 'I don't know' but let the State try to prove that you're not a in-state resident when you receive it.

One possible wrinkle:

Change of Address
A person holding a state or local pistol permit is required to notify the issuing authority within two business days of any change of address. Persons holding state pistol permits may contact SLFU at (860) 685-8290 to update their address. The unit is open during normal business hours Monday through Friday of each week. A change of address may also be filed via E-mail at Special Licensing and Firearms Unit or by mailing a letter to Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, Division of State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT, 06457. Include your name, permit number, old address and new address.

Not sure how this applies if you don't actually HAVE the permit yet.

Back
Top Bottom