• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting pulled over

Status
Not open for further replies.
And whatever you do, do NOT tell the officer you're carrying by saying "I have a gun"... unless you LIKE the taste of asphalt, that is. As said here before, tell him you have an LTC or License to Carry... and THEN say something like "and I am doing so now."

The idea is to make them comfortable. If you look up "police shooting" or "resisting arrest" on youtube you'll understand why. Those dashboard cams capture a lot of crazy shit! Every time I've ever been pulled over I put the keys on the dash along with my driver's license and registration. I keep both hands on the dash and say "sir" a lot. They can tell I'm a harmless weenie right away when I do that.

Most LEOs, unless they are into shooting as a sport, would never make the connection of MA Reg: "SW500" having any gun-related significance.

Most LEOs, unless they are into shooting as a sport, would never make the connection of MA Reg: "SW500" having any gun-related significance.

I agree. In fact, very few people outside of you guys/gals have ever noted the significance.

O.K. So you are driving along, minding your own buisness with your favorite gun on your hip or under the shoulder and you get pulled over. Do the Police know if you are an LTC holder when they run the plates or check your license? If not, do you have an obligation to inform the officer that pulled you over that you are carrying, I'm thinking no. Anyone ever been in this situation before.---1903Collector

We 03C to my way of thinking it’s important that you let an LEO know that you have a firearm, know how to both efficiently and safely use it, as well as express your trust of the officer and his gun handling skills.

Taking in consideration the LEOs inability to hear due to traffic and such, I’d suggest waiting until the LEO is only a few steps away and as the LEO approaches your window, yelling in a loud voice “I have gun and I know how to use it”. I’m sure these are comforting words every LEO happily anticipates hearing in a dark isolated area.

This would be a good time to demonstrate your efficient and safe gun handing skills by quickly drawing your firearm from its holster, pushing it out of the car’s window and racking the slide quickly to jack a few rounds out of the magazine.

The sight of the firearm appearing suddenly a few feet from the LEOs face added to the sound of the racking slide should greatly impress any everyday LEO. This affect should be greatly enhanced if the LEO has seen your “From My Cold Dead Hands” bumper sticker and a large NES window decal as he approached your car!

Also this would be a good time inform the LEO of the trust you have for his gun handling skills by yelling “I’m not afraid to die”. LEOs like to be trusted and I’m sure you’ll be surprised at the respect the LEO will immediately give you.

Well good luck and let us know how things turned out for you! :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
This is why I have almost no gun stickers on my car, exc. for a GOAL window sticker and an RKBA oval sticker ....

"RKBA? Whuzzat stand for?"

"Why, Rochester Kennel and Boarding Association, officer..." [:D]

The top two things the cops worry about when pulling someone over are:
Getting hit by oncoming traffic.
Getting shot by the one being pulled over.

Good points, although maybe a bit off topic. I read a book about 15 years ago that was written by a retired NYSP Sgt. It was a "how to" on the best way to avoid a ticket if stopped. I gave it to a friend of mine that has been stopped several times, but I don't think it's done him much good. [grin]

The take home points were related to what you said. Don't make the officer nervous and do things to make his life easier. The last time I got stopped, which was in NH in 2000, I drove away with a "Please slow down and have a nice weekend sir", from the nice trooper.

The keys are,

1) Don't do anything stupid. If the officer comes up behind you and turns on the lights, DON'T slam on the brakes. He's got you anyway, so slowing down now isn't going to help. Especially if he rear ends you.

2) Acknowledge that you see him and then find a safe place to pull over. If he asks you why you didn't stop immediately tell him you were looking for a place that was safe for both of you.

3) Pull the car as far to the right as you can, put it in park, turn on the interior lights if it's dark, shut the engine off, pull the keys and put them on the dash, put your hands on the steering wheel and look straight ahead. When the officer approaches the vehicle and starts talking you should actually be surprised.

4) Let him do the talking and don't lie. If the officer asks you why he stopped you and really know, say so. It's not like he doesn't know why he stopped you.

5) Be polite. Even if he's young enough to be your son, call him sir. Or Trooper, is he's one. You're talking to the uniform not the person. There's a whole list of things not to say, but I'll leave it to one of the LEOs on the list to post them. Well, I'll include one thing.

6) DON'T do what a friends nephew did. Pulled over for doing about 90 on I-93, he rolled down his window and with joint in mouth looked at the Trooper and said, "What?". He now has a seven year suspension of his license. And no, I'm not making this up.

As to the original topic, I once did divulge that I was carrying with my LTC, but the officer didn't seem to care as he didn't ask for my LTC or for me to show him my license. Personally, unless he's going to ask me to get out of the car I'm going to keep my mouth shut. Now, if the officer asks "Do you have anything on you that could injure me"? I'm going to fess up. Not that it WILL injure him but the question is broad enough that not divulging it could cause problems.

Gary

In Mass I don't think you HAVE to tell them but last night I pulled out of a ice cream shop and forgot the headlights haha. When the trooper asked for my license before reaching (hands palm side up as standard procedure for me) I told him that I had a CCW permit and was currently carrying. I then got my license and registration for him. When he came back he chatted me up about guns for about 10 minutes and then said "have a good night". Once we are past a hi, bye situations I always inform them. I like to put them at ease because then they will be more relaxed which is good for everyone.

3) Pull the car as far to the right as you can, put it in park, turn on the interior lights if it's dark, shut the engine off, pull the keys and put them on the dash

And if you have power windows, roll down the windows BEFORE you take the keys out. No sense in starting up your car engine all of a sudden (to get the windows down) and alarm the officer.

And if you have power windows, roll down the windows BEFORE you take the keys out. No sense in starting up your car engine all of a sudden (to get the windows down) and alarm the officer.

Good point. Although you don't have to start the engine, just put the key in the run position. Even so, it's one of those "DUH" things that you don't want to do.

Gary

I have no problems with civilians carrying...

Cops are not subject to the UCMJ,therefore cops are civilians.I'm surprised after 30 years in 'the force',you don't know this and still refer to people that aren't cops as civilians..

As far as the original question..NEVER volunteer information to ANY cops.They can and will use it against you if the mood strikes them.Hell,they could turn it into probable cause if they are bored enough.

Last edited:
We 03C to my way of thinking it’s important that you let an LEO know that you have a firearm, know how to both efficiently and safely use it, as well as express your trust of the officer and his gun handling skills.

Taking in consideration the LEOs inability to hear due to traffic and such, I’d suggest waiting until the LEO is only a few steps away and as the LEO approaches your window, yelling in a loud voice “I have gun and I know how to use it”. I’m sure these are comforting words every LEO happily anticipates hearing in a dark isolated area.

This would be a good time to demonstrate your efficient and safe gun handing skills by quickly drawing your firearm from its holster, pushing it out of the car’s window and racking the slide quickly to jack a few rounds out of the magazine.

The sight of the firearm appearing suddenly a few feet from the LEOs face added to the sound of the racking slide should greatly impress any everyday LEO. This affect should be greatly enhanced if the LEO has seen your “From My Cold Dead Hands” bumper sticker and a large NES window decal as he approached your car!

Also this would be a good time inform the LEO of the trust you have for his gun handling skills by yelling “I’m not afraid to die”. LEOs like to be trusted and I’m sure you’ll be surprised at the respect the LEO will immediately give you.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Are you O.K. [thinking]

I have had two interactions with MA state police officers while armed.

The first i was on 95S going a little faster then the speed limit but no faster then traffic and got bagged. I had my Glock on my hip and about 20 long guns in the back locked in hard cases. In the few moments it took me to get over 3 lanes i laid out in detail to my two friends in the car what they needed to do (hands in sight, no sudden movements etc).

Now I normally tell people to not hand over there LTC or notify an officer unless you have been asked to step out of the vehicle, but with long cases marked "BUSHMASTER" visible in the rear of my car i figured it would be a good move. Had my hands on the wheel when the officer approached, handed over my DL and LTC and waited for him to ask me to get my REG. He took the REG turned and took one step towards his cruiser and stopped. Stepped back and asked "any weapons in the car?". I replied "Yes sir", and he walked back to his cruiser. Came back and told me to slow it down.

Second time was on 95N (ya i know i should avoid 95) the guy in front of me rear ended the car in front of him at about 45mph. I jumped out and checked on both drivers, both being "fine" i called the MA state police. After hanging up with them i noticed alot of smoke coming from the car and while trying to pry the guys door open (at his request) to get him out a state trooper pulled up and was on top of the situation in 1 second flat. I honestly had no idea if my gun was covered or not. Not knowing if any of the other people that stopped saw my gun or not i handed the trooper my LTC. He took a quick look at it, nodded at me and handed it back.

Don't think i could ask for much better.

Cops are not subject to the UCMJ,therefore cops are civilians.I'm surprised after 30 years in 'the force',you don't know this and still refer to people that aren't cops as civilians..

As far as the original question..NEVER volunteer information to ANY cops.They can and will use it against you if the mood strikes them.Hell,they could turn it into probable cause if they are bored enough.

Greg, are you a member of the Black Panthers?

Respectfully,

jkelly

Damn you jkelly, damn you to hell. There I was on Rte 3 in NH last night driving home from the range. I was going a little too fast as I was late for my dinner. I didn't see that NH State Trooper sitting at a speed trap. After a brief chase, like a good citizen I pulled over as quickly and safely as I could. Worried that he might be upset at the sight of my loaded Sig P229 that I had resting on my dash I remembered your advice from earlier in the day jkelly.

I clearly shouted the instructions as you indicated, racked the gun a few times and even let off a shot to prove my marksmanship skills. I now have two black eyes, a terrible twitch from the tazering and a nasty limp from the cavity search they performed.

Can you please tell me what I did wrong?

P.S. My lawyer will be contacting you.

P.P.S. It's a really slow day today [wink]

Last edited:

Almost like the guy in my town with the 40 S & W plate.......

I clearly shouted the instructions as you indicated, racked the gun a few times and even let off a shot to prove my marksmanship skills. I now have two black eyes, a terrible twitch from the tazering and a nasty limp from the cavity search they performed.---pipmaster1971

Wow, what a coincidence, you must have run into the same LEO that the last guy I helped ran into. That Leo was obviously jealous of your fine skill set.

But now that you’re spending the week end in detention I’ve got some good advice on how to quickly gain the respect of the various ethnic groups that you may not belong to.

The advice evolves honoring their status by picking out three or four of the biggest and meanest looking fellas, relating a few ethnic jokes and a couple of “Your Mother” jokes. The advice must work well, as I’ve never heard back from any one who has used it. Let me know if you think you may need the information. :)

Yes. You listened to JKelly!---Scrivner
But most only listen once. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Vaseline? What are you, stuck in the 70s over there or what? [rolleyes]

Astroglide you fool! [laugh]

home_right_panel.jpg
A bunch of shooters from a club in Rochester, NY formed their own team and contacted Astroglide asking for a sponsorship. I don't think they got funding, but they did end up passing out Astroglide samples at a match.

Cops are not subject to the UCMJ,therefore cops are civilians.I'm surprised after 30 years in 'the force',you don't know this and still refer to people that aren't cops as civilians...
+1

You (cop) ARE a civilian. So I am. Though for ten years I was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom