Getting new MA license plates

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I need to replace my license plates on my truck because the front is barely readable after a decade of going up and down the highway from the S. Shore to the city. Anyone done this yet now that they've been cracking down on unreadable plates? I need to get my truck inspected and I know they are supposed to fail you now if your plate is as bad as mine is. Anyhow I assume I just walk into hell...I mean, into the RMV with the plates and tell them what I'm there for? The MA RMV website is useless as a soul on a Democrat.

EDIT: Ahh crap rookie mistake...I thought I was posting this in the Off Topic section...can't delete it now though.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I need to replace my license plates on my truck because the front is barely readable after a decade of going up and down the highway from the S. Shore to the city. Anyone done this yet now that they've been cracking down on unreadable plates? I need to get my truck inspected and I know they are supposed to fail you now if your plate is as bad as mine is. Anyhow I assume I just walk into hell...I mean, into the RMV with the plates and tell them what I'm there for? The MA RMV website is useless as a soul on a Democrat.
We had to do that with my moms plates. They're special low number plates so it took damn near a year. I fully believe there was some kind of racial motivation behind it because the first time I talked with a superviser about it, he had an attitude. When I asked his name all he would tell me is "Mr. Washington, and that's all you need to know." I went back maybe a month later and they had basically no idea what was going on...someone told me that my moms plates had gone up for a lottery because they jad been "abandoned". When I said I had talked to "Mr. Washington" previously and he said he was taking care of it, they called him over and he didn't remember me OR the situation. Finally my mom went in after maybe 3 months of the initial situation with Mr. Washington and some nice woman superviser helped my mom and started the whole thing over...and it still took maybe 6 months to get them. She had to re-up her registration in the meantime (with the shitty new plates we had while waiting for her "new" old plates), and then when her new "old" plates came back she had to pay again. It sucked.

Good luck! [grin]

Talon3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Theres a trick....

Follow this from the RMV FAQ @ http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/registration.htm#r15

**there is a trick do not report both as lost at the same time as they will issue you a complete new set**

***report one lost pay the 10.00 within 2 weeks you will receive the new plate in the mail. Wait a week or so and repeat the process. If the drone on the phone has an issue claim bad luck****

How can I get a new plate to replace one that I've lost?

Replacement plates may be ordered from an RMV branch or over the phone (617-351-4500 or 800-858-3926). The fee is $10 per plate. You will be issued a temporary plate permit to keep in the vehicle until the plate arrives. You may obtain an inspection with this permit, if needed. If both of your plates were lost or stolen, you must obtain a new set of plates (new plate/registration number) from an RMV branch.

Unfortunately, green plates cannot be replaced with the same number. You may exchange them for two new red ones (new plate/registration number) for no fee by visiting an RMV branch with a signed and stamped RMV-3 (provided by your insurance agent).

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
My dealer told me that they were supposed to replace all green plates with red plates (i.e., fail the vehicle) but they passed my truck anyways.

Several weeks later when I went to register a car I bought from George D here there was a sign in the RMV that said that if plates were readable from 60 feet that they did not have to be replaced.

AFAIK if you have to replace plates for this purpose then the RMV is not supposed to charge you.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
the plates are the property of the state, for all intents and purposes. SO, they should be replacing them for no charge IMHO

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Yea but aren't you the one that lost/destroyed/made unreadable said plates?
everyday wear and tear of the nature of the license plate should not be held against someone who is REQUIRED to have them. They want me to have them, they can replace them if they get lost/damaged/stolen, etc. I dont care what they look like. If it were up to me, I would not bother with replacing them, etc etc.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
everyday wear and tear of the nature of the license plate should not be held against someone who is REQUIRED to have them. They want me to have them, they can replace them if they get lost/damaged/stolen, etc. I dont care what they look like. If it were up to me, I would not bother with replacing them, etc etc.
they're issued to you, you're supposed to maintain them. yea, you're required to have them, so? thats like if I lent you a pen, you destroyed it, and gave it back saying you want a new one, and that its not your fault and i need to give you a new pen because i need you to fill out this form. No deusche-nut, dont break my pen and then demand a free replacement!

wow, completely lost my train of thought and I can't tell if I'm being serious any more or not. I shouldn't take my laptop to the toilet with me anymore.... [thinking][slap]

yanici

NES Member
Rating - 97.2%
35   1   0
My wife just swapped her unreadable red plates. Just walk in and they will give you new ones. You'll end up with different numbers on the plate, that's all. Easey peasey. No charge. It took ten minutes.[grin]

cstockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would have simply touched up the red paint and have been done with it. Not very hard with some masking tape and red paint that closely matches the plates. Easier than fighting the idiots that work for the state and the stupid laws they have to enforce.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
they're issued to you, you're supposed to maintain them. yea, you're required to have them, so? thats like if I lent you a pen, you destroyed it, and gave it back saying you want a new one, and that its not your fault and i need to give you a new pen because i need you to fill out this form. No deusche-nut, dont break my pen and then demand a free replacement!

wow, completely lost my train of thought and I can't tell if I'm being serious any more or not. I shouldn't take my laptop to the toilet with me anymore.... [thinking][slap]
and unless you can guarantee there is a way to prevent 100% of wear and tear from reasonable use, then I dont see why one should have to pay money forward for anything plate related.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Actually painted the plates. Brought them back in and was told it wasn't acceptable.
Did you use reflective paint? I know the white background is reflective, not sure about the numbers/letters.

George D

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My dealer told me that they were supposed to replace all green plates with red plates (i.e., fail the vehicle) but they passed my truck anyways.

Several weeks later when I went to register a car I bought from George D here there was a sign in the RMV that said that if plates were readable from 60 feet that they did not have to be replaced.

AFAIK if you have to replace plates for this purpose then the RMV is not supposed to charge you.
That is correct. I was just at the Registry and there is a sign stating that plates unreadable from 60' need to be replaced but they were free.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/12/green_license_p.html

I actually hate the front plate on my car. A friend of mine just bought a brand new green plate from a company in FL and they passed inspection no problem.

Top Bottom