Getting my Garand from Alabama to MA

Hi folks. My dear brother-in-law drove 2 hrs to the CMP store in Alabama and bought us each an M1.Thinking I could just lock it in a hard case, put it in the trunk, and bring it back the next time we drive down for a visit. Now I discover this can be complicated (and perilous?) Any advice you experienced people can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Put rifle in locked case, put locked case in trunk, drive north. Don't stop overnight in New York or New Jersey. You'll be ok driving through them and stopping for gas or food though.

Hi folks. My dear brother-in-law drove 2 hrs to the CMP store in Alabama and bought us each an M1. Thinking I could just lock it in a hard case, put it in the trunk, and bring it back the next time we drive down for a visit. Now I discover this can be complicated (and perilous?) Any advice you experienced people can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

that's a nice present your BIL bought for you.

Next time you're down there, have a FFL transfer it from him to you. Then, secure it in compliance with FOPA, and transport it back to MA.

A FA-10 is required to be submitted within seven days of its arrival in MA. Check "Registration", and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove from California to New Hampshire with my AR-15 and several other guns in the car. Just obey the speed limit, don't do anything to provoke a cop searching your vehicle. Also call your hotels ahead of time explaining you are traveling with firearms(Say your a hunter) and do they have any problems with you keeping them in your room.

First, I would edit your post.

Second, that's a nice present your BIL bought for you.

Next time you're down there, have a FFL transfer it from him to you. Then, secure it in compliance with FOPA, and transport it back to MA.

A FA-10 is required to be submitted within seven days of its arrival in MA. Check "Registration", and complete the form, leaving the "Seller" section blank.

Let me add, print out a copy of FOPA and keep it handy so that if you do have a discussion with a local cop, you have your facts in order. Also, make sure you have documentation that demonstrates you can possess the rifle in both states (have your FID card with you) because that is one of the requirements of FOPA.

Don't do anything to upset or piss of any cop along the way. You may have the law on your side, but a pissed off copy can still make life miserable if they choose to.

Take the train. Garands love a nice train ride...

trooptrain.jpg

I know, I know. It's a M1903, but I couldn't find a photo of a Garand AND a train...

Put rifle in locked case, put locked case in trunk, drive north. Don't stop overnight in New York or New Jersey. You'll be ok driving through them and stopping for gas or food though.

I would go so far as to also stay out of NY or NJ as much as possible! Go by way of PA, and just cross over a short strip of NY. Why go looking for douche bags in two states that are over-run with them??

Also call your hotels ahead of time explaining you are traveling with firearms(Say your a hunter) and do they have any problems with you keeping them in your room.

man, I wouldn't do that. Sounds like a good way to get your hotel room broken into! Also, what right do they have to know what you are bringing in. Use a back door and STFU. In most of the states, the hotels assume you have a gun with you!

Get a C&R license... Allows interstate travel- like someone else said- no stopping in NY!!!! Or... ship it here UPS.

Hi folks. My dear brother-in-law drove 2 hrs to the CMP store in Alabama and bought us each an M1.Thinking I could just lock it in a hard case, put it in the trunk, and bring it back the next time we drive down for a visit. Now I discover this can be complicated (and perilous?) Any advice you experienced people can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would go so far as to also stay out of NY or NJ as much as possible! Go by way of PA, and just cross over a short strip of NY. Why go looking for douche bags in two states that are over-run with them??

The downside of this is that the small strip of NY you have to cross is right near the city and CT, which is by far the anti-gun area of NY. Upstate NY is far less likely to care about firearms, although the time of exposure is longer.

If I was you I would look up the state laws of each state you drive through to see what the laws are for travveling through that state .
I belive the laws are the same as Ma. Locked in a gun case and in the trunk. No ammo. {to be safe}

It's a long gun. Put it in a rack in your back window until you hit NY, then put in on the back seat and throw a blanket over it.

File an FA-10 form when you get back to MA.

(To be safe, I would put it in a case. Anything beyond that is overkill. Just don't keep it loaded.)

man, I wouldn't do that. Sounds like a good way to get your hotel room broken into! Also, what right do they have to know what you are bringing in. Use a back door and STFU. In most of the states, the hotels assume you have a gun with you!

This. I traveled around Texas, then Louisiana, then Alabama and stayed at different hotels. I never once mentioned what was in that long black case on wheels I dragged behind me. No sense in confirming something so some hotel worker can call her boyfriend and he can come over and steal it.

When I'm traveling with my Garand and want to get a motel room I just pull a blond wig over her muzzle and sign the ledger "Mr & Mrs Smith"
She is really quite fetching. Kinda looks like a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig...

Take the train. Garands love a nice train ride...

I know, I know. It's a M1903, but I couldn't find a photo of a Garand AND a train...
Due to some inter-service politics, servicemen in WWII were trained on M1903's, then issued Garands in theater for most of the war.

Back
Top Bottom