Getting LTC in Woburn???

cjmass

NES Member
Friend age 27, with his firearms safety course certificate and an unblemished record, called Woburn police to schedule appointment to apply for LTC. He said that the female officer on the phone harshly told him that he had better have read and studied all written materials on MA firearms law.
She also told him that all first time LTC applicants, who are not business owners, are restricted to a hunting and or sporting/target LTC, with no all purpose LTC's being issued to new applicants.
This does not sound right to me, and I would appreciate it if anyone could provide me with any information on this, and what, if anything my friend can do about it...since he wants an all purpose LTC.
Also, feedback from anyone who is familiar with how the LTC application and interview processes is handled in Woburn would be very helpful...including whether they question you on your knowledge of the firearms laws? Thanks so much!!!

Per the chief in a discussion, he only issues ALP to Woburn business owners or people who require the gun for their job, like a security guard. My interview wasn't really an interview. I sat down with the lady and she took my printed app and walked me through every question and entered my answers into the computer. It was pretty painless.

first, the woman who does the firearms licensing is maureen garrity. not outing her, shes listed as the person to call for info and appointments, etc. on the woburn pd website. maureen is a civilian worker, not a cop and i doubt it was maureen who your buddy talked to because Maureen doesn't talk to anyone "harshly." she's a real nice woman who's main job is taking applications and renewals. and compared to other nightmare towns i read about here, does a pretty efficient job of it. the woman seems pretty flat out and usually her calls go to voice mail. it's unusual if it takes longer than 1/2 hr to 45 min for her to return the call.

yes, it seems true that first timers get a restricted ltc. i know when i went for my first ltc in 1970 that was policy then. it was target & hunting then. if you have a need or extreme circumstance they probably will issue a first timer an unrestricted. don't know who started that policy but every chief, and it's been 3 since i first got mine, seems to be unwilling to set precedent and do otherwise. but they will change it in most instances upon renewal.

i didn't know the part about knowing the laws but if your friend visits the police website, they have a link that will download a pdf file to him with the law changes he's expected to be familiar with. do they take a test? don't know, call Maureen at the station. i just got done looking at it and it's pretty basic stuff, transport, storage, etc. back in 1972, i went down in the middle of my first ltc and saw the chief to request a change to protection of life and property. he told me he doesn't make changes until renewal. i should come back and see him when that time came came to discuss it. i did and he sent me to the library to look up the firearm mgl, read them, and come back to him when i was done. i did, all he asked was did i understand them and did i have any questions. he approved the change in front of me before i left.

i would encourage your friend to go on the Woburn pd website firearm application section and read it. it's has everything they require plus the law downloads they want you to read and maureens phone number. in Woburn, you don't deal with a uniformed officer regarding a ltc. if your talking to the desk guy who answers the phone, well, they don't know cause it's not their job to know the procedure. as i said before, compared to 95% of other massachusetts cities and towns, Woburn is painless. hell, they even mail your ltc to your home as soon as it comes in. my experience, always had a renewal in hand no later than 3-4 weeks after the paperwork went in.

Last edited:
Friend age 27, with his firearms safety course certificate and an unblemished record, called Woburn police to schedule appointment to apply for LTC. He said that the female officer on the phone harshly told him that he had better have read and studied all written materials on MA firearms law.
She also told him that all first time LTC applicants, who are not business owners, are restricted to a hunting and or sporting/target LTC, with no all purpose LTC's being issued to new applicants.
This does not sound right to me, and I would appreciate it if anyone could provide me with any information on this, and what, if anything my friend can do about it...since he wants an all purpose LTC.
Also, feedback from anyone who is familiar with how the LTC application and interview processes is handled in Woburn would be very helpful...including whether they question you on your knowledge of the firearms laws? Thanks so much!!!

I have had a LTC for over 40 years and have lived in 5 different cities and towns during that period of time, and let me tell you there is nothing fair or structured about the way licenses are issued. It may not sound right to you, but I'm sorry to say that's just the way it is.

Cops quizzing someone on firearms law is pure comedy gold. I'd love to see that happen and watch them expose their gross ignorance.
Well maybe if they quiz enough applicants the officer that does this might actually learn something about the Mass gun laws! :D Look at the bright side. j/k

Well maybe if they quiz enough applicants the officer that does this might actually learn something about the Mass gun laws! :D Look at the bright side. j/k
I took a citizen's police academy once. One of the people asked the officer running it a question about the FID and he was completely clueless. Well...err...umm...well yah....you def need a license to have a gun...but ask the Lt...he da licensing officer.
Well that's wonderful. What happens when this bozo pulls someone over and has to look at their firearms license?

Per the chief in a discussion, he only issues ALP to Woburn business owners or people who require the gun for their job, like a security guard. My interview wasn't really an interview. I sat down with the lady and she took my printed app and walked me through every question and entered my answers into the computer. It was pretty painless.

This is exactly how my interview went in my North Central MA town.

Unfortunately this is the way it is. I’ve never had anyone rude to me, Maureen is good people. The chief will not issue an unrestricted.
I’m up for my first renewal later this year.

Maureen is awesome and a very nice lady. Ive spoken with her a few times about my kids FID cards (both areMinor applicants). She has also issued ALP licenses to a few people I know upon renewal.

first, the woman who does the firearms licensing is maureen garrity. not outing her, shes listed as the person to call for info and appointments, etc. on the woburn pd website. maureen is a civilian worker, not a cop and i doubt it was maureen who your buddy talked to because Maureen doesn't talk to anyone "harshly." she's a real nice woman who's main job is taking applications and renewals. and compared to other nightmare towns i read about here, does a pretty efficient job of it. the woman seems pretty flat out and usually her calls go to voice mail. it's unusual if it takes longer than 1/2 hr to 45 min for her to return the call.

yes, it seems true that first timers get a restricted ltc. i know when i went for my first ltc in 1970 that was policy then. it was target & hunting then. if you have a need or extreme circumstance they probably will issue a first timer an unrestricted. don't know who started that policy but every chief, and it's been 3 since i first got mine, seems to be unwilling to set precedent and do otherwise. but they will change it in most instances upon renewal.

i didn't know the part about knowing the laws but if your friend visits the police website, they have a link that will download a pdf file to him with the law changes he's expected to be familiar with. do they take a test? don't know, call Maureen at the station. i just got done looking at it and it's pretty basic stuff, transport, storage, etc. back in 1972, i went down in the middle of my first ltc and saw the chief to request a change to protection of life and property. he told me he doesn't make changes until renewal. i should come back and see him when that time came came to discuss it. i did and he sent me to the library to look up the firearm mgl, read them, and come back to him when i was done. i did, all he asked was did i understand them and did i have any questions. he approved the change in front of me before i left.

i would encourage your friend to go on the Woburn pd website firearm application section and read it. it's has everything they require plus the law downloads they want you to read and maureens phone number. in Woburn, you don't deal with a uniformed officer regarding a ltc. if your talking to the desk guy who answers the phone, well, they don't know cause it's not their job to know the procedure. as i said before, compared to 95% of other massachusetts cities and towns, Woburn is painless. hell, they even mail your ltc to your home as soon as it comes in. my experience, always had a renewal in hand no later than 3-4 weeks after the paperwork went in.
Painless? He made you go to the library to do homework? That's not painless in my opinion.

first, the woman who does the firearms licensing is maureen garrity. not outing her, shes listed as the person to call for info and appointments, etc. on the woburn pd website. maureen is a civilian worker, not a cop and i doubt it was maureen who your buddy talked to because Maureen doesn't talk to anyone "harshly." she's a real nice woman who's main job is taking applications and renewals. and

that happened 50 years ago on my petition to get changed to life and property. sorry you're offended.
Not offended.

I came from Revere with Class A unrestricted to Woburn (Wu) over 25 years ago. Every one of the ladies (there have been a few) who processed my LTC were all nice and pleasant. Since I had a Class A already my first renewal after moving to Woburn was also unrestricted. Same thing for my wife and her LTC renewal. When my kid turned 21 she went for her LTC she got restricted, while working PT at The Armory. On her first renewal she received unrestricted.

“You guys seem pretty satisfied about having your rights infringed upon....”

hey, it’s fun being neutered !

Back
Top Bottom